Replacing Rear main seal, anyone know Adrian? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had some free time today and decided to get rolling on replacing the RMS. It didnt take long to get everything disconnected, and have the tranny out. I did find a few surprises.

Oil leak pretty bad. Not coming from oil pan.

20181125_132328.jpg

If you look closely around the area of the O2 sensor you can see that the shifter bushing is totally gone. Know wonder I still have some slop in the shifter! Thanks @Michael Hanson for pointing this out in another thread....it had me looking.

20181125_132322.jpg

Once I got the tranny out I found that Adrian had left his signature. I guess he is the one to blame for a few loose bolts, a couple of missing bolts, and crappy routing of the wire harness. It appears he rebuilt the tranny in 08? It does shift well, so that makes me feel better about just putting it back as is. Maybe replace the torque converter seal.

20181125_152725.jpg

Cant see good in this picture, but I sat there for a second thinking about the easiest way to remove the seal. I decided I would just take a small pic and poke around. The seal was actually rotating in the housing!! It basically fell out!

20181125_151813.jpg

All in all pretty straight forward job. Now it's time to order a few parts and put all back together. Thanks Adrian for not replacing the RMS.

Dont be like Adrian.

If Adrian rebuilt the tranny, it is doing great and he gets an A. Install of the stuff that bolts to the tranny must have been done by some unknown Heep mechanic. That is the story I am using in case Adrian shows up.

My Heep buddy came by to help drop the tranny. He said "this thing is built like a tank" . I just laughed and said yep.

how do you know Adrian isn't a female???

I was just looking at the microfiche to find the part number for the bushing. I have the same slop issue.

Anyone with a little more savvy have the shift bushing part number for the linkage?

I was just looking at the microfiche to find the part number for the bushing. I have the same slop issue.

Anyone with a little more savvy have the shift bushing part number for the linkage?

they are listed with pics in this thread:

62 shifter

Last edited:
the # above is for the grommet, I think.

I thought the # is 90385-16008

Yes grommet. My bad. If you go to the link and click on the part # it will bring up a box with the description and full part number. For little stuff like this I use my local dealer. They give me a decent deal and are pretty nice.

We are talking about different parts. Some are in the shifter on the inside and a couple are on the linkage going to the tranny. Change all of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom