Rear Bumper Options (New Member) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello MUD,

Just picked up a 1996 FZJ80 from a friend today. It's a one owner, triple locked, with 150k miles on it. Overall, it's in pretty decent shape, but I am planning on building it out to be my new overlander (coming from a LR Discovery 2). I've owned 3 Discoveries, and my current daily is a 5th gen 4Runner, so I thought it's finally time to get an 80 and move on from Land Rover.
Looks like it's gonna need knuckle rebuilds and probably a radiator. Otherwise it's mechanically sound. Body is also really straight.
Drives like the front locker is on which is weird but I will investigate that later.

Anyway, the truck is pretty clean overall. But the previous owner had backed it into another car in a parking lot a few years ago. the tow hitch, rear bumper, and rear cross member a little bent up because of this.

Being that this is going to be an overland build, I fully intend on adding a rear bar with a tire carrier so I knew that I was going to do something with them on purchase. I will attach some photos as well.

So do I need to replace that rear cross member? Are there bumpers out there that are installed in place of the cross member? Should I take it to a frame shop to have them straighten it out?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1294.jpeg

IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

Search for the overall questions. Show a better pic of the frame rail. Kinda looks like it’s bent.

Also, search how to operate the lockers. Then search how to overhaul the actuators. It will never end.

4x4 labs is one option for rear bumper that involves cutting off that rear crossmember section of frame and replacing it with the bumper.
I wouldn’t straighten that one but checking to make sure rails are square and tru before purchasing the bumper may not be a bad idea. If you wanted a different slip on style bumper I’d find a 4x4 labs buyer and grab his cut off crossmember. I gave mine to a friend who successfully stitched it back on to run a IPOR bumper.

I would say it depends on your intent. If your looking for more clearance then you might want to go with a bumper that removes that rear member. When I did mine I kept it on as it provides more strength and space from someone rear ending me.

I can’t really tell in the pics if it’s bent but if you go with a bumper that doesn’t have a receiver hitch let me know. I’ve got one for sale.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll take the plastic endcaps off tonight along with the factory hitch receiver to get a better idea of the damage. I'm pretty sure it's just the cross member, but I'm going to take frame rail measurements as well. So far, I'm liking the 4x4labs option a lot. It looks super low profile and still provides a tire carrier, hitch, and good protection.

@dsmud4u , I'm going to need a hitch receiver in the bumper as I do tow a (~800lbs) motorcycle trailer.

I also saw that Toyota still sells the rear crossmember for about $600. It welds on from my understanding. I don't weld, but I have a friend that does and I'm sure he can help me out with this if I do go this route.

I will try to post better pics tonight as I'm sure there's got to be someone else out there with a bent up rear bumper on an 80. Hopefully this thread can help someone else out. I had no idea that the rear bumper was actually the rear crossmember of the frame until I got a really good look at it. Reminds me of those old Defenders...

If everything is square, then I think I'll go with the 4x4labs bumper. I was considering the ARB, but it looks rather bulky and also kinda heavy. Not sure on the weight figures of either bumper but I would prefer it to be lighter.

Thank you again everyone your help is much appreciated.

X2 on the 4x4 labs bumper. I haven’t seen one that is higher and tighter. They also offer tons of options for spare tire mounting and other gear if you want that. If you’ll ever have 35+ tires you’ll need somewhere to put a spare.

Took some crude frame measurements last night (forgot to take pics) but the rails are still square, so I am happy. The crossmember doesn't look bad looking underneath the truck, but I think 4x4labs has the most elegant solution for my purposes, so I will probably go with one of those. I will report back with the install.

IMG_20190827_123749.jpg

There is a good photo from my 4x4 labs install. Good comparison of the stock crossmember and the bumper that replaces it.

I was in the same place as you found a LC in great shape with a bent rear crossmember from who knows when. Very happy with the 4x4 bumper so far. There is usually a group around August if you hold out might be able to save a bit.

Didn't even know Dobinson's makes bumpers. I am a fan of their springs though and will likely use them on this build.

As for bumper options, this is my thought process right now:

4x4 Labs
-looks good
-great departure angle
-integrated hitch
-requires chassis cutting
-requires exhaust modification
~$1825 for dual arms with one tire carrier

ARB
-looks not bad
-will match my future ARB front bumper
-no cutting
-no exhaust mods
-integrated hitch (but not as nice as the 4x4Labs hitch)
-may not fit with my cross member in it's current condition
-bulky
-not so excellent departure angle
~$1500 - $1700 or so depending on vendor

I am fairly certain that I would have issues installing the Dobinson's because it uses the 4 bolt holes in the cross member and mine are not going to be where they need to be for that bumper. So that would require some extra cost on my end to either repair the cross member or replace it with a new one.

@KC masterpiece, comforting to hear that you had the same situation as me and made it work with the 4x4 Labs bumper. More points for 4x4 Labs.

Does anyone know if the ARB uses those 4 bolt holes in the middle of the cross member? If it just uses frame rail mounting holes and the factory hitch receiver holes then I don't think I should have an issue with this bumper. I read the installation manual for it and I don't think I noticed that, but if someone with the bumper could confirm that would be great. It would go over the cross member and the carnage will never be seen again lol.

The only reason that I'm a bit hesitant with the 4x4 Labs bumper is because of the chassis cutting. The main reason why I'm hesitant about the ARB bumper is because I'm not sure if it will mount easily with my cross member bent a bit.

My vision for this 80 is a 2" lift, 285/75/R16 KO2s, an ARB front bar and a tire carrying rear bar, and a set of White Knuckle sliders. I don't plan on wheeling is aggressively, mainly just easy/medium trails. Which is why I would be ok with the mediocre departure angle of the ARB.

I have a lot more thinking and research to do....

My bumper is a homebuilt one that leaves the rear crossmember in place. The main bumper is a channel that slides over the crossmember. I show this because there are several retail bumpers available that are designed similarly. The 4x4Labs bumper will have slightly better clearance because the crossmember is removed but its minimal. Other bumper options you could look at are Slee, and Delta. The two best designed bumpers available in my opinion.

Edit: and I think a few minutes with a 5lb sledge would would straighten out your crossmember just fine.

Bumper by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I think the 4x4 labs has the best look, function and available options in my opinion. I have a custom built that was purchased from a member a long time ago that I had modified. My bumper required the removal of the rear frame bar. I am planning on going with one of their bumpers in the future as mine isn’t what I want/need overall any more.

My bumper is a homebuilt one that leaves the rear crossmember in place. The main bumper is a channel that slides over the crossmember. I show this because there are several retail bumpers available that are designed similarly. The 4x4Labs bumper will have slightly better clearance because the crossmember is removed but its minimal. Other bumper options you could look at are Slee, and Delta. The two best designed bumpers available in my opinion.

Edit: and I think a few minutes with a 5lb sledge would would straighten out your crossmember just fine.

Bumper by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

What sway bar is that?

@Box Rocket -- very nice bumper setup. Looks super clean.

I will try beating it with a sledge this weekend, we'll see what happens. I suppose it could be enough force? If that works then I'd rather not cut it off just to keep everything as intact as possible. I also can't get the spare out because I can't get the tool in the carrier (that metal rod thing on the top of the cross member is in the way). So once I figure out a solution for that, we might have some results soon.

Call Luke at 4x4 labs and don't look back. I have installed a few of his bumpers and I have nothing but good to say about them. Fantastic product.

Mark...

I think a few minutes with a 5lb sledge would would straighten out your crossmember just fine.

I concur, who cares what it looks like underneath so long as you’re able to bolt things up.

EDIT: just want to add that crossmember will be weaker after bending it back. You need to heat it up before bending it back but I doubt it will be the same.

Last edited:
I don't see anyone here really endorsing the ARB, so I'm sure that means something. It looks like the 4x4 Labs bumper is worth the effort.

With that said, how much of the exhaust needs to be cut off? I'm guessing that I would need a new way to route the tailpipe out the back.

@Box Rocket -- very nice bumper setup. Looks super clean.

I will try beating it with a sledge this weekend, we'll see what happens. I suppose it could be enough force? If that works then I'd rather not cut it off just to keep everything as intact as possible. I also can't get the spare out because I can't get the tool in the carrier (that metal rod thing on the top of the cross member is in the way). So once I figure out a solution for that, we might have some results soon.
If you're cutting off the cross member, don't worry about taking a hammer to it. I just mentioned that as an option if you wanted to look at solutions that didn't remove the crossmember. The Labs bumper is great, and I'm not trying to turn you away from it. One thing to consider is if you ever changed your mind down the road and wanted a different bumper you're stuck with a cut frame. That could limit your bumper options in the future. But Luke's bumper is a good one if you are good with cutting the frame.

I just installed a rear bumper from avid off road on my 80. I had mixed results dealing with the company , but am happy with the bumper. Similar to 4x4labs, and a little cheaper.

I don't see anyone here really endorsing the ARB, so I'm sure that means something. It looks like the 4x4 Labs bumper is worth the effort.

With that said, how much of the exhaust needs to be cut off? I'm guessing that I would need a new way to route the tailpipe out the back.

All you have to do is remove the resonator. No other exhaust modifications.

It took me less than 5 min with a sawzall, and I was trying to make the cut look pretty.

It does increase the whistle around 3k rpm.

IMG_20190829_084602.jpg

IMG_20190827_201358.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom