Rear A/C in an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is prob a bad evaporator which is under the front dashboard. you need to put the ac gauges on it and compare it to the full service manual on specifications.
Thank you for the response. I don't understand car HVAC very well. Why do you say likely the evaporator when there is no cold freon reaching the evaporator? I guess flow could be blocked? Is that a common mode of failure?

Thanks for everyone on the posts/details on the magnetic valve but I am confused. Some suggest is a a diverter valve that "splits" the system but it looks like a simple "on/off" inline valve with one input and one output.

it sounds like the way it works is the cold freon flow is split and the side that goes to the rear is controlled by this magnetic valve but NOT the side that goes to the front (unless it has its own separate magnetic valve.)

Again, if I have a nice cold rear AC and nice cold console frig than is this magnetic valve something that is a possible issue for me?

I'm still struggling to figure our where/how it splits. I don't see where the diagrams show it?

The "T" where the front and rear systems split has been staring me in the face the whole time. It is definitely BEFORE the magnetic valve so the mag valve must control only "on/off" to rear part of system. The left side of the T in the photo just goes around engine bay to the passenger side where it goes through firewall right where cabin evaporator is.

I guess the expansion valve is at or is part of the evaporator assembly. I think I'm done messing with this looking for something. Car is going to have to go to San Jose and have someone take the whole g-damn dashboard apart.

air cond t.jpg

I'm still struggling to figure our where/how it splits. I don't see where the diagrams show it?
I know I've got a diagram somewhere, I also have an entire rear AC line set sitting around. I'll lay it out tomorrow and get photos. Pretty sure the fridge is a constantly open system so it can run without the cabin ac blowing, front and rear systems are switched open or closed. I'll dig it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom