Rear Brake Caliper Won't Fit Back On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have this issue before? Just doing my rear brakes (pads and rotors) and it seems like the brake pin is out too far and I can't get the caliper back on. The brake piston is fully compressed so that isn't what is stopping it. Below is pic, it's the bottom pin that you line up the bolt on and it's just barely too far out to slide the caliper on. Any ideas?

IMG_1491.jpg

Anyone have this issue before? Just doing my rear brakes (pads and rotors) and it seems like the brake pin is out too far and I can't get the caliper back on. The brake piston is fully compressed so that isn't what is stopping it. Below is pic, it's the bottom pin that you line up the bolt on and it's just barely too far out to slide the caliper on. Any ideas?

View attachment 2377178
That is a greased pin and should move in and out freely by hand. If you can't push it in or twist it then it's likely seized up. Does it move at all?

Pin should just push in. FSM specs pulling the pins and regreasing them whenever changing pads.

That is a greased pin and should move in and out freely by hand. If you can't push it in or twist it then it's likely seized up. Does it move at all?

The top one moves freely, I can't get this one on the bottom to move.

The top one moves freely, I can't get this one on the bottom to move.

I think bottom one has a rubber sheath at the end of the slide pin making them super stuck once the rubber seal expand because someone use the wrong grease. Use a socket and try to turn it, meanwhile pull the boot back to see if you see any rust/corrosion. If you see any, you'd have to remove that bracket and apply heat to that part of the bracket until you are able to spin the pin. Then take it out and sand down the pin until it is smooth and regrease it, meanwhile you need to clean the hole it slides into with a wire brush of some kind.

I think bottom one has a rubber sheath at the end of the slide pin making them super stuck once the rubber seal expand because someone use the wrong grease. Use a socket and try to turn it, meanwhile pull the boot back to see if you see any rust/corrosion. If you see any, you'd have to remove that bracket and apply heat to that part of the bracket until you are able to spin the pin. Then take it out and sand down the pin until it is smooth and regrease it, meanwhile you need to clean the hole it slides into with a wire brush of some kind.
You could try a .17 or .22 caliber barrel brush...either stainless steel or bronze. Cheap and they work well for stuff like this. Just noticed you're in DC...not sure where you' find one locally...:bang: Online, I'd just google for a gun place near you.

hth

Steve

So: 1- Remove the pin, 2- Clean out the hole, 3- Re-grease, 4- Hopefully it will fully seat.

I swear these jobs never go as planned.

So: 1- Remove the pin, 2- Clean out the hole, 3- Re-grease, 4- Hopefully it will fully seat.

One of my pins was missing a boot all together when I redid mine recently, think these get overlooked a lot. Totally seized in there but actually cleaned up ok with some emery cloth and a barrel brush. Going to order new pins though when i get around to it. FYI Napa sells a new boot kit for the slide pins that fit well on the oem part if your boots are cracking and don't want to wait on toyota.

One of my pins was missing a boot all together when I redid mine recently, think these get overlooked a lot. Totally seized in there but actually cleaned up ok with some emery cloth and a barrel brush. Going to order new pins though when i get around to it. FYI Napa sells a new boot kit for the slide pins that fit well on the oem part if your boots are cracking and don't want to wait on toyota.

How did you get the seized pin out? Mine will spin, but I can not get it move out at all.

Should just pull out, the pin just sits in an empty shaft. Maybe pull the caliper mountain bracket (2 bolts) and squirt some pb blaster down there, then clean it out after with your barrel brush and some isopropyl alcohol before reassembling.

and all this is better than a 50$ rebuilt caliper?

Where can I buy this? Does it include the caliper bracket, because that is the part with the stuck pin. I would 100% be interested in that.

Should just pull out, the pin just sits in an empty shaft. Maybe pull the caliper mountain bracket (2 bolts) and squirt some pb blaster down there, then clean it out after with your barrel brush and some isopropyl alcohol before reassembling.

Yeah when I did the driver side both pins slid out pretty easily. This passenger side one is completely locked up, been working on it off and on this morning. I'll soak some pb blaster in there and see it that helps.

normally i buy calipers, loaded or not from rock auto. I hate the core charge but they have always been good to me, quick refund on the core. For at least ten years. edit, since 2001 or so.
local places have them also I'm sure, for more money. these rears are dirt cheap on the 100s

Last edited:
This likes it, $26 seems cheap. The replacement pin is like $15, and I think I can reuse everything else.

1595274499204.png

Get a Centric if they have it.

Looks like Centric is available if you buy the whole reman caliper, Cardone is the only option they have for just the caliper bracket.

I just went through the same thing last week end. Heat did it for me, I did not use excessive force on it due to the fear of snapping it in half and then drilling for 2-3 hrs or getting a new caliper which would be $.

She came free! Been soaking in PB today and I've been working on it with vice grips every couple of hours.

I can't tell why it was so hung up as no debris came out with it. Also, the rubber fitting is gone. Is that absolutely necessary?
IMG_1492.jpg

Digging into my gun cleaning kit like hankinid mentioned to see if I have a bore brush that will fit. Any other suggestions to clean it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom