Dragging rear brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I’ve got a 91 80 series hdt

Having problems where the hand brake is basically pulling itself on, I only believe it’s the hand brake as when driving and pulling the hand brake on the noise it makes goes away(I forgot to add it makes like a clunking noise, the car has new rotors callipers and flexi lines, and brake shoes. Everything was replaced to the book and has been checked, the cog that adjusts the shoes width is at the minimum and the bell cranks have been greased. The hand brake lever itself comes up 8 clicks before getting tight and I’ve read that 5 is a guide to aim for ?, so if I adjusted the cable down it would make the hand brake even worse and not work ? What are some other things to check for as the car is basically in a parked state at the moment. The brakeRotors seem to get very hot after about 5 mins of driving and there is a large amount of break dust coming from the shoes when I’ve checked them

Did you replace the pins that hold the caliper to the mount? Mine had the rubber boot fall out and started to corroded over time with weather exposure. What you described sounds like what also experienced. I didn't replace my pins. Just cleaned up and greased before reinstalling.

Did you replace the pins that hold the caliper to the mount? Mine had the rubber boot fall out and started to corroded over time with weather exposure. What you described sounds like what also experienced. I didn't replace my pins. Just cleaned up and greased before reinstalling.
Yeah brand new sliding pins calliper doesn’t stick at all, bleed the whole system a few times aswell and made sure that it was releasing pressure

I could not get the parking brake to work correctly with after market parts 🤷‍♂️

Went all OEM works perfect now😉

Hey guys I’ve got a 91 80 series hdt

Having problems where the hand brake is basically pulling itself on, I only believe it’s the hand brake as when driving and pulling the hand brake on the noise it makes goes away(I forgot to add it makes like a clunking noise, the car has new rotors callipers and flexi lines, and brake shoes. Everything was replaced to the book and has been checked, the cog that adjusts the shoes width is at the minimum and the bell cranks have been greased. The hand brake lever itself comes up 8 clicks before getting tight and I’ve read that 5 is a guide to aim for ?, so if I adjusted the cable down it would make the hand brake even worse and not work ? What are some other things to check for as the car is basically in a parked state at the moment. The brakeRotors seem to get very hot after about 5 mins of driving and there is a large amount of break dust coming from the shoes when I’ve checked them
Define "very hot" on brake rotors.

Brake dust is common on cheaper brake pads.

Having the star adjuster at the minimum is incorrect. They need to be properly adjusted.

You also need to properly bed your brakes when doing a new installation.

Follow the FSM.

Define "very hot" on brake rotors.

Brake dust is common on cheaper brake pads.

Having the star adjuster at the minimum is incorrect. They need to be properly adjusted.

You also need to properly bed your brakes when doing a new installation.

Follow the FSM.
There at the minimum adjustment cause the drag. And hot meaning you couldn’t hold your finger on the rotor for more then 2 seconds after 5 mins of driving

There at the minimum adjustment cause the drag. And hot meaning you couldn’t hold your finger on the rotor for more then 2 seconds after 5 mins of driving
There’s something going on with the disk brakes, IMHO the parking brake shoe is not going to get the rotor that hot in 5 minutes

There’s something going on with the disk brakes, IMHO the parking brake shoe is not going to get the rotor that hot in 5 minutes
His is a 91. I am ASSUMING he has drum brakes on the rear (semi-float) and disk in the front. However, since it's and HDT, it could be a full float with disks on all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom