remote brake booster; an option? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some better (I hope) pics. The tip of the master is 8 3/4" from the firewall. I made my adapter to position the MC so that I would not have to notch the rib for the rear fitting. To save space, you could just drill a couple of holes for the GM master to bolt directly to the firewall. That would save 5/8".

As I said, this is a '74 F carb on a 2F manifold and it uses the old style cable linkage. I needed to raise the carb enough to clear the bellcrank on the cable linkage. My new JimC carb has a different cable setup, the one they use in Oz. I guess because of the RHD deal they are all cable linked?

Sounds like Mark is all for a dual circuit braking system, just not in favor of the GM master? That was what I was trying to find out. IIRC, it has a 1" bore, but there are also stock FJ40 masters with an even larger bore. Seems like I read something about that. Dunno

GL

Ed
MC 001.jpg
MC 003.jpg
MC 004.jpg

Ed, thanks for the pix:).........in the conversations with Mark A. he is very much against a unboosted system on a pig becuase of the 55s weight/inertia...BUT looking at your solution; :hmm: there should be not problem boosting the front circuit via a remote booster; we were doing this in the 60s........I like the elegance of the way you solved the problem and just have to figure out where the cable setup will go; should be getting it when Mark A. gets back from Moab and can get a better feel for where everything has to go........rest asssured I will not drive a single circuit on the road, it is an accident waiting to happen; in aviation there are certain circulars put out by the FAA called ADs and they are mandatory to comply with; if you fly without complying with them you do so at your own risk and as long as nothing happens you are OK BUT if as will happen sooner or later you have an accident because of this failure you will be in serious trouble with the FAA if you survive and aircraft insurance will probably not cover any damages, injuries or death because of the "flying recklessly" and "failure to comply with mandatory AD"......single circuits IMHO are an accident waiting to happen!..........I have experienced this personally:frown: Ed thanks again for all the help and advice and :steer: me on the right track :cheers:

Lou

Ed, have a question on your lines going into the Master cyl.; did you put in SAE spec. flares and remove the 10mm line nuts or use an SAE to 10mm metric adaptor?..............TIA :)

Lou

Last edited:
What you see screwed into the MC is an SAE to metric adapter, then the 10 x1.0 metric brakeline fitting. I just double flared all the lines, which to my amazement, was not at all difficult. I held the flaring tool in a vise which made it a whole lot easier to get the necessary grunt on it.
A booster would be nice and I even have the section of firewall and pedal assembly from a later '40 that has the "S" shaped rib and moves the MC outboard. However, in a panic stop, I have locked up all 4 wheels.............like Bambi running out in front of me a 60mph.:eek:

GL

Ed

My Toyota dual circuit master is now LIVE on my lwb45 as well. What did you end up doing Lou?

Mark, knew you were at Moab and heard it was awsome:).....was waiting to hear back from you........did you get a chance to send the linkage to cable adapter set up to install the 74 carb on the 2F motor?:cheers:

Lou

Lou, I finally got around to mounting the booster and master combo into the 68 piggy at the shop. As I thought, there was sufficient room for the combo with the F engine manifold and carb. Here are a couple of pics.
MVC-020F.JPG
MVC-021F.JPG

Sorry to barge in since I do most of my posts in the 80 series forum but I started to overhaul my abandoned 74 FJ40 for my son, so I will start to post some pictures in a couple of weeks but so far here is what I did to address it's braking problems:

Since it has a smb chevy, I already added power steering and sourced a GM Hydraboost combo with chevy dual master circuit to replace the OEM unboosted master cylinder with it's unsafe single circuit.

Then added a newer front axle with OEM disc brake, and was lucky to get a OEM FF rear to which I welded caliper holding brackets to use the same front pads and calipers, machined two front rotors to fit the rear hubs replacing the drums because I had the transfer parking brake.

Since the rear brakes were over killing I installed a pressure regulator and fine tuned the rear pressure until I got the right F/R balance. I guess I will try to adapt a body conected proportioning valve similar as the 80 series carry, to adjust the rear pressure as the rear raise or go down.

That was made about 20 years ago and for the latest 17 years I keeped it running it was the best braking combo and I wished my 80 had half of it's braking capability.

Last edited:
Sorry to barge in since I do most of my posts in the 80 series forum but I started to overhaul my abandoned 74 FJ40 for my son, so I will start to post some pictures in a couple of weeks but so far here is what I did to address it's braking problems:

Since it has a smb chevy, I already added power steering and sourced a GM Hydraboost combo with chevy dual master circuit to replace the OEM unboosted master cylinder with it's unsafe single circuit.

Then added a newer front axle with OEM disc brake, and was lucky to get a OEM FF rear to which I welded caliper holding brackets to use the same front pads and calipers, machined two front rotors to fit the rear hubs replacing the drums because I had the transfer parking brake.

Since the rear brakes were over killing I installed a pressure regulator and fine tuned the rear pressure until I got the right F/R balance. I guess I will try to adapt a body conected proportioning valve similar as the 80 series carry, to adjust the rear pressure as the rear raise or go down.

That was made about 20 years ago and for the latest 17 years I keeped it running it was the best braking combo and I wished my 80 had half of it's braking capability.

:confused::confused::confused: Your '74 should have had a boosted dual citcuit:confused:

Ed

Mark, looks great:clap:!; now have this situation; a 79 running 2F with manifold in a 69 pig; have an f 1/2 rebuilt carb in box from some dude in Burbank ;) also from the same source a conversion kit in box to change linkage to cable......have a new booster and master off the 79 pig......what will I need to get it set up like yours? and what pieces can I use from mine?...... TIA;

Lou

Mark; I forgot to ask:eek:..........how do you like the brakes now?

Lou

I'm in the process of converting to a dual-circuit master on my 68. I have Mark's adapter, but, before I buy a new master, I need to know which years had a dual circuit w/no booster. I'm asking because the one dual circuit I have as an example has no lip to hook the rubber dust boot onto. Would I be looking to get a 70-71 in this case? I tried to look at SOR to find my answer but found a lack of visual info. I forgot to ask Mark about this on the phone and just thought of it today...a holiday :doh: ...so I figured I'd post.

Thanks for any help!
:beer:

AFAIK, Toyota did not make an unboosted dual circuit master. At least not for the LC.

Ed

Ok, thanks, Ed. I guess I'll have to call Mark after the weekend and see how he hooked his up w/o a booster and WITH the dust cover...which I'm assuming has some degree of importance...heh.

Thanks for the link, Ed.

:beer:

You are welcome!
Do you have a 14 year old Pointer who is gun-shy and afraid of fireworks? Do you live in a town where every swingin' dick spends his "Economic stimulus" check on fireworks? Would you like to get in your own bed, but you can't because there is said Pointer in your place?

OK.....................I'm better now. Thanks;)

Where's the couch???????????????????/:rolleyes:

Ed:D

Ha...we have a 4 yr old Lab. Got home from playing a concert at the Capital and he was flipping out. Thought it might get better w/age, but I guess not.
Lucky for him I don't feel a need to "go blow a ton of s*** up" to celebrate the 4th.:bounce:

Ha...we have a 4 yr old Lab. Got home from playing a concert at the Capital and he was flipping out. Thought it might get better w/age, but I guess not.
Lucky for him I don't feel a need to "go blow a ton of s*** up" to celebrate the 4th.:bounce:

Are you Military?
What do you play?..............and don't say "Skin Flute"...that is assumed;)
How were the fireworks?

Ed

Are you Military?
What do you play?..............and don't say "Skin Flute"...that is assumed;)
How were the fireworks?

EDIT: Trombone? Assume it is not "a rusty Trombone?":D

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom