Meet "Rusty" - 1978 USA - FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More pics

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

I need to order the inside latch handle bezels and can check this off the "to do" list.

1703366517856.png

I got the rims back from powder coating, installed the new Kenda tires 33x9.5/15. It rides nice… much smoother. The speedometer is off about 5 mph's at 40 mph. If the speedo says 40 mph, I am actually going 45 mph (according to WAZE). I like the improved RPM advantage. I don't have a tach installed but I can definitely tell that it is not revving as hard when I am up around 45-55 mph. I know there is a math formula I can do to figure it out exactly, but I am not worried about it. It rides smoother, looks better, and cruises at a lower RPM… that’s win, win, win to me.

The driver side wheel rubs against the steering box pitman arm if I turn all the way to the left, but other then that they fit good.

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. You can adjust the wheel stops so the tire doesn't turn as much and rub the pitman arm.

I got Belle out and drove her around the neighborhood for a few mins today. I thought I would let Rusty and Belle pose for some pics together. Their build dates are about 7 months apart, so it is pretty cool to think about how many of their parts were probably in the building in Japan together back in late 77 early 78. They were probably assembled by the same people on the assembly line, they have traveled around the world, and are reunited in my driveway 45 years later.

View attachment 3473971

View attachment 3473972

View attachment 3473973

View attachment 3473974
those cruiser's are always multiplying.....:cheers:

Looks good. You can adjust the wheel stops so the tire doesn't turn as much and rub the pitman arm.
Yes, good call. I forgot about that!

Took Rusty out for some trail ridding today! Earl's Ford and Sarah's Creek in North GA

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

Last edited:
one more pic

Rusty did great... two hour drive to the trail, wheeled about 6 hours and drove 2 hours home.

IMG_9964.jpg

Looks really good @DirtDauberGarage! Couple questions, are you still filming these things you're working on for your youtube channel? I did enjoy watching your guys' work on the blue Belle. Has your son lost complete interest in the FJ40s or is this like a father and son now you both have an FJ40 or is this just your second one? lol Has the FJ55 taken a back back seat now to both 40s?

Keep up the good work whatever you end up doing on whatever cruiser you do it to. I'm a fan.

I haven't done too much to mine of late, but I'm hoping that'll change real soon.

Looks really good @DirtDauberGarage! Couple questions, are you still filming these things you're working on for your youtube channel? I did enjoy watching your guys' work on the blue Belle. Has your son lost complete interest in the FJ40s or is this like a father and son now you both have an FJ40 or is this just your second one? lol Has the FJ55 taken a back back seat now to both 40s?

Keep up the good work whatever you end up doing on whatever cruiser you do it to. I'm a fan.

I haven't done too much to mine of late, but I'm hoping that'll change real soon.
Thank for checking in. Here is a update:

1. I haven't made any videos lately. I need to get back on the wagon and film some

2. My son is 17 now, has a girlfriend, and plays three sports at school, and just finished his Eagle Scout project so he has been pretty busy, but still wrenching with me some.

3. I sold the 55 and regret it, but I am enjoying Rusty.

I will try to make a video soon! Thanks again for asking!!!

Wow that's awesome your son got his Eagle. Congratulations that is no small feat!

Sorry to hear about the 55 but new projects are always fun.

Well like I said keep up the good work and if you feel like it or have the time, it's good to see the progress and helps motivate some of us to fight the good fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom