Transfer case rear output seal questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm about to go replace the output seal on my transfer case and trying to mentally walk through the job before tearing into it.

Can the rear extension housing be removed with the crossmember still bolted to the frame rails?

Planning to replace the output seal, bearing, snap rings, speedo o-ring, and put an extended breather on. I'll probably ditch the viscous coupler too.

I got good instructions from another post on mud, but it doesn't go into this detail.

I printed the pages from the FSM.

Might be immediately obvious once I pop my head under to get started, but thought I'd ask.

I searched, and didn't have any luck.

Last of all, I've done a ton of work on many vehicle systems, but never touched an extension housing, so I'm trying to prep as much as I can.

If I had just taken 30 seconds to look at it, rather than posting, I'd have my answer.

Looks like you could remove the rear extension housing from a stock vehicle with the stock crossmember in place.

I have a creeper skid that is definitely going to have to come out to remove my extension housing.

IMG_2687.jpeg

Last edited:
Mods, please delete.

If I had just taken 30 seconds to look at it, rather than posting, I'd have my answer.

Looks like you could remove the rear extension housing from a stock vehicle with the stock crossmember in place.

I have a creeper skid that is definitely going to have to come out to remove my extension housing.

View attachment 3431649
To be honest it may be easier to drop the whole case and do both while it's out.

Would be nice to see some photos of the process as you go along. Everyone seems to find this or that little clue or tip on how to repair/replace something
FWIW

That was very helpful, thank you.

As anticipated I had to remove my Trail Tailor Creeper skid.

Somebody has been in here before. Bolts have what seems like yellow loctite (I've never seen yellow before), and a liberal use of red gasket sealer (doesn't look like fipg). Wonder what they did?...

Pretty straightforward but a bit of work: chock front wheels, drain fluid (break fill bolt free to be sure you can get in), unscrew ground wire bolt, remove little splash shield, undo four axle nuts and remove them (may need to put center diff in Neutral, jack rear wheels and turn axle to get to all four), tie axle out of the way, remove two electrical plugs and speedo plug (I also unscrewed the sensor and removed it). Remove the five long and four short bolts holding extension housing to transfer case (I dropped the assembly a few inches to get to the two top bolts). Gently pry tap and wiggle the extension housing off. Mine dripped additional gear oil when the extension broke loose.

The extension housing isn't heavy at all. You probably won't need a transmission jack or anything like that.

Now onto the seal and bearing stuff.

IMG_2698.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom