recommended engine oil HDJ81 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You didn't specify the engine in your truck, but from the Ellery manual for the 1HDT / 1HZ engine: API grade CD, CE, CF or better. Your choice of viscosity depends on the conditions you drive in. There is no clear consensus on synthetic. However, I think at least half of those on this site probably lean towards or use synthetic. In my case, the truck is on 5-40 Synthetic year round. If you search the forum you'll get a myriad of information on this topic.

I like synthetic.
Take a read of some of the benifits.
You pay more,but I think you get more too.

As for brands, I like Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella.

Cheers,
Nick

I don't see the value of synthetic on an older engine. Why bother when the engine had the first 20 yrs with dino? Is it going to really tweak that much extra life out of the engine. Also with the additional cost is it worth it. Can't remember where I saw the number(could be folk lore) but if you took the life of the engine, say for a diesel 500k. And the cost of doing syn oil changes vs dino, the difference pays for your rebuild at that time.

I buy semi synthetic. Its much cheaper.

But hey its all just opinion. Buy what makes you feel happy.

Oh I've also heard many engines once you start running synthetic leak oil like crazy....... is it true??

Martin White said:
You didn't specify the engine in your truck,

It says HDJ8x 1HD-t
not HZJ8x 1ZH

My engine has no leaks.
Its kinda like r134 and r12.
Synthetic oil is a much smaller molecule.

I will try an post more later.
I have to run away now.

Cheers,
Nick

I would not hesitate and in fact have switched my 13BT's to Syth, and run it out to 10,000kms before changing. This helps offset the added cost.

I would not switch a 3B, 2H, or any of the older IDI diesels, unless I had a secondary filter so I could extend the drain past 5000kms, and was not using cork gaskets. The soot loading from the IDI engines will be too much for extended drain with no secondary filter imo, and if your cork gaskets are not 100% you will leak. Regular dino works for me in those situations.

I did notice a difference in engine sound, and smoothness when I switched in my 13BT.

I would have no hesitation switching to syth in any of the 1HD-T, 12HT, 13BT or other DI Toyota diesels. They all use FIPG on the side cover and oil pan. If your front or rear main starts leaking, it needed replacement anyway. I would then run them out to 10,000kms with oil samples taken at 5000kms, 7500kms and then 10,000kms to ensure no issues. I did this with mine, and switch out the oil every 10,000kms now. When time presents I want to install a secondary filter, and will extend the drains even longer, but for now this works for me.

hth's

gb

+EDIT+ I should also add I spin on a new Fleetguard at 5000kms.

Last edited:
I did my last change of oil at 8500 KMs.
Sent it to Finning. No comment on oil being broken down.
It still lubed good.

Currently at about 6500kms.
I was going to change it soon and see what they say this time.

Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
I did my last change of oil at 8500 KMs.
Sent it to Finning. No comment on oil being broken down.
It still lubed good.

Currently at about 6500kms.
I was going to change it soon and see what they say this time.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick, can you post your UOA from Finning; similar to my post - https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=100448

I'm really curious about your Sodium level.

Thanks, -Steve

Hello Steve,

Here are my levels.
Oill Change at 8500Km's and 135,500 on the truck:

Iron 14
Chromium 1
Nickle 0
Silicon 119
Aluminum 2
Lead 9
Tin 1
Copper 3
Sodium 0
Potassium 1
Boron 12
Silver 0
Molybdenum 2
Magnesium 9
Zinc 1447
Calcium 3699
Barium 0
Phosphorus 1284

Everything apears normal.
Our numbers are somewhat different in the silcome and Magnesium.
I mentioned that my BEB where changed when I sent it in.
The said everything seemed normal.
Which is also why I have an elevated Silcone level.
Not sure about the other difference though.

Cheers,
Nick

brownbear said:
Oh I've also heard many engines once you start running synthetic leak oil like crazy....... is it true??

I'm also curious about that ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom