Oil leak 03 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed some oil on the driveway tonight. Crawled under for a better look. Looks like it’s coming from somewhere around this area. Any thoughts?

IMG_0406.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

Need a better pic. Looks like your oil drain plug is leaking and drops are hitting the bellhousing area and dripping. Suggest you take some brake cleaner and clean both those areas dry and see what happens over night or over several days. If oil drain plug remains remains dry, then oil leak from elsewhere. Perhaps from above near valve covers and dripping down the back of the engine or rear main seal. Take it a step at a time. What size oil drop is left on the floor each night?

The most common oil leak on these engines are the valve cover gaskets. Oil will often leak out then run down the sides of the heads and then down the rear of the block and end up on the bottom of the bell housing, like yours.

Good to know. Is that a pretty big project (as in expensive) to have fixed? I keep checking the oil and it doesn’t seem to be dropping, although I know it is somewhat just based on seeing oil in the driveway.

valve cover gaskets could be hit or miss, if all the bolts come out and don't break, it's easy
if a bolt breaks, lots of extra hours

clean area as stated above, is that at the inspection cover in the bellhousing? you can remove the inspection cover and see if it is all oily inside the bellhousing
then report back

So I finally got my "oil leak" looked at. Its not the engine (or oil) at all. Its the steering rack. I should've maybe thought that when I realized my power steering reservoir was almost void of ATF. I filled it up and there is still a leak wherever I park but I don't see a noticeable drop in the power steering reservoir. I'll keep an eye on it, its not like its gonna get better, but for now it handles just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom