Rear Brake Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changed out my rear brakes and rotors today on my '96 FJ80. I did not change the brake shoes. No problem with the work but when I went out for a test drive I could hear a clicking noise from the right rear. Sounded like I had something stuck in my tire because the sound occurred with each tire revolution. Checked the tire and wheel for any issues, both checked out. Pulled the wheel, caliper and rotor, everything looked good, no strange wear or marks where anything is rubbing. Parking brake is holding. Went out for another test drive, same noise. I noticed the noise stopped when I went around a right hand turn and no noise when I am backing up. I'm at a loss.

This exact same thing is happening on my truck as well. I pulled the rotor off and saw that the internal drum lip is rubbing on the backing plate where the parking brake shoes slide. Its already worn a 2-3mm groove in the plate. I'm baffled as to what is causing this. There was no wear on this piece previously and the plate doesn't appear to be bent? Brand new Toyota rotors and it only happens when turning right; left hand turns and driving straight have no effect. If I turn right at slow speeds I get a raaaaa raaaaaa raaaaaaa raaaaaa

Last edited:
I just checked it again and it's only rubbing on the bottom half of the plate and only on right hand turns.

bummer! I don't have any of my tools in the new house yet. I do have my Makita hand grinder and a sanding disk though....

I took my handheld grinder to the drum lip and machined it down. Noise is gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom