Rear brake caliper was sticking a little so I decided to replace the rotors and pads. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdfern

SILVER Star
Threads
While changing pads and rotors I had a hard time pressing the caliper piston back in. Took it apart and found corrosion. I tried to smooth it out with emery and crocus cloth but was unable to get it smooth enough and the cylinder was pretty bad too.
So I just ordered a new caliper... funny how repairs snowball.

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

I do every 4-5 years. What you have is a neglected brake system.

Could've also been a failed outer seal... water intrusion from the brake pad side of the piston.

Yes the left side was fine, going to flush out the fluid and replace the right caliper. The left side got new seals and boots. What I found amazing was that as bad as the cylinder was, it was still working and not even leaking just slight noise sometimes.

If at rest, your inner seal is positioned as shown, the caliper will continue to work until you have no more brake pads left. The rust is coming from the outside in, not inside out. No amount of brake fluid flushes will touch the rusted area.

IMG_2534.JPG

If at rest, your inner seal is positioned as shown, the caliper will continue to work until you have no more brake pads left. The rust is coming from the outside in, not inside out. No amount of brake fluid flushes will touch the rusted area.

View attachment 3592564
Yep.. It's more about how much you get into water, etc. Those pistons need to be lubed and covered with rubber boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom