Readily available rear bumpers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good news! I'm finally in a position to get a new rear bumper and move my spare so I stop dragging my @ss all over any reasonably sized ledge!

Bad news! Nobody I've come across seems to have any rear bumpers in stock. I wanted to get one from Mike at BIOR, in part because I hear great things, in part because I don't live too far away from him and I like supporting local businesses, and in part because it would reduce shipping costs. Trouble is his estimated lead time at the moment means I wouldn't be able to wheel with the bumper until fall. Slee also checks the "positive" boxes mentioned above, and is out of stock of both their own bumper and the ARB. Everyone else I've looked at is a 3+ month lead time.

Is anyone here aware of a rear bumper provider with a quality bumper in stock? I'm pretty flexible on options as long is it's got a receiver for towing and can mount my spare. Maybe I just haven't been looking in the right place.

Otherwise I go down the "build it myself" (probably from a 4x4labs kit) route, take half the summer to get it done, and have to hear "you should have just bought one and been patient" from the wife when I'm stuck in the garage under a welding hood and all I want to do is get out on the trail.

Sounds like you already know you will have to wait for a quality bumper. You'll likely have to wait a bit for the 4x4labs DIY as well (something something global pandemic). Coastal Offroad claims to have their DIY cut and ready to ship, but it looks a bit like the rear of a barge, ey.

I built mine in like 3 weeks I think. Working a few hours a night and a couple full Saturdays. Steel is crazy expensive right now though.

Just wheel with no bumper until you finish with the spare strapped to the roof.

If you go the pre cut kit route you should be able to get it together in like 5 days. The hardest part is the cutting and fitting when building a DIY bumper and that would have all been done for you.

My Dobinsons took about 2 months from order placed to delivery. Should take less time now as there is shipments coming in. Haven't installed it yet but everything looks nice and quality. Price is super good at $1800ish shipped for a dual swing bumper

I placed my order for the Dobinson from @crikeymike on Jan 25th and received it a couple of weeks ago. There is a huge queue of container ships at almost every port for anything coming from overseas. So the wait is inevitable. And it is just not bumpers, I am looking for a 5th KM3 and was told 2 months. The awning that I ordered from OVS has a 3-4 month turn around. Like @thebeedeegee said strap it to the roof and get to wheeling until it arrives. Keeps you from missing out on the spring runs.

So I'll start by saying this is all totally my fault. I ignored the bumper market for the last two years or so as I wasn't in a position to spend any more money than absolutely necessary. Obviously a lot changed in 2020 when I had my head down...

It does look like the Dobinsons is more-or-less readily available, but with using the factory hitch below the bumper I don't gain any clearance past what I would if I just threw the spare on the roof. I guess I'm slightly more picky than I originally stated.

I got super stoked when yesterday afternoon I got an email that Slee had the read bumper back in stock! But by the time I was able to get home and get permission from SWMBO to drop that kind of coin, they had sold out again. Ugh. At this point I've come to terms with the fact that I'll just get a little more time under the welding hood before I can hit the trails with a new bumper. I suppose I could always use more practice, anyways.

So thanks for the help! I'll let y'all know how it goes!

So I'll start by saying this is all totally my fault. I ignored the bumper market for the last two years or so as I wasn't in a position to spend any more money than absolutely necessary. Obviously a lot changed in 2020 when I had my head down...

It does look like the Dobinsons is more-or-less readily available, but with using the factory hitch below the bumper I don't gain any clearance past what I would if I just threw the spare on the roof. I guess I'm slightly more picky than I originally stated.

I got super stoked when yesterday afternoon I got an email that Slee had the read bumper back in stock! But by the time I was able to get home and get permission from SWMBO to drop that kind of coin, they had sold out again. Ugh. At this point I've come to terms with the fact that I'll just get a little more time under the welding hood before I can hit the trails with a new bumper. I suppose I could always use more practice, anyways.

So thanks for the help! I'll let y'all know how it goes!
Try Bump It Offroad in Windsor(if you haven't found a bumper) as they built our rear bumper and it is solid

Try Bump It Offroad in Windsor(if you haven't found a bumper) as they built our rear bumper and it is solid
He was the first one I called! Unfortunately he was pretty backed up. Ended up getting front and rear kits from 4x4labs, which arrived end of last week. Hoping to start the install process this weekend!
PXL_20210630_204221429.jpg

I was just about to come in here and say that I went with 4x4 labs kit and had a local welder help me get it all together. i was there every step of the way and did all the cutting/prepping myself to save money/time. basically just told him ''ok weld here, here, here...and here..''

Theres a 4x4 labs diy support group thread on here if you can dig it up. lots of really good tips in there for people that have done the diy 100 series bumper.

here is the thread that a mud member started which i think will help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom