Rear axle seal question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been putting off replacing the RR axle seal on my 97 TLC for about 6 months now :meh:

Since I've never done anything to the rear except drain and fills and I'm pushing half a million miles, I got parts from Beno to do both sides.

So Friday night after work, I pulled into the shop and tore everything down.

Like an idiot, I followed the FSM which said to unplug and remove the ABS sensors, an unneeded step which of course I ended up snapping the bolt to :bang:

It wasn't until after I pulled the rotor that I realized it wasn't necessary to remove the sensors :rolleyes:

Anyways, onto the seal question....

When I removed the old seal on the passenger side (the leaky one), it appeared to be flush with the end of the spindle.

When I removed the old seal on the driver's side (bone dry), it appeared to be much deeper in the spindle.

Checked both axles for wear and they looked fine, so when I installed the seals, I figured I'd install them a little deeper like the driver's side was.

Now, after about 200 miles, I notice oil seeping from the driver's side flange :mad: (I knew I shouldn't have messed with it)

I'm thinking I might have installed them too deep :doh:

Is the seal supposed to be flush with the outer edge of the spindle or the inner ridge?

Most full floating rear axles don't use grease anyway. The gear oil is what lubricates the wheel bearing. That could probably work for us if we sealed the axle to the hub well enough to contain the oil.

OK, so here's a pic of the old seal on the driver's side (the one that wasn't leaking)

rearaxlesealoopsie_8.jpg

As you can see, it's pushed in quite a bit (possibly bottomed out)

The passenger side (one that was leaking) was flush with the outer edge of the spindle.

Where exactly should it be?

Good to know

Weird how they're in different positions.

AFAIK, they were the original seals from factory

Anyhoo, my local Toyo dealer can get them by this afternoon, but can't deliver to my shop until Wednesday and I gotta be at work by 1 today, so I guess I'll be putting it off again until the weekend :meh: (was hoping to get it done on my day off tomorrow)

Most full floating rear axles don't use grease anyway. The gear oil is what lubricates the wheel bearing. That could probably work for us if we sealed the axle to the hub well enough to contain the oil.
That is only true of semi-float Land Cruiser rears. The full float rears are almost identical to the fronts, with inner and outer bearings (same part numbers as the fronts). Wheel bearings are packed with grease and don't run in gear oil.

I can't remember who, but one prominent cruiser mechanic on here doesn't put the rear inner seals back in unless the vehicle owner specifically requests it. IIRC he's been doing this with his rig for years and the bearings hold up very well. This is what I'll be doing with mine when I pull the passenger side shaft to have the splines machined off for the locker disassembly.

And yes, avoiding leaks will now depend on your rear bearings staying tight and your outer seal being good. Either scenario gone bad will cause leaks (the first would even with an inner oil seal)

Technically gear oil is a better bearing lubricant than grease anyway.

That is only true of semi-float Land Cruiser rears. The full float rears are almost identical to the fronts, with inner and outer bearings (same part numbers as the fronts). Wheel bearings are packed with grease and don't run in gear oil.

By "most" I assume @baldilocks is referring to basically every full-float axle in production other than landcruisers. Whether we are talking about a ford F250-650, over-the-road freightliner, the fire engine I drive, basically all of those full-float axles just have gear oil from the differential splashing into the bearing assemblies as lubricant.

Thank you, I'm aware if this. That's why I said "most" and not "Toyota". This ain't my first rodeo Pardner. Happy 4th.

By "most" I assume @baldilocks is referring to basically every full-float axle in production other than landcruisers. Whether we are talking about a ford F250-650, over-the-road freightliner, the fire engine I drive, basically all of those full-float axles just have gear oil from the differential splashing into the bearing assemblies as lubricant.
Affirmative Mr. Bloc. Happy 4 th and keep safe, the pyromaniacs will at it again.

I can't remember who, but one prominent cruiser mechanic on here doesn't put the rear inner seals back in unless the vehicle owner specifically requests it. IIRC he's been doing this with his rig for years and the bearings hold up very well. This is what I'll be doing with mine when I pull the passenger side shaft to have the splines machined off for the locker disassembly.

And yes, avoiding leaks will now depend on your rear bearings staying tight and your outer seal being good. Either scenario gone bad will cause leaks (the first would even with an inner oil seal)

Technically gear oil is a better bearing lubricant than grease anyway.
The mechanic of which you speak refers to himself as @Tools R Us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom