Rear A/C in an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you want A/C in the rear of your truck bad enough to try and retrofit it from a JDM spec truck, you might as well chop a hole in your roof and install an RV unit.

Or else build a uzj105

pict0092b-jpg.71289

Does anyone know what the part number is for the push button fan switch in this picture from page 1 of this 80 series rear A/C thread? Or maybe another vehicle it was used on so I could look it up? It would be a perfect dash switch for a condenser fan.

Hello guys. I'm recently buy a car from other member of ih8mud And it have a installation of the rear a/c.It was a pita install it some time ago, they say he sell the car to one person and some moths later I buy it . The question is that it don't work right now. . I would like to find the electrical diagram to my electrical mecanico to try debug why it don't work.

Right now, today i dismount some parts of the rear a/c and discover two small cables that are disconnect , fit it and i have air in the rear area, and really cold. Great mod in this car. The next proyect dual tank....lets go.....

The installation was finish and working. Just one cable wasn't connect because they wasn't correctly routed. It was trivial . But what I learn seeing this is that the installation from zero is very very dificult. A 5 banana at least work.

I've thought for a while it would be really cool to have rear AC in my 80, although I think of it much less often now that I'm in Colorado instead of Texas. Lately I've been traveling back to Texas 2-3 times a year to visit family, so I find myself thinking about rear AC on these trips.

What I was thinking about as a fairly cheap way to do it was to kill one of the vents in the dash and run some type of tubing off of the plenum to some "airplane vents" mounted in the ceiling above the 2nd and 3rd rows. (thinking about just mounting the "globe vents" through the headliner; not some big bulky console)

28bcbb16edbbd8e76b4f35352c8f06b1--delta-connection-air-vent.jpg

If it's possible, this way should be much cheaper and easier since you're only adding passive components (no additional electrical, controls, condenser, etc. etc.).

With this approach, if the rear passengers want air (whether hot or cold) they just turn the knob and they get some of whatever is blowing in the front seat. If they don't want air, just turn the knob off.

I'm just not sure how/where you would be able to run any ducting/tubing that would be sufficient for carrying the air back to the vents.

Here's a diagram I borrowed and modified to show kind of what I'm talking about.

upload_2018-1-8_18-27-4.png

Bump
Think i found a ac unit that might fit in place of the underseat heater. Once in place might be able to run ac lines in place of the rear heater lines. Than run ducts with vents to the back of the center console. Not sure if the evap/blower can be purchased separately.

Last edited:
pict0092b-jpg.71289

Does anyone know what the part number is for the push button fan switch in this picture from page 1 of this 80 series rear A/C thread? Or maybe another vehicle it was used on so I could look it up? It would be a perfect dash switch for a condenser fan.

Any one figure out this switch part number? Would be perfect for my JDM fan.

Looks like I found it and it's NLA. Who has one of these JDM switched they want to sell?

88610C Switch Assy, Cooler Control
[08.1991 - 01.1995] FJ80,FZJ80..LUB LIGHT GRAY,TRIM1#
88610-60070-03SHOW
88610C Switch Assy, Cooler Control
[08.1991 - 01.1995] FJ80,FZJ80..LUB LIGHT SABLE,TRIM4#
88610-60070-06

@gnarlynick2072

Has an entire Factory rear AC set up out of a Saudi rig he might want to sell. Ask him.

@gnarlynick2072

Has an entire Factory rear AC set up out of a Saudi rig he might want to sell. Ask him.

yup I’ll be looking to sell the entire install and wiring once I tear my truck apart, won’t sell the switch separate :)

yup I’ll be looking to sell the entire install and wiring once I tear my truck apart, won’t sell the switch separate :)
Thanks for the heads up. I would be reluctant to purchase the whole thing since I don’t need the rest of the parts. If you end up parting it please let me know.

Thanks for the heads up. I would be reluctant to purchase the whole thing since I don’t need the rest of the parts. If you end up parting it please let me know.
Check Partsouq for availability.

Just came across this thread looking for some answers to an issue with my ice box center console. Maybe somebody here knows.

I also had the rear AC apart today too fixing something small. Anyone know if that rear unit is supposed to turn on the compressor on it’s own? Or does in rely on the dash AC to do that, which is the case with mine. Same question about the ice box center console, does it turn on the compressor on its own? Mine switches on and I hear the fan running but does not get cold, even with the compressor running and while the front and rear ac do get cold. Other then switching on the fan how do the COOL and ICE switches work? What are mine not doing, since I’m sure there is freon in the lines but I’m still not getting cold? Some electrical circuit is not being made I believe.

Attac
95FC8B68-0A22-41E7-BE24-BCC8ACC468C5.jpeg
96461238-1AB8-411E-A967-194C46264B0F.jpeg
53FDA365-422F-46BF-9DE2-DC9AF47AADD1.jpeg
4361A7A4-9879-4C98-963D-728236FD45EA.jpeg
74D77AF9-6C72-448D-9D96-4970046A97BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi. Rear AC should work on his own. Under hood here is magnetic valve that get 12v while front AC or cold box is ON and let freon go to front units (AC, fridge) if the magnetic valve does not receive 12v then it will not cool front units but the rear AC will work (kind of ancestors dual-zone AC control) Did u retrofit your AC system? Or it's originally, I beg your fridge thermostatic expansion valve is gone in two way it prevents freon from entering the evaporator or it get over freezing cuz spring and diaphragm does not adjust the correct amount of freon feed, cuz... 🤓 capillar tube is empty or week

Ice mode- it's for making ice for your :beer: or cola, do you have original ice box-maker?;)
Cool mode- it's just for a keeping sausages cold at hot summer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom