Rebuild 74 FJ40 RHD from Down Under - 2F to 2H to 12HT - 40 series Axles with 80 series Coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally finished the day off with the PS box fitted, just leaves me to do the radiator and brackets which I am just altering a little as the fan on the 2H is a little larger and protrudes futher forward than what the fan did on the 2F.

Also the outlets on the radiator had to be moved to the other side as the 2H differs to the 2F.

PowerS.jpg

Powersteer.jpg

PSteer.jpg

Last edited:
wow thats really nice.. really clean makes my chassis (also recently body off painted) look like its been buried in mud for years

Well I got a little more done over the weekend and I am just about ready to put the fibreglass tub on which has just been finished. Had the tub extended by 6" in the rear so to give me a little more room in the back.

The 2H is a tight fit especially with PS pump attached.

ps12.jpg

psRadiator13.jpg

Radiator.jpg

Last edited:
I also picked up my front bucket sports seats and my F1 sports steering also arrived on friday.

The rear jump seat I am getting re-upholstered to match the front seats and it should be ready by the end of this week.

My 16" x 8" alloy wheels have also arrived and I am getting Mickey Thompsom MTZ's 33" put on them, hopefully pick them up on wednesday.

seats.jpg

Steerwh.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my tyres put on the 16" x 8" alloy's today, damn there heavy.

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's, they stand at about 33 1/2" x12.50 wide.

Anyway to late now, could have bought cheaper, could of bought better a better tyre, could have done a lot of things but it's done. After a while you just get tired of looking and listening to what you should buy, it's done, now on to the next item.

tyres1.jpg

tyres2.jpg

Last edited:
I was not happy with the amount of room I had between the bottom radiator outlet and the PS pump so put more angle on the outlet.

This now gives me good inch or so, so now if the motor moves round on the engine mount the pully won't hit the radiator hose.

Radiator7.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work there Man!:cool:..... I'd make changes on your return hose on the trans. the height of that loop I circled in red is gonna over-fill the trans and starve the t-case a bit......the exit point of the hose on the trans. needs to be level with the fill plug........
untitledt copy.jpg

Very nice build going on here and I'm lapping up all the photos:)

Hi Turbo42,

I am in the CBD area, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane.

It was a mess when I bought it, I only kept the chassis, two front guards & grill because they were fibreglass.

Everything else was rusted away, dumped everything, fuel tank, radiator, seats, leaf springs, front and rear axles I traded as the were 1974 drum brake ones and I got 1984 disc brake front end and FF rear, I traded the 2F with gearbox in on the 2H and a gearbox to match.

Rebuilt everything from the ground up.

I take the FJ40 upto the beach house this weekend and I am picking up the 6" extended fibreglass tube on the way. Hope to finish the rebuild over the Christmas break.

Just finished the refurb of the gauge cluster, glove box and switch cluster. Will post those pictures hopefully tomorrow.

Over the weekend hope to have the diesel wiring loom refurb finished and ready to install once the tub is fitted.

With a little luck I think completion of the rebuild will be around end of Jan 08.

Hi,
good job. Not to be too picky, but you omitted the webbing support for the p/s tab?

Well I wish I had that one! I like that it is supporting the downpipe and moving with the engine. I have a plate from the '61 that just goes across the bellhousing. I will work on making something. Can you post a picture of it looking straight back from the radiator so I can get a better perspective of the angles?

Panoramic,

This is the exhaust bracket that I was talking about which supports the exhaust passing between the chassis and the front guard then under the LHS step.

Hi,Will do, will take another photo tonight. I hit the welded PS bracket with a large hammer, that is not going to break off anytime soon.I am loading the FJ onto a trailer on Saturday morning to get the tub so I can keep working on it over the Christmas break.

Hi,Will do, will take another photo tonight. I hit the welded PS bracket with a large hammer, that is not going to break off anytime soon.I am loading the FJ onto a trailer on Saturday morning to get the tub so I can keep working on it over the Christmas break.

Did you use the welding method I prescribed or a different method?
Long-term cracking was also a concern for me. The fact that the pump bolts into the pump assembly was the big reason I wanted to relieve as much mechanical stress as I could.

- Eric

hey mate sweet build up looks like its coming along pretty well, just wondering what brand of glass tub your going with and how they're priced, i know theres a place up the sunny coast called oz-east fibreglass but they want at least 3500 for a tub :eek:
also where'd you source the brackets for the rear discs????
cheers
dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom