Builds Recently acquired locked 94 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@ppc and @bryson, I'm with both of you as to what is happening and the end result of how the system works. I'm am still not understanding the mechanics inside the t-case of the differences between the spool and simply locking the CDL. That being said, it's basically off topic here though. Even though bearings looked good, I'm leaning towards there being a bad one or something.

Of note, this issue seems to be related to speed and temp. Driving around town this morning with cold rig and hubs unlocked, zero extra noise. It only shows up at freeway speeds once warmed up.

Getting ready to install a QPM and am digging around in the right rear compartment before closing up. Finding unexpected parts.

Anybody know what these are for by any chance? I pulled the back of the headliner down to double check, the rear washer fluid is directed to the left side of the vehicle, so I’m guessing it’s not that. About to hook up washer fluid for the first time today, but that’s a little further down the list, otherwise I’d be able to just squirt and see.

Also, I’m guessing the electrical plug is trailer lights? This one doesn’t have the little tow relay deal my 92 had, but I can’t remeber any details on that setup.

3B0FE894-660C-4679-A179-5C5DD5E07437.jpeg

Made some good progress yesterday, installed QPM from @NLXTACY, gullwing window from @LandCruiserPhil, fixed exhaust (was missing some bolts and two isolators), put some sound deadening up behind QPM before install, got washer fluid reservoir relocated and working since I haven’t had one since dual battery install, pulled harness out of left side D pillar so I can add a rear hatch light, swapped headlights for newer ones (with all their tabs) with 9011/9012 bulbs from my 92, added a CB antenna to my front bumper (needs a new mount from radio store today to add VHF antenna), changed oil in engine, changed oil in front diff, changed oil (first time since gear swap) in t-case after drive to/from Moab, it looked fine. Busy day!

Before leaving tomorrow night for Overland Expo still need to:

-install a stereo
-I would like to figure out how to get rid of check engine light (code 71, something about AC pressure low, makes sense since the system is open after engine swap still turns out it is the EGR temp sensor or something like that, so I need to get that figured out)
-And maybe swap driver door donor rig has a previously un-noticed golfball size dent so not worth it.
-install Gamiviti rack that just showed up so can have solar at the show and have cold sodas for people

Same thing as when I put the gullwing in my 92, finding unpleasant rust on the window sill. This was worse than the 92 and I went ahead and did some light grinding and painting to hopefully halt it from getting worse.

This caused me to look closer at the other side window, noticing it has even more rust :( I will have to deal with that another day.

E4BC1616-DE19-48C3-81CD-A20CDDE9D561.jpeg
2907CCCE-01D2-4F08-AB06-6EBF56434217.jpeg

Last edited:
Quick update on Moab since I have more pics

Went on Metal Masher led by @torfab and Poison Spider led by @Box Rocket, had a great time on both. A professional photographer was on the Metal Masher trip and got some great photos, going to have to pony up and buy a couple (the last one here is one of theirs).

Lunch spot on Metal Masher

5B26FCBD-AB3F-42C0-BE44-EFD3DD4C8A15.jpeg

One of the tricky spots on Poison Spider, this guy had a bead blow out at the worst possible spot. No harm no foul though, we were back on the trail pretty quick. Made for good pics too!

C16BED84-D3A7-4BE0-BB2B-5E39F289E531.jpeg

The only issue I had all weekend was a failed fusible link. I have one in my 92 glovebox for this reason, but forgot to add to this rig before leaving for this trip. Luckily @Box Rocket had one in his! First thing I did when I got back was put one in my glove box.

425746C2-7EC0-4C12-AA56-8048DEB9E905.jpeg

A little detour after Metal Masher to find a cool arch.

2D06337C-D534-4E74-8A9A-4B1479EA32F1.jpeg

Kevin Tanner Photo got some great shots.

0E31F929-4361-43AF-8DFF-DC121E66D961.jpeg

Last edited:
And a quick driving video from the attempt to get off the beaten track on the way home from Overland Expo. @LandCruiserPhil sent us on what would’ve been the trip of a lifetime had the weather not been so incredibly wet. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
Just did the pin 7 and pin 15 mods real quick. Pretty excited to go test.

TOTALLY forgot about the other thing that made this trip easy and fun. Installed a full 2.5" ICON/DVS kit before heading out. This stuff is about as awesome as sharks with lazors strapped to them! Such a mind blowing difference between this rig and my 92 with the OME setup. Super impressed and won't be running anything else in the future (as long as I can afford it anyways).

View attachment 1973299

I am thinking about buying the stage 3 icon for my 94 land cruiser. So you would honestly recommend this kit for the price ? Thanks for your time

I am thinking about buying the stage 3 icon for my 94 land cruiser. So you would honestly recommend this kit for the price ? Thanks for your time

In short, yes. What kind of specifics are you interested in? Send me a pm since it’s bend discussed a lot in various places.

Got out and used the rig a little over the holiday weekend. did some camping found the snowline.

This was definitely not in Idaho. More like Colorado or something.

IMG_3097.jpg

end of the road is as good as any to fire up some bacon

IMG_3101.jpg

Found some sharp rocks 0_0, and then realized I left my box of tools at home because "I'll only be hitting a couple dirt roads, honey, it'll be fine"...this included my lug wrench :flush:

IMG_3102.jpg

Yikes! Hope all is well now!

ya, I ended up having a spark plug socket in my small bag of tools (for what reason, I have no idea) and it fit a little snug, but with a rock as a hammer, it worked.

got me a new sticker

IMG_3166.jpg

Awesome! Looks custom, did you cut it or buy it?

Thanks! Had them made, tri-color style too (black with white and red layers behind it).

Decided to try replacing the accelerator cable to see if that was causing the sticky throttle pedal. To the point people would hop in to drive it and give me one of those disgusted looks like somebody just farted real bad and ask "what's wrong with this thing??"

Was a straightforward install, but I HIGHLY recommend removing the gas pedal at the beginning instead of trying to fight it for 10 minutes and then removing it.

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

As you can see, there was plenty of wear and tear on the original cable (330k miles). End result is a MUCH smoother pedal feel. It's almost like I gained 20hp because the pedal moves that much better.

I did however create more work for myself:

IMG_3161.jpg

Not sure why the holes aren't slotted/ovaled on this thing, but I will be adjusting mine so they are and the seal can sit centered on the shaft so I don't have change again.

picked this up at a junkyard. JUST because it's blue does NOT mean it's been modified, correct? I still need to adjust/tune it according sticky'd thread to "upgrade" it? thanks!

IMG_3302.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom