Rear end leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElPolloBlanco

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
I when I rebuilt my rear end I ordered Kurt's install kit from cruiser outfitters. I used all the parts accept the nut which was too small. I'm having a problem now with the oil seal leaking. Also the FSM says there should be an oil slinger in there and there wasn't one when I took it apart and the kit didn't come with one. Should I be worried about the leak and replace the seal or just top the oil off every couple weeks or so? Should I pull the whole thing out and install the oil slinger? I notices the leak about three weeks ago and I'm not sure how long it was leaking before then. I just topped it off and it took about 4 ounces if my pump truly does pump 1 ounce per pump.

Fat-fingered on my iPhone using IH8MUD
image-862242250.jpg
image-4142324301.jpg
image-1948729860.jpg

Did you look at the seal surface on the pinion flange? Slinger or not it shouldn't leak if the seal surfaces are ok and it was pre-lubed. The flange should sit on the pinion splines tightly, i.e. too tight to assemble by hand. If it's too loose, oil can work it's way out the splines.

Last edited:
Pinion seal

I know it's the Pinion Seal. I just wanna know if I should change it now or wait till I regear it. Probably next year if things go according to plan. I when I added more oil today it took about 4 pumps which according to my pump is 4 ounces. I think an ounce a week is an acceptable amout. I just don't want to crap another bearing out. Also Should I be worried about not having a slinger in there? Isn't that important to get oil up into the front bearing?

I'd do a solid spacer install along with the proper oil slinger in there. If the oil is leaning from a new pinion seal I'd closely inspect the companion flange surface that the seal rides on. And consider installing a genuine Toyota seal.

If the whole flange is wobbling around then you likely have improper preload, or the new pinion bearing races have seated a bit more since installation. Disassemble and repair.

If the preload is okay, you can do a solid spacer install "on the car". Take out the collapseable spacer and exactly match up the length of the new solid spacer and shims. Then assemble and check the rotating preload as best you can by hand.

If the oil is leaking thru the pinion nut area then you can put a bead of fipg sealant under the nut and washer to stop that.

Remember that it's almost always cheaper to fix it now than later when it blows up at an inconvenient time. Emergency repairs always suck. Preventive repairs are merely not fun.

Is it possible that your diff is not the original?

I ask as Toyota changed the diffs in 2000. The new diffs have a larger diameter pinion which means a larger nut and larger drive flange. Using the standard pinion seal on one of these newer diffs wiould be a problem.

I have a whole thread on my rear end switch. It was quite the fiasco. Basically the story goes like this, pinion bearing starts screaming at me. I order parts from toyota (front bearing, crush sleeve, seal, ect.). I also bought a locker here on Mud. The guy sent the locker installed in his old carrier with his stock ring and pinion. Awesome I thought I should be about to just slap all this in the truck and go. The bearing was loose on the pinion (problem number 1). I get the rear end tore out and it's been replaced before and all the bearings are different that what's on the carrier that was sent to me (problem number 2). After a lot of cussing and staring and drinking I ordered an install kit from Kurt and used all of his parts with the exception of the pinion nut, It was too big or small I can't remember which, I used the nut from toyota and took the other parts back. I should email kurt and ask which pinion his kit fits. If the nut was too small then i think my pinion is stretching out the seal. If it was too big maybe the seal isn't tight enough. At any rate the truck will be paid off next month so that gives me a chance to save up, do some much needed PM and upgrades, To include Lift, tires, 5.29's and more. I don't mind keeping an eye on it for a while untill I can regear it. Can't wait to call Kurt for that order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom