REMOVING CAB FROM FRAME !? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any of you have some advice to remove cab from frame ? I dont have a lift for that,,, maybe with a engine hoist ? engine is already out and I need to replace cabin bushings and work a little on the frame witch is going to be much easier with the cab removed.

every tip that can help is welcome :)

Thx !

I kept on searching and foud this :

Pretty easy and fun. 2 guys can do it with a engine hoist. If you go the 2 guy or guy and his wife route...

1. Run the mother out of gas.
2. Disconnect hoses and lines in firewall.
3. Remove doors/hatch/Seats
4. disconnect rear heater
5. Removed 8? or 10 Frame bolts.
6. Remove truck with tank attached.
6a. Remove truck with tank detached... make sure your run it out of gas or you will speak "CHOICE WORDS"
7. Grab a chain and connect to the front seat belt bolts. Run another chain from the rear seat belts and connect with a d ring in the middle of the two chains (center of weight). Jack up... pull hoist out and roll chassis.

I'll be taking my cab off soon. My plan is to remove as much weight as possible, I'm going to re-spray my body and deal with some rust so I'm removing all the doors and glass, my whole interior is already removed. I'm going to use an engine hoist with the arm inside the cab, use a couple of chains running down to bolts in the seatbelt locations. Lift the frame up and roll the chassis out from under it. I'm planning to build a "body cart" on caster wheels so I can move the body around my garage. The chassis with motor will go on one side of my garage and the body on the other. I'll then bounce back and forth between body/paint work and chassis/suspension/axle work.

I mosltly want to replace de rubber bushings and repair the rear frame section behind the shackles so I will be able to use the hitch safely..

Frame paint and rust proofing will probably happen too while I have acces to every side of the frame

I would suggest boxing in the section of frame where the C channels are by welding a plate on (after you remove them and clean it up). But you'll need to figure out how to attach the rear spring hanger, body mount bracket, and spare tire cross member since the rivets were removed. I'd weld nuts to the inside of the frame. But once it's boxed in you'll never have access to those nuts again so you better make sure you keep them well soaked with rust inhibitor forever.

Last edited:
I’ve seen it done before with an engine hoist
IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

You can read more about it here: Rusty Wagon Rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rusty-wagon-rebuild.552977/

Also remove the fuel tank it's mounted to the body it will help. I've done it Jack's jack stands and 8x8 blocks of wood kick it up hold body up with the stands roll chassis out

Will have to make room in my little garage to do that , it was a bit tight while looking it up yesterday .... frame will have to stay outside while working on the cabin .that thing is twice the size of my last project :cautious:

2nd floor of the garage will be full for a while o_O

Dont underestimate the weight of the cab! And how quickly things can become unstable.

1696624943432.png

Im still thinking how I will do it ... Bought some 4x4 wood pieces to make my support on my tool chest wheels. The worse part will be to roll the frame out since my garage is not wide enough to pull the body far enough to clear the hoist.

I will figure something out

Thats nice to see how people did it ! probably gonna do minE this week end if I have time ... going to get another 2H for my truck too so maybe if I have more time left i'm gonna attack this project.

you did not remove all the doors ? I like the idea of the cinder blocks 🤌

Canadian winters are not easy on Land Cruisers, that's for sure. My FJ62 was an Ontario truck originally, and the only reason the frame survived is that someone had treated it regularly with rust prevention fluid. But that didn't stop the body from rusting away, haha. Good luck with your project!

Canadian winters are not easy on Land Cruisers, that's for sure. My FJ62 was an Ontario truck originally, and the only reason the frame survived is that someone had treated it regularly with rust prevention fluid. But that didn't stop the body from rusting away, haha. Good luck with your project!

Thanks ! might already have found a frame , 3h drive ,but 6h is less time than what I would spend on that frame to make it perfect ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom