Rebuild 74 FJ40 RHD from Down Under - 2F to 2H to 12HT - 40 series Axles with 80 series Coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rebuild RHD FJ40 2F 1974 into HJ40 1984 2H Diesel from Down Under

Hi, I am new to the forum and have just pickup my FJ40 and wheeled it into the garage to start a rebuild.

I have been shoping for all the components over the last few weeks and finally have them, they are as follows:-

A 1984 FJ40 front suspension assembly with diff which has front disc brakes with ventillated rotors.

1983 rear fully floating hub- suspension with diff so I can install the HiLux disc brakes with solid rotors onto.

All disc callipers are to be specially painted ( red or yellow)

Power steering box & steering colum from a FJ45 troopy

2H 6 cyl Toyota Diesel (75 series)

4 speed gearbox with seperate transfer case with handbrake

Cross member from a FJ45 troopy as gearbox has mounts, as old gearbox had brackets on side of bellhousing instead

Bonnet, inner guards, guards, grill, windscreen surround in fibreglass

Full floor- back tub with firewall in a one piece fibreglass sports shell, which I had made 6" longer so to fit 2 bucket seats in the rear

Total of 2 bucket recaro seats & matching rear seat.

6 point roll cage

I am also debating whether to have the leaf springs gal dipped also. (Decided not too)

I will fully strip down the Fj40 and have the chassis hot dipped in gal. I am trying to keep the FJ 40 simple for future maintenance as it will be kept at the beach house and will only see a dirt road every now or then.

I have not yet decided what type of wheels & tyres I will put on as I believe I maybe limited in size due to using the original power steering setup which may limit me to around 36"

I also have not yet decided on what colour to paint the FJ40 yet, but the recaro seats are yellow & black ( I have the option to change them to orange & black within the next 30 days)

Ok so the fun begins.

It would be good to hear any & all input in the above and or any ideas as this is probably the best time.

By the way this is a great forum.

Regards from downunder.

Last edited:
Welcome watrob, post some pictures so we can follow you along.

Hi, will do, starting rebuild tomorrow so I will take a photo of the FJ as it is, I only picked it up yesterday but have been buying the new components for the last few weeks.

Last edited:
Well its been just over 2 months and I have striped down my FJ40 1974 to the chassis, sandblasted, hot dipped in gal, etched primed and painted black.

I got hold of a FJ40 1984 front axle and completely rebuilt the front hubs, diff, new rotors, seals, bearings etc, the CV's have been upgraded to a harder steel with 60 thou oversizes ball bearings. The caliphers I have also completely rebuilt as well as the Asin's.

I also got a FJ40 FF rear from a 1984 and rebults it also. Took off the drum brakes and intalled disc brakes, again a full rebuild. The caliphers are from a HiLux 1984, they are the same as on the front (which are standard) except these only accept a solid rotor.

The springs are OME Dakar all round with Rancho 5000 shocks.

FrontDisc.jpg

FrontHub.jpg

RearDisc.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...so clean...nice.

I then got hold of a 2H diesel from a HJ75 1987 model as they came with a PS pump & triple harmonic balancer. The 1984 troopies came out with this motor also but no PS pump ( and only with double harmonic balancer).

Now the engine mounts on the chassis in a Troopie are in the same place, that is right up the front of the chassis the same as a FJ40 1974 model, all I needed to do was track down some engine brackets that bolted onto the engine block from a troopie. If you use the engine brakets from the HJ60 or HJ75 it drops the engine down to low. I also used the 2H bellhousing and a 4 speed to match.

The last thing I also need was the cross member to bolt onto the chassis to mount the 4 speed and again I got this from a troopie

2HDiesel.jpg

Diesel.jpg

CrossMember.jpg

Last edited:
Last photo. The propeller shaft's have been rebuilt with longer yokes from a 60 series as the OME Dakar springs give me a lift of about 2". The front leaf springs are rated as medium's as the 2H Diesel with a 4 speed is a fairly heavy motor and the rear springs are rated as light's.

if so, that's awesome.

I have a 4 car lockable garage at my apartment block. There is a by-law that says you can do mechanical repairs as long as it is contained in your garage and you do not make excesive noise after 5:00pm. I choose how to do the rebuild very carefully as so not to envolve grinding, cutting or welding.

Stripping the FJ40 down was quiet easy and then I sold all the old parts or did exhanges at the wrecking yards. I got the replacement axles etc sandblasted & I painted them before I brought them back. Pulling them down and rebuilding is not a noisey job. I put cardboard down on the garage floor and any items that needed heavy work I took to my mates garage and did it their like universal joints.

You can see alot of the parts are new like rotors, seals, bearings, gaskets etc. I put new harder CV in with 60 thou oversized ballbearings.

It makes a rebuild quite a clean job if you sandblast the axles first and get rid of 20 years of grease & rust. Everyone thinks they are brand new and not 20 years old when they see them. You just have to take your time and do a little bit each night or on weekends.

It has taken me just over two months to get this far. Now the chassis is rolling I will take it to my beach house a finish it off there where there will be no restrictions placed on me.

Hi, my next door neighour has a black BMW M6 Cabrio, the oldest car here is my FJ40, sorry, there is a chap here that has T-Model Ford Wagon and like my fj40 and his T-Model we are all old farts who drive very new cars, makes us feel young. When you get to our age you got to have some perks.

I did this build for my wife last year
P1010017.jpg

Well I did a couple more hours on the FJ40 or should I say HJ40. Got the exhaust manifold and cover on as well as the alternator with vac pump. Also managed to get the guard brackets on as well.

ExhaustMan.jpg

Man&Alt.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom