rear axle ISSHH... real time input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NW-sickboy said:
no it wont come out... Its prolly going to rocklogic next week to have them tear it down.

Prolly going to stick with an e-locker. I am going to try and avoid certain situations and going with stickier tires. just tone things down w abit.

I don't think the one you broke in November was really that tough of a situation. I think you may have cracked it or broke it prior to that. I still have yet to transfer that video to my computer. When I do I'll get a copy to you.

Eric V.

update: I have been gone hunting for a week and the rig has been at rock logic in SLC. These guys are super helpful and are familiar with toyotas.

They ended up having to due what action did but on both sides. I actually twisted splines on the short and long side axles. The were able to save the collar but had to trash the shift fork.

I have a new OEM long side and a used OEM short side from cruiserparst.net. Once the Bobby has his chromoly rear shafts done i will be getting them.

I just picked up some "new to me" but used bead locks for the "new to me" tires.

am going by RL today and hope to get some pics.

AFIK no one has twisted both shafts in the third. i need to change this thread to operation works case scenario. It has been a huge learning experience though as i have been in my front axle plenty but never done much on the back end.

need to thank slee and KURT for help as i know rock logic has made a few phone call for parts and input to both. super helpful

Last edited:
ginericfj80 said:
I don't think the one you broke in November was really that tough of a situation. I think you may have cracked it or broke it prior to that. I still have yet to transfer that video to my computer. When I do I'll get a copy to you.

Eric V.

that obstacle was plenty technical. it was compounded by some other situations but i dont think either shaft was cracked or twisted prior to that but there is absoloutly NO WAY to know that.

I am hoping with stickier tires and beadlocks i can get some more traction and use less of the skinny pedal.

ETA from Japan to me for the fork is 20 October.

D-

cruiserdan said:
ETA from Japan to me for the fork is 20 October.

D-

:D The guys at RL4x4 told me you were the best Toyota parts guy they had dealt with... of course your old pal Dave treats us pretty good too! :D

NW-sickboy said:
...need to thank slee and KURT for help as i know rock logic has made a few phone call for parts and input to both. super helpful

Calls? They don't call me... I'm just the delivery driver, that why Carl is sending me to Vegas with the buggy :D You ought to come down for SuperCrawl

cruiseroutfit said:
Calls? They don't call me... I'm just the delivery driver, that why Carl is sending me to Vegas with the buggy :D You ought to come down for SuperCrawl

that would be the weekend to go..... except i am getting married.

uh oh...I sure hope I am not reliving this :)

i hope not too. its a major PITA... had to torch into the rear of the axle housing on both sides of the third to torch off shafts ect.... major major pita... i the gear in my e-locker may have cracked or broke now too....

I dont think there is a "hole" through the middle to be able to push through.

on the 4 spider locking diff there is a hole through, in the 2 spider non locking diff it is blocked.

not that it helps with this case.

I think my short side came out enough to get the third out. Getting the remains of the long side out tomorrow and giving it a go.

hmm, have a front 5.29 as well? I can unload that s***ty design from ya :)

Well, I have to go get a magnet from my dad to get the long side out. He has these heavy earth pill magnets that use for cows. The feed em to the cow and it picks up all the metal they eat as it works its way out. Should fit in the tube and can be notched to attach a rope. If the long side is not twisted and comes out I should be able to pull the third this week.

Will take some crappy pics with my phone as I go :)

Interesting break... I've seen & heard of a couple more of these instances since Borgs... I think they are a great locker, up to the point you break a shaft ;)

Yeah, hence the chromoly once I get them out, hope to not have to worry about this again. Everything is torn down to where it is just a matter of the shafts coming out. PS is still jammed, getting the magnet within the next day or two.

I completely agree that it is twisted. I am hoping that I have enough clearance that I can pull the third once I get the DS out...hence the need for the magnet.

If I can get the third out I am hoping to cut loose the twist and extract the rest...saving my butt a buncha money.

Plan B may be to run chromoly on the DS and mr. twist on the PS until it sheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom