replacing catalytic converters, shop wont give back old cats

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by pedwards, Jan 9, 2018.

1. pedwards

pedwards

long story short, my catalytic converter is totally plugged up. loss of power, and blown flange gasket.
    so I took my '96 into an exhaust shop, which i've worked with before, to replace my catalytic converters.
    i asked to have the old cat's back and the shop manager said they can't give the old cat's back to me.

' something something.... federal law, mumble mumble, i have to recycle them, not worth much. '

sorry for this not being tech, but im abit worked up, feels like im getting the run around.

in Arizona.

2. Malleus

Malleus

Media:
    Albums:
    Ask them if they want to explain it to the local police. While there may be a fee for disposal, which you are insulated from if you trade your parts for the shop's recycling effort. Many states have them and I don't know about AZ; I'm unaware of any law that mandates repair work include seizure of property.

RFB likes this.
  3. Ballsie

Ballsie

they sell the old cats to recyclers for good $$. I guess the precious metals inside are worth a pretty penny. Get your cats back!

thelal, RFB, NCFJ and 3 others like this.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am

I sold my old ones for over $100 when I replaced them. They are just trying to keep that for themselves

NCFJ likes this.
  5. Heckraiser

Heckraiser

Might vary by state, but I don't think they're allowed to keep your used ones without permission. In CO, it is illegal to sell a used cat, but you can certainly keep your old one if you desire.

6. Red Merle

Red Merle

Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
    Yep. That's nonsense. I shipped my cats out to a guy in New Jersey that gave me around $100 for them.

7. jamesurq

jamesurq Two weeks

It may be that the price they charged you was based on the ability to recoup some cash from your used parts... But to tell you it's a law? Thats pretty shady.

NCFJ and weejub like this.
  8. pedwards

pedwards

So I’m hearing a lot of the same. Which is a bummer. I really like the work this shop does, and they’ve been good to me in the past.
    Is there any reputable reason they won’t let me have the cats back? I trying to be levelheaded about this before I pick up the truck later today.

9. ATXnative

ATXnative

Ask them what law they are talking about. If they can't answer, call them out and demand it back. If they cite something specific, have your phone on you and look it up right there!

HDJdreams likes this.
  10. BILT4ME

BILT4ME

Media:
    Albums:

If you get them back, will you actually take the time to search out someone to buy them? Or will they flounder in your garage for the next 10 years?

For me, since I already accumulate too much stuff, I would probably concede and allow the shop to do them, as long as it is relatively inexpensive to have them do the work. They already have the network in place for people to buy the used cats from them.

11. inkpot

inkpot SILVER Star

Google Az catalytic converters Law’s and you get a big response. There are a bunch of restrictions on scrap sales and purchases. I did not read thru all of them but I do know that to sell scrap copper wire or cats the business has to get your I D and FINGERPRINTS.

12. icorradoi

icorradoi SILVER Star

They're just trying to sell them and make a bit of cash. Sounds pretty shady. It sure would be stupid to lose a return customer over $75-100.

13. Fj81

Fj81 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds pretty shady to me!

14. mrsleeve

mrsleeve

Sounds really shady to me, CATS have platinum in them as well as some other rare earths that are in enough of a quantity to be worth a good chunk of cash. In more recent years Yotas have been know to have LOTS of those things in them. The shop is trying to make even more off YOUR PARTS, if you tell them to get rid of them, thats one thing but to LIE to you in an attempt to keep YOUR parts to scam you out of your money................ Thats NO BUENO my friend. Tell to to pound sand, you want your property back and never return. Or at the very least ask to have your bill adjusted to correspond to them keeping your property and selling it to make up the difference to the original charges.

If there is some kind of state law about ownership and selling your old CATS, you have the work order and receipt for putting the new ones on, that ought to be proof enough that they are yours and free to sell them to whom you want.

Inkpot: During the great downturn starting about 10 years ago, people were thieving all kinds of metals and turning them in for scrap including CATS so some states passed laws about IDing people selling this stuff in an attempt to curb it or find thieves and so on. Lots of scrap dealers would do this and make you sign documents about ownership before this.

Seems its still a bit of a problem
    Chicago leads nation in catalytic converter theft

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  15. Red Merle

Red Merle

16. CJF

CJF

2014 Arizona Revised Statutes :: Title 13 - Criminal Code :: § 13-3728 Unlawful purchase or sale of used catalytic converter; classification

If I'm reading that right, you may have a hard time (legally) selling them.

DirtScaresMe likes this.
  17. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I would talk to them about the initial quote they gave you. I knew mine were worth money and worked with my guy when he quoted me for the install of mine. Most likely keeping your cats was part of the quote costs, etc. Most people probably don't ask about keeping the old cats.

18. Red Merle

Red Merle

19. jamesurq

jamesurq Two weeks

Law says it's illegal to sell, says nothing about the legality of a shop stealing it from a customer.

retrofive, Malleus and Red Merle like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.