Reviving a rusty, dented hood. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This one is a bit bend and rusted.
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG

First I took everything off and then drilled out the spot welds.
IMG_1260.JPG

Fitted the inside and frame on the car.
IMG_1261.JPG

This one needs some work too but that is for a later time.
I found a blasting cabinet, won't be here for a few weeks so this has to wait.
IMG_1262.JPG

The frame is bend a lot, looking at my '78 for the right angle.
IMG_1263.JPG

The bib does not look that difficult to repair.
IMG_1264.JPG

Only the bottom is gone but there is just enough left to function as a template.
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG

First step was to cut a new lower part and bend the bottum side.
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG

Drilled the internal reinforcement out.
IMG_1271.JPG

Tip to tip needs to be 83 cm
IMG_1272.JPG

As it is difficult to get the correct with when you shrink the curves I decided to make the reinforcement in three parts.
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG

Cut out the bottom of the bib.
IMG_1276.JPG

Seeing what you have done with the hood these parts should be a cake walk for your skills!! This ia assume seeing how you repair and fabracate this stuff!! Great job !!!

JP

Bottom cut out.
IMG_1277.JPG

Patch in for fitting.
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG

Patch clamped in position and the holes marked. First reinforcement part in position.
IMG_1281.JPG

Aprons are usually no more than $20ea. I can't imagine your time is worth less than that.

That works if you are in the US. There are not a lot of manufacturors of 40 steel in Europe. The cost of shipping something from the US make everything expensive.
Plus I like to see how much I can recreate, this one is not so much about getting it on the road but more about the road to get there.

Fuse blew on the compressor and its in an other space that was not accessable.
So I started to fool arround with my fender. It had a lot of bad dents and folds from the crash.
I decided to run it through the English wheel. It took about 10 minutes to get the big wrinkles out.
IMG_1355.JPG

The old patch in the side has some ugly welds and needs to come out so I didn't wheel that part.
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG

Wow! Great job and you were patient enough to take pics as you went along. Best of luck with the rest of the project.

after cutting.
7B7D1057-DAA2-4965-8BF4-5ACC5223081D.jpeg

some fitting, masaging and grinding.
20653378-9467-4303-8D4F-BBB6D14CDD9E.jpeg

welding and continuing around the corner.
BF5298DF-3C18-4C71-B08F-F27E318471BF.jpeg

theologie steel does not like to be welded much.😏
39DA93C4-81C4-42E7-916C-16CD5E0C7327.jpeg

Nice work, keep going..

just a thought a cheep dc tig will save you some time and money, or some .023 wire for a mig over brazing...
when you get to the finishing part a map gas torch with a pencil tip works well for shrinking, one of the best tools i have for body work is a dhrinking disc...

Nice work, keep going..

just a thought a cheep dc tig will save you some time and money, or some .023 wire for a mig over brazing...
when you get to the finishing part a map gas torch with a pencil tip works well for shrinking, one of the best tools i have for body work is a dhrinking disc...
I am using an AC/DC tig for welding and brazing and have a small gas torch for shrinking, works well thank you.
The interesting thing about brazing is that you can use the abrasive pads on the 2” grinder to smooth them out with the steel as they don’t take off much steel but will take off the copper silicium.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom