Rear Bumper Options (New Member) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iron Pig offroad has a great bumper as well, but shipping from the east coast is almost $400

I figured I might as well share info on the ARB, since I have one. It catches a lot of hate on here because it has such a bad departure angle. The crux of the situation is that it integrates a rated tow hitch into the bumper while allowing you to keep a spare underneath. So, bumper is looong and has a rear step. I catch friendly jokes about my "rear patio" all the time. And I do hit it frequently on wheeling trips. But I rock crawl my rig, as hard as most folks on here.

On the other hand, for usability, it is handy. I use that rear step all the time. The hitch height is perfect for me and it even has a little compartment to stow trailer wires. I also really like the 2nd set of brake lights and turn signals. The powdercoat is really good and, even in New England, I have no bubbling or peeling. Mine came with my rig. I was debating getting a different bumper. After a lot of back and forth, I decided to get a tire swingout for it. It should arrive this week but, from what I hear, the quality and fitment of the swingout and latches is very good. Is the bumper for everyone? No. Originally, it wasn't for me... but it keeps growing on me.

0IhaEoOh.jpg

Last edited:
To help put price into perspective I just checked my 4x4 labs receipt. I paid $2207.50 for my 4x4 labs including freight.

That was for a dual swingout with a tire carrier and cargo basket. No powdercoating. At the group buy discount (I think it was 10%).

Probably spent another $60 or so on paint.

Pro tip. Don't try to install it yourself, or use an old angle grinder without a guard to make the cuts. Your knees and hands will regret it.

My bumper is a homebuilt one that leaves the rear crossmember in place. The main bumper is a channel that slides over the crossmember. I show this because there are several retail bumpers available that are designed similarly. The 4x4Labs bumper will have slightly better clearance because the crossmember is removed but its minimal. Other bumper options you could look at are Slee, and Delta. The two best designed bumpers available in my opinion.

Edit: and I think a few minutes with a 5lb sledge would would straighten out your crossmember just fine.

Bumper by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
Hey Adam @Box Rocket , what did you do to clear out the receiver area. Did you just cut a square out of your crossmember? Best looking "slip on" bumper I've seen :D

All you have to do is remove the resonator. No other exhaust modifications.

It took me less than 5 min with a sawzall, and I was trying to make the cut look pretty.

It does increase the whistle around 3k rpm.

If you add a short piece of tailpipe, enough to direct the exhaust out toward the side but not enough to extend under side of the bumper, that should eliminate the whistle. Does for me anyway. Although on my personal rig, I kinda like the whistle. It give me an auditory diagnostic tool as it alerts me to skips or misses that are too subtle to show on the tach or to feel in the seat of the pants. ;)

Mark...

All you have to do is remove the resonator. No other exhaust modifications.

It took me less than 5 min with a sawzall, and I was trying to make the cut look pretty.

It does increase the whistle around 3k rpm.

View attachment 2209193

View attachment 2209195

do you get any exhaust to come back inside the cab with the windows down with it cut that way and do you have any sounds clips?

I think I have made my decision to go with the 4x4 Labs bumper. Just a cleaner look I think and I can still tow with it. And I realized that the ARB doesn't come with the tire carrier for $1700 so that's a bummer.
Probably going with a double swing out with 1 tire carrier and nothing on the second one for future usage.

Exhaust cutting doesn't seem to be an issue, might get a tailpipe from Pepboys or something and clamp it on.
As for the rear cross member, it looks like a sawzall will be the best course of action.

Thank you for all your input everyone. Very helpful and much appreciated. I've been on several 4WD forums and this has been my favorite...

I just ordered a 4x4Labs bumper on Friday. Dual swingouts with 1 of them holding a tire. Not sure what I will use the second one for yet, but I'm thinking a Rotopax arrangement of some sort. Also decided to get it assembled and powder coated so I don't have to do that. Not cheap as you all probably know, but I'm sure I'll get what I've paid for. Seems like real quality work. Not sure how long it will take for them to ship it out, but from what I've heard from other threads on MUD it does take a while. IDK we shall see. If anyone has any idea please let me know. Either way I'm very excited for this bumper.

As for the rest of the truck, I've gone through the mechanical repairs and maintenance over the past month. New belts, cooling system overhaul, all new gaskets, all new fluids, repacked the wheel bearings, cleaned up the interior, etc. Mechanically this 80 seems to be pretty solid; can't wait to start the mods.

My OME 861/862 setup came in the mail the other day as well so that should go on soon. Been a fan of Bilstein 5100s for a while now so I will try a set of those on the 80. As for tires, going with KO2s but I'm not sure what size yet. Going to be either a 265/75/R16 or 285/75/R16.

Anyway, just wanted to update this thread a bit. Hopefully I can post pictures of the new bumper on the 80 soon!

Bumper finally came, on schedule as well. Just got it installed today. Overall, I am very happy with the results.

With a sawzall and a 4.5" angle grinder, it took me about 3 hours to cut the rear of the frame off and grind the welds and such. Installed it with my dad, but a third person would've been better as the bumper is probably at the weight limit of two average people's lifting capacity.

Also for anyone reading this before installing their own, once the bumper is on the frame rails, it will stay on by itself. So it is pretty easy to get the bolts on once the holes are lined up. Bumper comes with new bolts for mounting as well.

A few things I noticed:
1. There were no lug nuts that came with the bumper. Anyone know of one that will fit in for the stock rims?
2. Missing 2 bolts for the license plate bracket. These should be the large yellow zinc plated bolts for the swingarm. I will email HD about this and hopefully they can send them out to me.
3. Rear end did not sag at all after installing. I have OME 862 rear coils currently. So either the coils are up for the task or all the stuff removed from the rear end is roughly the same weight as the new bumper.
4. There is no license plate light. I think I have a solution for this, hopefully I can get to in this weekend.

I will be posting pictures soon.

Pics or it never happened right...
Well here are some pics.

Was debating on whether or not I should have a tailpipe welded onto the exhaust; after driving it a bit I don't hear too much more sound so I will leave it as is.
Also included a pic of the new trailer wiring plug. Put it on the frame rail so it is out of the way and wont get damaged off road.

I also found some lugs on Amazon, should be coming tomorrow. Will report on how those worked out.

IMG_2063.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg

Maybe it's just the photo that makes it look as close as it is but I don't think I'd want the trailer plug or harness that close to the exhaust exit. Even if the exhaust isn't point directly at the plug there's a lot of heat coming out and could damage it. just a heads up.

Maybe it's just the photo that makes it look as close as it is but I don't think I'd want the trailer plug or harness that close to the exhaust exit. Even if the exhaust isn't point directly at the plug there's a lot of heat coming out and could damage it. just a heads up.

that’s a good point actually. I’ll keep an eye on it, might come up with a different solution

How is the exhaust?

I love my 4x4 labs bumper but the whistle is real....

On the highway, it sounds the same as before. Definitely more whistle when accelerating. Otherwise, it's not bad. Kind of sounds like an angry hummingbird? :D

I suppose a custom exhaust shop could weld on the old muffler and re-route the tail pipe, maybe mount the muffler with the old mount to the tire carrier bolt holes? This was my original plan, but the sound is more than tolerable so I will leave it alone.

Added a cheap exhaust tip from Amazon and it looks a lot cleaner. Also gets the exhaust out the way very nicely. Might be a small issue off road but I guess I will find that out soon. At this point, I am OK with the placement of the trailer wiring but again I will keep it monitored and might change it up.

Also got some M12x1.50 Gorilla lug nuts for about $6. Does the job. Also FYI the hi-lift jack bolt uses the same thread.

Still waiting to hear back from HD about those license plate bracket bolts and still deciding on a tire size... If I go with a 33" I will probably have to change the exhaust tip, might be too close.

IMG_2085.jpeg

IMG_2088.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

Looks great! I have a 4x4 Labs that should be shipped soon. Can you give more info on your License plate light? Here in TN its a law to have it and they like to find a easy excuse to pull you over.lol

Different bumper but had to cut exhaust in the same place. A $5 30 bend from the parts store kicks it straight out and kinda looks like it’s supposed to be there.
28436021-13E1-4B8B-BF30-8E3DB515D398.png

P.S. not nearly as close to the tire as it looks in the pic.

Looks great! I have a 4x4 Labs that should be shipped soon. Can you give more info on your License plate light? Here in TN its a law to have it and they like to find a easy excuse to pull you over.lol

Same with CA, you gotta have that plate light. I actually bought this for my trailer a few years ago, forgot to ever put it on, then realized I still had it and could put it on this. Tried putting a link up but it's not working; it's called "LED License Plate Light for Trailer" on Amazon, about $10. Super bright and DOT legal. I ended up mounting it on top of the plate because it was throwing light on the back of the truck. I still have some random fasteners holding the plate bracket up so ignore those lol.

Since I don't tow very often, I'm fine with the trailer wiring being a little out of the way. @Corbet that is a very clean looking solution though.
@Railwelder93 very nice looking outlet, maybe once things start opening up a bit more here in the Bay Area I'll go to Pepboys and find some exhaust bends. Definitely looks more factory than mine.

As for the rest of the build, I've decided on 285/75/R16 KO2s so I should hopefully get a set of 5 mounted in a few weeks. Also finally got all the parts in for the GM 20Gal aux fuel tank, so we shall see how that goes. Thank you everyone for your help on this process. Been a long road with this one from how it used to look to how it looks now.

IMG_2093.jpeg

Last edited:
Same with CA, you gotta have that plate light. I actually bought this for my trailer a few years ago, forgot to ever put it on, then realized I still had it and could put it on this. Tried putting a link up but it's not working; it's called "LED License Plate Light for Trailer" on Amazon, about $10. Super bright and DOT legal. I ended up mounting it on top of the plate because it was throwing light on the back of the truck. I still have some random fasteners holding the plate bracket up so ignore those lol.

DiscoCam, Just what I was needing! Ordered one....Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom