Real Time Help Needed..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow Cruiserhead and Hatemudder, Johnkappus, is in Colorado en route to Ohio with his, new to him, '89 - 60 series.

As the trip progressed John found that the knuckle seals are deteriorated. :frown: You know the deal - grease/oil combo spraying everywhere!

Can he limp home like this? Or is there a chance for a major seizure? Could he add grease periodically to the knuckle, keep oiling the center diff and be fine for the next 1500 miles?

Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated. Also a little concerned about brakes with the grease coming out as it is and wiil continue to do without new seals.

He will be in Denver today at some point. He's driven from Washington to Colorado without issue. Found the leaky seals in Utah. Now what? Still needs to get to Ohio ASAP.

Thanks, Tom

The knuckle bearings/wheel bearings should be amply lubed.

Fill the diff and drive home.

I would jack up the front end to see if anything is loose.
Inner seals don't typically die that quickly. There usually is a lot of warning..

I would.....if in a 'really need to' situation.

Pump grease into to 'plug' on knuckle housing; fill diff and keep on trucken.
- with front wheels unlock, birfs are under noload - don't need grease
- knuckle bearings will survive in 90 wt.
- grease acting to hold back diff juice....

Stop & do it again until I'm there....

....wouldn't get lost either,,,just follow drips in reverse :)

Thanks MACE and SOGGY60 - passed on your responces. He should be hitting an Auto Zone or NAPA shortly!! I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

There's a whole lotta folks out there driving every day with this leak. Shouldn't be catastrophic, just keep everything lubed like the other guys said. I wouldn't have a problem with doing it.

Put it in 2wd and don't worry about it until you get home.

I'm about an hour north of Denver, if he needs a place to stop. Or a place to get a better look at everything.

PM me if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom