Ready to pull the trigger but first... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is the resto 'everything back to factory' route, and there is the customize route. But, a 'customizing' restore is not a restore. If it's being represented as such, then probably there are things hiding.

Rolling the odometer is not an issue, my state has a check box on the title stating the represented mileage is not accurate.

Odometer Fraud | DMV.ORG

Rolling the odometer might not be an issue. Again, it depends on the disclosure. If the paperwork isn't in order and they are advertising and selling it as lower than actual mileage, it's a felony. "Restoring" the vehicle doesn't let you just start over at zero. I don't know whether they're being legit about the actual mileage on this particular sale, so this is just for the sake of clarity and future readers. Maybe this shop is being more upfront when you actually negotiate the sale and get into the paperwork, but generally, putting a false actual mileage on the online ad could be seen as fraudulent, or at least a red flag about the ethics of the dealer.

Odometer Fraud | DMV.ORG

Rolling the odometer might not be an issue. Again, it depends on the disclosure. If the paperwork isn't in order and they are advertising and selling it as lower than actual mileage, it's a felony. "Restoring" the vehicle doesn't let you just start over at zero. I don't know whether they're being legit about the actual mileage on this particular sale, so this is just for the sake of clarity and future readers. Maybe this shop is being more upfront when you actually negotiate the sale and get into the paperwork, but generally, putting a false actual mileage on the online ad could be seen as fraudulent, or at least a red flag about the ethics of the dealer.

I believe you are in a grey area. If some restores a vehicle , which always means replacing parts and nuts and bolts, it basically is starting over a new life. Maybe even better than the factory at zero miles. Also, if the speedo and odo are replaced, all is in harmony. Now, did the vehicle have XXXX miles on it BRFORE restore, yes. But those miles are meaningless because mileage is a factor in wear and tear on parts. The restorer replaced all of those so to me it would be deceiving someone to believe there thousand's of miles on a new engine. It is not the truth. I do believe this fraud is more meant for newer cars because they can be really misrepresented.

But those miles are meaningless because mileage is a factor in wear and tear on parts.

This is absolutely not true, and illustrates the ignorance of this whole process that many people have. This is exactly the reason for the concept of "buyer beware." I mean no disrespect, and it truly doesn't sound like you would be intentionally trying to trick people, but your reasoning is seriously flawed.

Simply, you aren't selling a bunch of parts. If you were, then by all means, throw up an engine on CL and tell the buyer it has XXX miles after a rebuild. Selling a vehicle isn't the same. The statement that the miles are meaningless after you replace a bunch of worn out parts is nonsense. The miles on the frame mean something. The miles on the springs mean something. The miles on the axles mean something. Even properly restored, metal fatigues over time. Rust removed was once valuable metal that the engineers once found important to include. Cylinder wall that has been shaved off changes things. I could go on, but you get the point.

Advertising a 40+ year-old vehicle as having 19,000 miles on it when it really has 119,000 (or even 219,000) just because a shop has replaced a bunch of wear items, some nuts and bolts, and freshened up the paint is disingenuous at best, and felony-level fraud at worst. This isn't a grey area. It is a serious issue in the sale of vintage vehicles that too many people don't take seriously enough.

I did a complete restoration. Every nut and bolt. Some components, like steering box/damper can only rebuilt to the extent that the parts are available. So, there is no way to completely eliminate the wear of 100K or more miles as said before. When I restored my dash cluster, it was showing 1200 miles. I thought about resetting it, but decided that wasnt right and 1200 was close enough for for me to remember.

I am sure it is hard to make money restoring cars if you do them to a very high level. I will never get out what i have in my rig, but that wasn't the point of the restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom