Rebuild stock carb cost? Issues with passing CA smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Racing the engine from the throttle linkage is fine: Yes, it opens/closes the throttle valve.

If ABV test is failing, there's probably schmutz somewhere in the ACV keeping the ABV or ASV plungers open or closed or clogging.

Once you get the assembly apart, it will be apparent.

Also, it's possible but not common, that the diaphragm of the ABV or ASV has failed. Once the assembly is apart, just apply vacuum to the diaphragms to see if they hold the plungers up.

I passed!

20220212_072921.jpg

Once again, thanks to all who chimed in and pointed me towards the AI system. I focused all my attention there and took apart the ABV/ACV/ASV. JIS screwdrivers were key (only managed to strip one head). Internals didn't have any exploded vane parts but a good coating of soot. All diaphragms ABV and ASV worked under vacuum. Just gave it a good cleaning. Check valves at manifold and to the exhaust checked out ok. Same soot. Replaced the hose from the ACV to the manifold check valve as well as the hose from the pump to the ACV. O2 readings went up significantly. The only test I failed in the emissions manual was the resistance on the cat thermosensor. I figured that wasn't going to fail my smog but I know the system won't divert air back to the cleaner if the cat gets too hot. NO still high but I'll worry about that in 2yrs I guess.

Other things I did since my last failed smog test:
- changed spark plugs.
- changed vac hoses
- made sure i was 7* BTDC with the vac advanced plugged. I was at 9*

Once again, THANK YOU @2mbb, @Spike Strip , @OSS , @The Machinist @vipergrhd and @Dynosoar
Look at your air injection system. You have ZERO residual O2. Fix your air injection system and your problem will be solved.
Dyno

Next up - take off the rear 31"s and slap the 33"s back on!
20220211_172826.jpg

:cheers:

I passed!

View attachment 2922338

Once again, thanks to all who chimed in and pointed me towards the AI system. I focused all my attention there and took apart the ABV/ACV/ASV. JIS screwdrivers were key (only managed to strip one head). Internals didn't have any exploded vane parts but a good coating of soot. All diaphragms ABV and ASV worked under vacuum. Just gave it a good cleaning. Check valves at manifold and to the exhaust checked out ok. Same soot. Replaced the hose from the ACV to the manifold check valve as well as the hose from the pump to the ACV. O2 readings went up significantly. The only test I failed in the emissions manual was the resistance on the cat thermosensor. I figured that wasn't going to fail my smog but I know the system won't divert air back to the cleaner if the cat gets too hot. NO still high but I'll worry about that in 2yrs I guess.

Other things I did since my last failed smog test:
- changed spark plugs.
- changed vac hoses
- made sure i was 7* BTDC with the vac advanced plugged. I was at 9*

Once again, THANK YOU @2mbb, @Spike Strip , @OSS , @The Machinist @vipergrhd and @Dynosoar

Next up - take off the rear 31"s and slap the 33"s back on!
View attachment 2922364
The JIS screwdrivers are essential for those smog devices. I can 100% guarantee a philips will strip those out - ask me how I know….

Anyway, glad you got it over the finish line. Mine is due in about 45 days 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom