Replacement Headlight Bulbs-What is best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My low beam headlights are dim, however my high beams are very bright. I am thinking that I need to replace the low beam bulbs at a mimimum, however I am interesting in hearing what others have purchased to replace the low and high beam OEM bulbs. I am interested in the brightest white light only (i.e. not the blue colored lights). What should I buy?

Also, it looks like a lot of mudders have extra lights mounted on their front bumpers. Assuming that you have upgraded your headlight bulbs to the brightest and newest technology, is this neccessary?

Thanks for the advice. I did a quick search for the HIR and it looks like toshiba has stopped manufacturing the HIR bulb? Wondering if this is because there is a newer better technology? Perhaps HID?

The HIR is a "technically advanced" halogen bulb. An HID is a ballast and bulb style light. Use Xenon or other inert gas. HIRs are a quick easy bulb to replace the stock one. HIDs require a ballast and a new or different style lamp housing.

Love my HIR's. Takes a couple of minutes with the dremel or file to get the base to fit properly, but other than that it's easy and a major league improvement over stock- for a fraction of the cost of HID's.

HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs I think a few have ordered here. I got mine from a local John Deere dealer.

Thanks for the info one where to order the bulbs. I am in the process of placing an order.

So all I need to do is trim one of the tabs on each of the bulbs prior to install. That sounds simple enough.

I took a look inside the hood of the 95LC and see that the wiper fluid tank is in the way to replace the two bulbs on the right side of the LC. I did not see any obvious way to get it out. Any advice?

If I recall it just slides upwards on a channel to remove it.

While installing my 1" body lift from 4Crawler over the weekend, I also got around to installing my HIRs I ordered from Candlepower. I got to try them out last night going home and all around there is an improvement. I always felt the factory low-beams were too dim and now I feel the light these bulbs throw is how the truck should have left the factory. I find that the hi-beam is whiter and throws more light off to the sides which I like as I live out in the country with all kinds of animals roaming around or crossing the road at night. BTW I ended using a small file vs my Dremel tool when shaping the tab to the dims req'd to fit into the housing.

Yup, HIR is a great improvement for the $, vs the high dollar blue bulbs that actually put out less light, or a full HID setup properly with correct lenses/etc. Write up in my sig below

So what is the difference between running HIR bulbs vs overwattage regular bulbs and a relayed harness (eg slee's)? I can get hella high wattage bulbs locally for less than $10ea but HIR bulbs are three to five times more money. And I have to wait for them to be shipped

Last edited:
Do you have a US 80 series that uses 9005 and 9006 bulbs? I haven't seen high wattage bulbs in these flavors, like you can get with H1/etc. Also, one nice thing is you are running stock watt/amp draw, but get more light, no concern about wiring problems or overheating housings.

Get the most benefit from your HIR's by installing the Slee headlight harness.

Sounds like a commercial...
:banana::wrench:

Last edited:
Get the most benefit from your HIR's by installing the Slee headlight harness.

Sounds like a commercial...
:banana::wrench::beer:

I'll second the install of the Slee Headlight Harness kit. those worn low beam wires are nothing compared to the newer, heavier gauge wiring of the Slee Harness.

While I was at Slee, I also picked up the bulbs they sell for the low beams. I am very happy.

Of course, the harness upgrade and new bulbs lead to ordering new headlight assemblies from Onur at American Toyota in Albuquerque. No reason to put those nice new backside components into chipped, wrecked, no-longer-properly adjusting assemblies...

I have yet to install the new assemblies so I can't give a positive thumbs-up on the entire package, however I expect exceptional increase in night-time lighting of the road. I am VERY happy with the bulbs and the harness. It was worth every penny. I think of headlight upgrades as "safety enhancements" instead of mods. Makes it easier to justify.

So judt to clarify is the HIR and upgrade harness the max that can be achieved on the OEM housing,, tks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom