remote brake booster; an option? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a brake guy build a 3 hole to 4 hole tube adapter long enough to clear the firewall rib. I used a smaller booster out of a Lincoln I believe.
There is a smaller one for the clutch master. (this is an FJ25)
I'll try to attach a photo
photo79.jpg

there are factory toyota remote brake booster setups. check around, I think the last one I saw was in an FJ40(45?) from new zealand. I am sure older toyota sedans might have had this too. somewhere, there are pics posted of the setup. Optional outside the US IIRC.

they uses a single circuit master on the firewall to operate a remote brake booster, with a two circuit master cylinder attached. BMW's, mercedes and others also have had these. In fact I think even newer 5 or 7 series BMW's have remote boosters-pretty sure they are hydroboost, which is another option. LOTS of options there.

Brett,60fj25, thanks again for the valuable input....thank goodness there are options; at first I was very discouraged when after busting my butt to get the 69's body on the 79 frame and finding out there was no way I could get the brake setup to work.......i did search this forum for info on a remote booster but could not find a thread.........BUT heck, with y'alls experience and help I think we can pull it off............rescuing two pigs from the crusher :) no way in hell I could pull it off on my own....Thanks again :cheers:
Mark A. the distance between 69s brake master centerline and clutch centerline is 6 inches...........HTH :cheers:
IMG_2169 69 fj55 distance Brake to Clutch MC, 6 in.jpg

BTW.........60fj25, you have an awsome setup on your 25.....wow, I don't think I remember them that nice when they were new:cheers:

Lou

I run a non-boosted Corvette 4WDB master with the old rib. Seems to stop 33s well enough. Don't really know about FJ55s though. Made my own adapter....

Ed:beer:
GM_MCyl_Adapter 001.jpg

Damn, that is one fine looking adaptor...Ed, is it aluminum?, heliarc'd?...nice counter sinking also....

Lou

It is 2 plates, 3/8" and 1/4" welder'd together. I had a buddy cut the hole in the center and plasma out the pieces.
The spacer for the carb? Just a 1" chunk of aluminum with 4 holes drilled and the center machined out, but thanks for the compliment;)

Ed

fine looking work.maybe Santa can get me a plasma cutter one of these years:D....................:hmm:still would't be able to do the countersink artwork though!

Lou

not a lot accomplished over the weekend except to install the clutch master from the 79 onto the 69s firewall and bleed it................of course broke off a hexhead screw and had to drilll and tap:frown....BUT got clutch now + installed the TC and GB shifters.......just small things but at least there is progress.......::bounce:
Mark A. mentioned using an F carb on a 2F manifold or F manifold.....are there any downsides to this?; I just got a 74 carb back from him and thought about installing it on the 2F for booster/brake clearence TIA

Lou

minitruck booster will NOT fit a 69 firewall with a 2F carb

:wrench:well, spent the entire afternoon and nothing accomplished except definitly a toyota minitruck master/booster will NOT fit a 69 fj55 firewall with a stock 79 2F and carb........:crybaby:earlier part of the day was spent looking over junkyards till I found a lovely 86 toy minitruck with few miles whose owners grandson lost control in the rain and wrapped it around a telephone post!!!!!!; the booster and master looked perfect! spent couple of hours getting the assembly + lines out as I had to climb in the cab from the back window....got it back and the install was just a dry run to see if there was anyway I could get it to fit......impossible:bang: w/o removing carb or intake manifold which I hate to do as the 79 2F was running beautifully and hate to take it apart without knowing that the minitruck booster/master will fit.........:hmm:
questions to the group
#1.. anyone install an F carb on a 2F manifold?; positives/ negatives?
#2..anyone install an f Manifold on a 2F? pros?/downsides?
#3.. degnol's solution with a corvette dual master cyl. is becoming more attractive but would need to at least boost the front system via a remote booster to compensater for the fj 55s at least 25% more weight........+ would need to fab an adaptor plate and my welding skills are pretty putrid:frown:
TIA

Lou

single to dual circuit unboosted

took more measurements today and the distance from centerline of the original single circuit to the carb linkage is only 2 inches..........TWO inches:eek:; there is now way any booster will fit in that "normal" position.......if I want boosted will have to go remote unless I go with a firewall transplant
I just inherited another dual circuit brake booster/master for a drum brake fj40? so along with the minitruck booster/master and the 79s booster/master I have 3 working master/boosters
the firewall on the 69 has a 3 hole pattern for the single circuit MC.........have searched the thread but cannot find any mention about going from single circuit master to dual circuit unboosted 4 bolt pattern...Degnol used a corvette MC unboosted dual circuit on his fj 40 going to a GM two bolt pattern.....
question; has anyone set up an unboosted toyota dual circuit master cylinder? TIA

Brett, cannot find any info on remote toyota set ups........but am brain dead today working on getting off rusty bolts.
Andrew......after going with the MC swap to a dual circuit, plan on boosting the front system...have experience in the past setting up remote boosters on european cars BUT our LCs are different animals:D

Lou
pix are on left; .......2 inches from centerline of fj55s MC to carb linkage and on Righ; Degnol's elegant solution of changing to a dual circuit
IMG_2156... firewall 69 pig with stiffening rib & 2 in to linkage.JPG
Degnol's corvette master.jpg

BTW, that pic shows a '74 carb on a 2F manifold, and I still had to remove the choke pull-off to get the master to fit.:frown: My adapter uses just enough thickness (could use less) to clear the rearmost fitting from the firewall rib so I was not cutr or notched in any way. Dunno about the 55 firewall, but maybe you could gain another 1/4-3/8" and do the same?
Ed

Ed, do I understand that you have an F double barrel carb on your 2F manifold?, am I correct?, if so; what did it take to get it to work?...........the F and the 2F carbs are scarily different...and yes, I don't need as much clearence on the rib as you do so the adaptor does not need to be as thick.......BUT the linkage is only 2 inches from the MC centerline:eek: did you go with a cable setup?.TIA

Lou

Last edited:
The new cable linkage conversion should eliminate THAT linkage issue Lou.

FWIW, I run the Toyota dual circuit master cyl unboosted on my 65swb. I made and marketed the adapters for that conversion.

I do NOT think that is the right direction for you to go.

Best

Mark A.

ps. I will be off the boards for the next week. Moab

Yes, '74F carb on a 2F manifold, but that is a pic of my '74 F motor. The same setup now resides on my 2F. Yes, it is cobbled-cable linkage. I replaced the F carb spacer with a block of aluminum that is slightly thicker to clear the cable setup.
Better pics of my current setup...........tomorrow.;)

Ed

JimC just rebuilt a 2F carb for me and provided an Aussie cable linkage setup, so that will be going on as soon as I get to it.....being the lazyass that I am:rolleyes:

I do NOT think that is the right direction for you

Why say? Not Toyota? Esoterics? :confused:
Good to know you can run a dual circuit Toyota master unboosted and get the Whoa!;)

Ed

Have fun in Moab.....:beer:

Why say? Not Toyota? Esoterics? :confused:
Good to know you can run a dual circuit Toyota master unboosted and get the Whoa!;)

Ed

Have fun in Moab.....:beer:

A pig is a LOT heavier than a 40 or a stock 45swb.

AND I think he intends to use his rig a lot more than you or I do.

AND have you seen LCJ's thread in the 45 forum.:frown:

A pig is a LOT heavier than a 40 or a stock 45swb.Agreed...in most cases

AND I think he intends to use his rig a lot more than you or I do.Uh, wheel it more or street?

AND have you seen LCJ's thread in the 45 forum.Nope, but I'll go check it out :frown:

Ed:beer:

Can you link LCJ's thread? The only one I found did not reference a M/C????
I have about 6K on the Corvette with 33's and no problems.................yet.

Last edited:
Mark, Ed, thanks for the input.....yep, :steer:that has always been a prime concern of mine when I made the decision to go ahead and take on the two pigs going to the crusher.........brakes!, personally have been in a situation where a single circuit system failed and it was a very long <seemed like a million years> seconds before it came to a stop in the arms of a very sweet tree, staring at a few hundred feet fall beyond it:eek::eek:, thus the main part of my initial efforts have been to make the brakes reliable........dual circuit at the very very least and then boosted at least the front circuit via a remote booster system.
Mark, yes, you are right again......I do put some miles on my LCs; last 6 months :hmm:around 7000 miles:D.
after reading LCJ's thread about"Gene's" accident and bringing back memories of my own and of others that I have seen ........... my observation to those of us that still have the original single circuit master........change to a dual circuit ASAPractical; condolences are a bitch:frown:

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom