Replacing Engine Air Filter - Tips, Videos ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I had Toyota Atlanta order an OEM Engine Air Filter as Lexus of Atlanta said it was extremely dirty. I see that it's the circular kind etc. and note clamps on it etc. Is it hard to replace as a DIY ?

Any advice or pictures or previous threads please? Will get the part in on Thursday. Currently have a new leather Parking Brake boot cover that I need to install, shouldn't be hard.... and a much harder A/T Shift Knob as the OD button looks tricky. I read on a DIY here on the forum, but figured that was beyond me, so will have my Japanese tech do it for me. But if I can learn how to change my Engine Air filter, that would be cool :).

All help and advice so humbly appreciated!

Very difficult. A job better left to a professional IMO.
Definitely an ASE certified mechanic job. Leave that "under the hood stuff" to the pros.

I found it wasn't too bad.....once I figured out how to open the hood.:)

The only tip I can offer is to avoid flexing your intake hose too much if its old. Other than that unclip the tabs around the housing and unthread the wing nut and you are good to go.

If its an OEM filter you can clean it out with compressed air once in a while.

Clean out your 'tuna can' while you are at it. Easy to overlook.

Photo credit (TreerootCO):

Tuna Can.jpg

Last edited:
See? Here we go with the pro tech tips...

Like Flintknapper said ...... DONT FORGET TO DUMP THE TUNA CAN!!!

SOME Toyota air filters are washable. It will say so on the end of the filter if it is.

Luckily, the washable ones have instructions WITH pictures right on them!
Very informative stuff...if you can open the hood that is

Hey everyone,
I had Toyota Atlanta order an OEM Engine Air Filter as Lexus of Atlanta said it was extremely dirty. I see that it's the circular kind etc. and note clamps on it etc. Is it hard to replace as a DIY ?

Any advice or pictures or previous threads please? Will get the part in on Thursday. Currently have a new leather Parking Brake boot cover that I need to install, shouldn't be hard.... and a much harder A/T Shift Knob as the OD button looks tricky. I read on a DIY here on the forum, but figured that was beyond me, so will have my Japanese tech do it for me. But if I can learn how to change my Engine Air filter, that would be cool :).

Is Changing Your air filter outlined in your factory Owners Manual in the glove box ?

Is Changing Your air filter outlined in your factory Owners Manual in the glove box ?

reading a book? please nobody reads s*** anymore.

Hey everyone,

OP: The Tube of Yous is your friend: And I'll bet a cold beer that your owners manual has this procedure...Haynes manuals also cheap and readily available. first vid is 70 series but gives you the idea.

I think K&Ns are bogus, but this shows where it is, enjoy the soundtrack:

Who says ?

Just came in the " Priority Mail " Today ;)

DSCN6069.JPG
DSCN6070.JPG
DSCN6071.JPG

Luckily, the washable ones have instructions WITH pictures right on them!
Very informative stuff...if you can open the hood that is
Haha - just asking :). I know stupid question. My other two cars are under warranty, this was my first foray in getting my hands dirty. Forgive my ignorance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom