Restoring 80 Series Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I've went through it for too long. Too many different methods that all end up looking like 20% of what excellent is. So, finally got the right solution in place. Once I've perfected things I'll post up the results.

Last edited:
I've went through it for too long. Too many different methods that all end up looking like 20% of what excellent is. So, finally got the right solution in place. Once I've perfected things I'll post up the results.

Linky no worky.

Short of a biga$$ CNC lathe to recut the face?

Before, eek. After 👍

1905D71A-CD29-4268-A24E-832390DF1BE3.jpeg

OH! Now the link works. Cheater Cheater you use a biga$$ lathe!
I thought you actually some crazy kraut space magic thing going on.

In my best Yoda
Impressive, that is.
The lay lines you've kept. Over-polishing the corners, you have not.

What sorcery is this that doesn't require a lathe?

Last edited:
In my best Yoda
Impressive, that is.

think you missed the vid, were a big ass lathe was used.

Looks great: what company did the work, where, clear coated afterwards, how much per wheel??

Seems like getting the correct radius would be the hard part unless it was done on CNC machine?? IDK

Is there a program that can be fed into a lathe so any machine shop could do this??

How many thousandths (or mm) were removed? I would be concerned by removing material from a wheel. Makes it thinner, and on a wheel that has already had a lot of cycles completed on it.

Looks great: what company did the work, where, clear coated afterwards, how much per wheel??

Seems like getting the correct radius would be the hard part unless it was done on CNC machine?? IDK

Is there a program that can be fed into a lathe so any machine shop could do this??
They're free for me, just time. On a CNC lathe so it's not too bad.

How many thousandths (or mm) were removed? I would be concerned by removing material from a wheel. Makes it thinner, and on a wheel that has already had a lot of cycles completed on it.
I took off 3 thousandths. Surprised how much it change it. Some may require more.

I think you'd take off more with a power sander, sandblasting, etc. I've never had a good solution.

Just need a big enough lathe and the right tool holder. G-code is G-code, unless its a Siemens control, those things run their own language and while it looks kind-a-like g-code, it's not.

OH! Now the link works. Cheater Cheater you use a biga$$ lathe!
I thought you actually some crazy kraut space magic thing going on.

In my best Yoda
Impressive, that is.

CNC lathe makes things easy.

Just need a big enough lathe and the right tool holder. G-code is G-code, unless its a Siemens control, those things run their own language and while it looks kind-a-like g-code, it's not.
Exactly! Scanning the wheel helped a LOT. Gave me the right measurements. Super happy with the results.

OK, so G code is programming the machine.

Last edited:
OK, so G code is programming the machine.
It's a 3d camera that the local technical college uses. Does a perfect scan in 3d so that you have the numbers to use for measurements.

GCode is what you use for a lot of cnc stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom