91 Delete rear heat AND plumb into a/c? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just what the title says. Can it be done? Has anyone done it?
Not with the original rear heating core. It would have to be replaced with an A/C unit that's plumbed somehow to the A/C system. And being that it's on the floor, it wouldn't be very efficient, since cold air settles (opposite of hot air). Most OEM rear A/C systems use higher mounted ducts. If you're looking to increase your A/C capacity, maybe it needs recharged or some other repair. The A/C on my '94 kept my family of 5 cool on a trip through So.Cal. in August several yrs ago. Matter of fact kids in the 3rd row were complaining "Turn down the A/C, it's too cold!" Outside ambients were 100*F plus.

Sorry. What I was asking was doing the rear heat delete and just running tubing or whatever to existing a/c vent lines for some air in the back where the heat is normally.

A/C works pretty good. Just wanting some more direct air on my doggo.

This is what the circuit looks like:
1696709279097.png

There are discharges to the front seat area. You'd have to loose some front passenger seat footroom in order to run a new duct to the rear. There's no room in the console, although there's a vent in the lower rear end, connected to the rear hear blower. However, as I said, there's no room to connect that duct to a duct in the front area, unless it was about 1/2-inch wide and and inch tall. And then you'd only feel it if you were on the floor, behind the console.

This is what the circuit looks like:
View attachment 3449815
There are discharges to the front seat area. You'd have to loose some front passenger seat footroom in order to run a new duct to the rear. There's no room in the console, although there's a vent in the lower rear end, connected to the rear hear blower. However, as I said, there's no room to connect that duct to a duct in the front area, unless it was about 1/2-inch wide and and inch tall. And then you'd only feel it if you were on the floor, behind the console.
Thank you, man. I have the Delta console so maybe a little more room but I see your point.

It could be done, there are a few ducts under the lower dash area...
1696711038205.png

Maybe you could open a new hole in the rear face of 55087...it's on the corner at the passenger side, near the console.

My 91 sends an awful lot of cold air to the rear if you direct the center dash vents right between the two front seats. Where's your dog ride? Second row or all the way in the back?

You have A/C?
What more could one want?

Doggo has built-in A/C.
Trust the science.

@CJF Colt rides in the back seat. Usually leaning against a door. (German Shepherd) I didn't have a temp on my a/c. It's cold enough that it's uncomfortable for me if it's blowing directly on me. And it blows hard.

@LandLocked93 True but I live in Mexico. Daily exterior temps are 90-100.

To all: Maybe just my retired ass looking for something to do since the heat is NEVER used. Probably just leave it alone. But if I try to engineer something, I'll do a write up. Thanks for all the input and a special thanks to @Malleus for the schematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom