Removing ABS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Ive heard it mentioned and I do not dig my ABS,And want to know if it is possible to remove the ABS system without Effing up the brakes, this truck needs brakes, not ABS. is it possible and will it effect my yearly inspection, etc.

Last edited:
Is this supposed to be a question?

Ive heard it mentioned and Ido not dig my ABS, this truck needs brakes, not ABS is it possible and will it effect my yearly inspection, etc.
There are a couple good threads on the procedure for ABS removal. They make it look very simple and cheap. Those who have done it report much improved pedal feel and perceived braking power.

I'm not sure it's something I would want to get into though because I don't know what the liabilities might be.

ABS pumps by definition don't get much use. Fluid that sits stagnant for years collects moisture and such at a different rate than the rest of the system. Find a gravel road, slam the brakes a few times to cycle the pump and you will likely see an improvement in pedal feel. Like my pipes, they just need to be cleaned out from time to time.

I'm building a FZJ framed FJ60 using all FZJ components. I have the ABS system mocked up in the build now. My question is if I decide to remove the ABS system entirely will I have any other electronic issues? I was planning on pulling the bulb and fuse plus ABS pump and all wiring harnesses used for ABS.

I pulled the pump removed the bulb and used the method of re-using a couple of the unneeded fittings to delete the ABS and the LSPV. My brakes have never been better and when I told my insurance agent with All State that I did this, my monthly premium actually went down by $12 per month. I will continue to remove the rest of the components as time and desire allow, but they aren't hurting anything by leaving them in there.

We don't inspect here, so I am not sure how that would go, but if you remove everything and put plates over the holes where the sensors go, I am not sure how they would even know the difference.

I'm building a FZJ framed FJ60 using all FZJ components. I have the ABS system mocked up in the build now. My question is if I decide to remove the ABS system entirely will I have any other electronic issues? I was planning on pulling the bulb and fuse plus ABS pump and all wiring harnesses used for ABS.
Jeff,
I'm pulling out my ABS as soon as I have the time. Maybe we can do both at the same time.

I just received the last piece to my ABS removal project s 91 front axle brake line coupler. I decided to go all out and go back to old school brake basics. The existing ABS front has a brake drop on each side of the front axle for ABS to work so I will be eliminating one drops and going with a 91 (non ABS) 80 series axle coupling keeping things simple. Removing the 'T' under the master and going with a straight coupling make simple work of the rear.

Phil, did you remove the porportioning value too?

Removing and pump entirely has been my best mod to date!! Went from s*** brakes to amazing lock em up brakes. Very easy to do. Jcardona has a great write up with pics.
I did not use a manual proportion valve in the rear. Just used a t. Works fine with my 37's. 50/ 50 braking like this.

This is not a post against removing your ABS, just my own recent experience... I was ready to complete that this fall, but have changed my mind.

I'll give my story which is very recent, just a month ago. I've been on the fence about removing mine for a few years now, but never pulled the trigger. I've done all new calipers, slotted rotors, soft lines and do a good flush and fill every year. I consider my system squared away.. I did make the move to remove the LPSV and had the most noticeable improvement by doing that. The ABS was still something I was considering doing until last month.

We have had some torrential rains here in Alabama the last few months and I was traveling home from work in one of them. The road traveled has a down hill, sweeping turn to the right that even in good weather I'm careful as many people coming the opposite direction cut the corner short...

This day it all came together in a bad way.. As I'm coming around the curve I'm the "first guy" that sees the traffic completely stopped (Car in a ditch).. Remember, down hill sweeping right hand curve with a line of traffic coming in the opposite lane.. I estimated the car stopped in front of me was 30-40 yards away.

I react, push her to the floor and I'm thinking I'm going to skid left into oncoming traffic which is going to be worse than a straight rear end hit to the car in front of me.. I feel the ABS come on and stay on, the truck stays in the lane and stops 2-3 yards from the car in front of me. Yes, the ABS kept the truck traveling around the curve, keeping it in the lane. I truly believe that if I had removed the ABS I might have stopped the truck before I hit the car in front of me, but I guarantee I would have skidded into oncoming traffic potentially totaling my 80, a vehicle worth 10's of thousands more than the Insurance company would give me or worse, killing someone or injuring myself.

I believe I was blessed that day in many ways.. Taking the time to overhaul the brake system properly and maintaining it each year along with not deleting the ABS system saved my 80 and might have also saved my life.

Just sharing an experience. Hope this might help someone.

Cheers,

John-

I removed the abs in hopes that braking would improve. It didnt make a difference. I didnt put it back but I would probably leave it alone if I were to do it again.

After my axle swap I dont have wheel speed sensors anyway but still...

You live in the NE USA.
Lots of snow.
ABS sucks in snow.
Check with your insurance representative and your state inspectors (if required) if it is allowable to remove.
Since yours is a 97, there were none with options WITHOUT ABS in the USA.

You MAY have a penalty to remove it.
I would pull the fuse and deal with it. When it comes time to inspect, plug in the fuse. Best of both worlds.

In my case, I forgot to install the tone rings from my old birfs to my new birfs, so I don't have anything there for it to sense. My light is on, but my brakes work fine and I can lock them at highway speeds if needed, even though that is NOT the safe way to do things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom