Rear Bump Stop Types (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been researching rear bump stop setups. In that search I noticed a couple what looks like factory type rear bump stops. One is shorter, one is longer. I know mine has the shorter setup which leads me to believe maybe the longer one is an aftermarket one or one from another vehicle. Any info would be appreciated.

small bump2.JPG

small bump.JPG

larger bump2.JPG

larger bump.JPG

The P/N in your first pic is a stock version. The other pics are versions made to adapt the bump stops to lifts and are made by various vendors.

Do a search here for bump stops and you should find a couple threads on suspensions and whose to use and all that. It will involve reading and a bit of time if there is something specific you are looking for.

The adaptation varies from a machined aluminum block to a piece of square tube chopped by a hand held grinder and drilled by a dull bit in the middle of a forest and welded on with a coat hanger using a battery-welder.

Disregard the extensions, look at the actual bump stop, the bottom 2 are longer than the top 2.

I've found a couple other rear drum 80s that have the larger bump stop. That could account for some of the variation in extension lengths.

There is a 70 series bumpstop that is taller and fits the rear of an 80.
Slinky Parts by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I ran those for a little while but currently have Timbren bumpstops. These have been really nice for smoothing out big bottom-outs. No more hard hits. I have them front and rear. The short ones are for the front.

Hmm, intresting thread.
To the OP, my 1st guess is what you mentioned. 91-92 had drum brakes & the 3-FE motor. Cant for sure confirm the exact the reason for taller factory bump stops. What was the original reason for the question. Did you get bigger tires...if so there are many options to choose.

I ran those for a little while but currently have Timbren bumpstops. These have been really nice for smoothing out big bottom-outs. No more hard hits. I have them front and rear. The short ones are for the front.
Do you know the application or part # on this 70 series long bump stop?

Hmm, intresting thread.
To the OP, my 1st guess is what you mentioned. 91-92 had drum brakes & the 3-FE motor. Cant for sure confirm the exact the reason for taller factory bump stops. What was the original reason for the question. Did you get bigger tires...if so there are many options to choose.
I have 37" on about a 5" lift. Been running 2" extensions on the rear and the bumpstops still dont quite make contact where I want them. Notice another inmate with almost the exact same setup (lift, tires and wheels) showing good contact on bump stops but have the longer style bump stops. Its nothing more than just noticing a difference in what appears to be factory parts that I really couldn't find any previous information on. Its kind of gone sideways now.

2.5" what I recommend for 37s unless you want to start trimming/cutting.

The Timbren are awesome - it’s a game changer to have a progressive bump stop over an extended hard rubber setup.

Seems quite a few people are starting to use Kongs for the same purpose and that’s a cheaper route.

Is the Kong actually holding up to big hits?
Its a dog chew toy...
The Timbrens are now around $297 retail... just found a set for $225.

Last edited:
Is the Kong actually holding up to big hits? Its a dog chew toy.
The Timbrens are now around $297 retail... just found a set for $225.
The kings are Holding up well..

I have been slamming through the whoops at Johnson Valley, Moab, Rubicon in both directions and lots more.

I have been slamming through the whoops at Johnson Valley, Moab, Rubicon in both directions and lots more.

Are you selling the Kong mounts on your site?

Are you selling the Kong mounts on your site?

Just added

Is your top panhard bolt on that delta extension hitting the frame crossmember? Sure looks like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom