Reassembly of Painted 2-Piece Door Bows without Damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

davework

Cruiser Hardware: OverlandMetric.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.overlandmetric.com
Just getting my '79 40 back from paint and wondering how to reassemble the two piece door bows that you have to slide/pry apart to remove from the top when disassembling?

Wondering if there are any tricks to it, if not I am not sure how I don't ruin the new paint on both pieces? Maybe I need to have these assembled to the rain gutter and then painted while attached?

Can you describe more fully or show a pix? I'm not understanding the problem here.

Last edited:
Can you describe more fully or show a pix? I"m not understanding the problem here.
The header that goes over the front doors is 2 pieces and slides apart. With new paint, the sliding part is going to be an issue. I have been looking at ours trying to develop a plan because it’s going to be a one time attempt kind of thing.

Can you describe more fully or show a pix? I'm not understanding the problem here.
Thanks for taking a look, the below pics show these bows both assembled and disassembled. They slide together with a very tight fit. You have to slide the outer off the inner to access the screws holding the bows to the top.

The header that goes over the front doors is 2 pieces and slides apart. With new paint, the sliding part is going to be an issue. I have been looking at ours trying to develop a plan because it’s going to be a one time attempt kind of thing.
I was wondering if I should just have the shop drill some holes into the outer piece so the screws are accessible assembled. Then I could just plug with some decent looking black plugs. But figured this has been dealt with many times over before, hoping there is a different better way.

disassembled door bows.jpeg

assembled door bows.jpeg

Thanks for taking a look, the below pics show these bows both assembled and disassembled. They slide together with a very tight fit. You have to slide the outer off the inner to access the screws holding the bows to the top.

I was wondering if I should just have the shop drill some holes into the outer piece so the screws are accessible assembled. Then I could just plug with some decent looking black plugs. But figured this has been dealt with many times over before, hoping there is a different better way.

View attachment 2580515

View attachment 2580516
If you aren't going to remove them and the fiberglass cap isn't installed yet, it shouldn't be too hard to install in 2 pieces and forget about it. Our shop is making the front windshield visor removable(threaded rivets) so we can tip the windshield if needed.

What I did was to use a lot of paste floor wax and wax the crap out of both mating pieces. then put aa couple pieces of blue painters tape on one end and use a piece of hard maple or oak cut to fit the slot and start tapping with aa dead blow hammer. Slid right together, no paint removed.

The photos are from the removal, but did just the opposite to reinstall, tapping from the other end.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

What I did was to use a lot of paste floor wax and wax the crap out of both mating pieces. then put aa couple pieces of blue painters tape on one end and use a piece of hard maple or oak cut to fit the slot and start tapping with aa dead blow hammer. Slid right together, no paint removed.

That does help, thanks. Might be psyching myself out more than necessary.

@davework

I just did mine, and they go together a lot easier than they come apart. Hopefully the painter didn't use five coats of paint and fill the slot.

Make CERTAIN the snap-in piece is perfectly aligned (holes to "captured" nuts) before you assemble. They don't slide well once snapped into place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom