Replacing Engine Air Filter - Tips, Videos ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luckily, the washable ones have instructions WITH pictures right on them!
Very informative stuff...if you can open the hood that is

It also has instructions in other languages...I thought they only sold these to moms who drive around malls in America! 'MURICA!!!

The only tip I can offer is to avoid flexing your intake hose too much if its old. Other than that unclip the tabs around the housing and unthread the wing nut and you are good to go.

If its an OEM filter you can clean it out with compressed air once in a while.

I bought two so that one can be maintained while the other is installed. I tore my original intake hose and was able to thankfully buy an OEM version to replace it.

<snip> this was my first foray in getting my hands dirty. Forgive my ignorance :)

In that case I suggest a front axle service is in order.:grinpimp: Possibly the finest way to get your hands dirty.:)

I thought you had to have a snorkel?

In the FSM on Pg. 39,045 it says:
- Use SST to install a remote intake breathing apparatus to your fender after using SST to remove a significant circular portion of your fender.
- Check functioning of SST
- CAUTION: Removal of the air filter may void warranty
- Disconnect air bag
- USE SST TO EXTRACT AIR FILTER FROM THE ACCESS PORT LOCATED AT THE TOP OF THE INTAKE BREATHING APPARATUS
- HINT: To calculate the square of the stripped wire harness section:
Square = 3.14 x (Diameter)2 divided by 4
- inspect and clean

I see that it's the circular kind etc. and note clamps on it etc. Is it hard to replace as a DIY ?

The video posted earlier shows the guy bending the intake tube when lifting the lid off the air filter. Don't do that. Loosen the clamp around the intake tube where it meets the top of the air filter. Lift the lid of the air filter enough to pull it free from the intake tube.

The intake tubes on these are notorious for splitting. No reason to expose them to excessive bending.

@ROCKFOX I imagine most of us started our foray into mechanics with a simple air filter or oil change. If it were my rig I would ..

1. Go ahead and buy a new filter, just start fresh and you will know what you have. Toss the old one if it looks nasty.
2. Be gentle bending the intake tube or you may crack it.
3. Don't forget to clean inside the tuna can looking thing on the underside of the air cleaner.

SOME Toyota air filters are washable. It will say so on the end of the filter if it is.
The OEM filter in my 91 didn't have instructions printed on it, just a part number. It got washed regularly for 25 years.

FWIW, I always loosen the clamp on the throttle body, unplug the MAF (or AFM), and remove the assembly as 1 piece. This gives me a chance to clean things up properly and inspect stuff.

Last edited:
The OEM filter in my 91 didn't have instructions printed on it, just a part number. It got washed regularly for 25 years.

FWIW, I always loosen the clamp on the throttle body, unplug the MAF, and remove the assembly as 1 piece. This gives me a chance to clean things up properly and inspect stuff.
How to do it right here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom