replacing catalytic converters, shop wont give back old cats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad you got your cats back. I hate shady businesses that lie to your face.

Just happened to me with an oil change place I use on the company car. I wanted and paid for Mobil1. They tried sneaking in Motosel but I caught them. Then they lied and said they had no Mobil1 on the premises and that I was stuck with what they gave me. Best part.....this was a Mobil1 Express Lube. Funny when I got out of the car and sat in their office refusing to move they found some actual Mobil1. Owner has since threatened legal action if I don't take down my Google review.

Repost the exact location / franchise that did this.

I bet you big $$$ USD when Mobil sees any of this, that dude gets 'paid to close'.

Canada isn't like the States, they're able to kick his butt sideways & drop him like a hot rock, no legal recourse for him either (from business practices I've been told from Whistler locals) - CA is a strange world compared to the USA for small businesses/liability.

Blast them - let the shop get popular for being crooks.

Repost the exact location / franchise that did this.

I bet you big $$$ USD when Mobil sees any of this, that dude gets 'paid to close'.

Canada isn't like the States, they're able to kick his butt sideways & drop him like a hot rock, no legal recourse for him either (from business practices I've been told from Whistler locals) - CA is a strange world compared to the USA for small businesses/liability.

Blast them - let the shop get popular for being crooks.

Mobil 1 Lube Express

1380 Dominion Ave, Port Coquitlam, BC V3B 8G7
(604) 944-9275

Mobil 1 Lube Express - Google Search

I already spoke to someone higher up the chain in the Mobil Express Lube world letting them know this place was passing off a non-Exxon/Mobil oil as the real deal. The owner's response on the review apologized for the 'mistake'. There was no mistake.

We have since talked on the phone. He offered 30% off future oil changes if I took the review down.....I said no thanks.

So to those that sold cats for 50/60 beans.
Was that 50 beans each or a pair and were they oem cats or aftermarket?

I got $90 for the pair of OEM cats on my '94, but they also paid to have them shipped to New Jersey Pennsylvania from Wisconsin. If I recall, if I would have had a '95 or later, they would have been worth a few more bucks. This was early spring of 2017. Not sure what the market is for them now, but it does fluctuate, so I would do a little investigating to be sure you are finding the best prices.

DPF & DOC Recycling for the diesel industry. We purchase parts from light and heavy duty applications.

My fave story of people stealing metal happened during the Great Recession. I have a friend that owns a vacation home on a lake in Northern WI that is mostly surrounded by other vacation properties. A crew of guys showed up at one of his neighbor's house when they were not present and proceeded to remove all of the aluminum siding, gutters and sofit from the house under the guise that they were going to be re-siding the house. They loaded all the metal up and drove away. Nobody thought twice about until it became clear they were never coming back. I imagine the owner of the house was super pumped when he went up to the cabin in the spring, only to find that much of it was gone. Pretty brazen...

Last edited:

$60/ea & they paid the ride.

I just google'd cat recycle & emailed the NV place, reply was fast & was easy $$$.

I got $90 for the pair of OEM cats on my '94, but they also paid to have them shipped to New Jersey Pennsylvania from Wisconsin. If I recall, if I would have had a '95 or later, they would have been worth a few more bucks. This was early spring of 2017. Not sure what the market is for them now, but it does fluctuate, so I would do a little investigating to be sure you are finding the best prices.

DPF & DOC Recycling for the diesel industry. We purchase parts from light and heavy duty applications.

My fave story of people stealing metal happened during the Great Recession. I have a friend that owns a vacation home on a lake in Northern WI that is mostly surrounded by other vacation properties. A crew of guys showed up at one of his neighbor's house when they were not present and proceeded to remove all of the aluminum siding, gutters and sofit from the house under the guise that they were going to be re-siding the house. They loaded all the metal up and drove away. Nobody thought twice about until it became clear they were never coming back. I imagine the owner of the house was super pumped when he went up to the cabin in the spring, only to find that much of it was gone. Pretty brazen...

Theft of materials happens a LOT in the fabrication industry.

We have a shop in Texas that frequently has stainless parts stolen. They have 8 ft chain link fences around the entire property with razor wire on top. The owner is an Army Ranger.

The alarms go off in the middle of the night and he beats the cops there and sweeps the shop before they get there.

One of the last times, they had a half sheet of 3/4" plate 304SS which equates to 514 LB. The burglar(s) managed to get in, and get back out with this plate.
The shop had taken to writing their initials and PO number on the BOTTOM of every sheet and plate in the yard for this reason, then they contacted all the local recycle yards about this so they could keep an eye out.

One of the recyclers called the cops to advise they received the plate and the perp was still onsite and they would delay him. The cops got there and arrested him with no fanfare. This guy was 6'-8" and about 400 LB and had climbed the fence, picked up the plate, slid it under the fence, then had literally picked up the plate himself and loaded it into his pickup. He is in jail now.

This guy was 6'-8" and about 400 LB and had climbed the fence, picked up the plate, slid it under the fence, then had literally picked up the plate himself and loaded it into his pickup. He is in jail now.

That's a big dude. I might be able to tip something that heavy on it's side but there is no way I could move it anywhere.

My dad tells a story about my grandpa who was also a huge dude, like 6'8", 300lbs. He owned a scrap yard for several decades after WWII and his kids(including my dad) worked for him in the summers. One day my dad did something to tick his old man off and Grandpa picked up an entire small block V8 and threw it into the back of his dump truck. I can't imagine being that strong.

Last edited:
when I had mine done I didn't want them so I asked the guy to cut them open to see how bad they were inside...

UPDATE:
after heading into the shop this afternoon the shop manager (who i've been dealing with this whole time) was polite and even tempered when he presented me with the bill,
~$375 for two cats ( comparative shopping shows these are reasonably prices, they do not mention a core charge, important later)
~$100 labor
~ $10 shop supplies

I told him the truck looked great ( which it did, the welder there has done some work for me before, he's got the knack.) and I reminded him that i was interested in taking my old cats with me.
his response, " i can't let you do that"
mine, "why can't i take them?"
him, " I already told you."
me, "Please explain"

he pivoted and told me that there would be a $50 core charge for the 2 cats ($50 all-together).
I told him that would be fine, and handed over my debit card.

------------ begin best part ----------------

he called to the welder and told him i would be taking my cats with me.
the welder shouts from the back of the shop " OH THATS TOO BAD, THATS ALOT OF MONEY WE COULD HAVE HAD!"

------------end best part-------------------

i took my parts triumphantly to my truck and drove away knowing he put a B.S $50 charge on my account. but from my point of view, its a cheap lesson on avoiding this place in the future.

should have used a credit card and disputed the charge afterwards - some banks also let you dispute debit cards

Here’s the good news. You know where you can get a nod and a wink style inspection done after you pull the cats and run some nitrous. ;)

I took my aftermarket ones to same place I always go. Got $3 bucks for one. Told aftermarket was not worth much and I would have to come back next day to recycle the other. I just left it there. Should have Googled...

I probably wouldn't have minded if they said "Are you ok with us recycling your old cats?" rather than pretending like it's a law. I mean, I doubt they're raking in a fortune and I wouldn't have cared if they snagged a few bucks for my trash that I wouldnt' want to bother selling.

YELP as a company are in the business of extortion. You should be aware of their business practices and not provide content so they can hold small businesses hostage. Google reviews is a much more honest, reputable source for reviews.

Another Lawsuit Against Yelp Over Reviews on Its Site Gets Thrown Out of Court

if you don't pay their advertising fees you get burned. Crooks

It's called YELP, cause that's the sound you make when they grab your nutz and squeeze...

Alot of people seem to forget it was only 6-8 yrs ago when meth monkeys were stealing cats from lifted rigs, Toyota mini/Tacomas were a 'easy hit'..
Had mine stolen from my 92' SR5 about 5 years ago in SoCal. I didn't realize until I started the truck and heard the exhaust note. Turned it off right away because I didn't know what the hell was going on. 5 seconds later I saw why. Bastards

I doubt they're raking in a fortune and I wouldn't have cared if they snagged a few bucks for my trash that I wouldnt' want to bother selling.

I bet it adds up though. Say they do 20 cats per month and each one is worth $50. That's an extra $12,000 per year which is likely real money for any small time shop. I know I could use an extra $1000 per month and I bet they could too.

I bet it adds up though.

I don't even know the margins, but heck yeah to side-income you don't even have to get labor intensive over.
Send out prepay slips, collect & make a run to collection site.

Try making whatever the equiv profit from used cat recycling by splitting firewood or painting houses. ---Nooooo thanks!

I don't even know the margins, but heck yeah to side-income you don't even have to get labor intensive over.
Send out prepay slips, collect & make a run to collection site.

Try making whatever the equiv profit from used cat recycling by splitting firewood or painting houses. ---Nooooo thanks!
I've done it all. You name a manual labor job, I've probably given it a whirl. Made it one day as a choker setter on a logging crew. The foreman came over and thanked me at the end of the day and even said he could tell I was a real hard worker, but since I had no baseline for what it was like to be a logger in the mountains, I was probably going to get killed pretty quickly and he didn't want to see that happen. I actually agreed with him.

Heck, I even painted the house of the previous owner of my 80 in lieu of $3000 off the asking price for the rig. I banged it out in 4 days. $750 per day ain't bad.

If someone showed up at my place of business with $1000 worth of free money every month that required almost zero effort on my part, I would take that deal in a heartbeat. I would not be quite so shady about it though. I would just ask if they wanted the cats back. If they said no, cha ching!

Maybe I missed it, but because I’m in Az, I want to know what shop did this. Pm me if you want, but I just want to avoid people like this. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom