Alibaba Bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I disagree where we say steel is steel
Fair, I may have over generalized thinking about bumper steel. There are differences, you have a very good point. However, is the steel being used in aftermarket bumpers that much different? I can imagine yes, but maybe not as big of a difference as I think?

Screenshot_20231005_151320_Chrome.jpg

That's for shipping to Idaho.

That is not the same bumper.
They use that same image for the "rear bumper" for like 14 vehicles. Chances seem very slim that the picture actually shows the product you'd receive. 13/14 are wrong, at least, lol.

I tried. It was a challenge to get a quotation with shipping fee. I quit as a reminder after a while.

That's surprising. I chatted with someone that knew Mike at least as an acquaintance and said it sounded like it was very much a "side gig" kinda deal these days. I liked my BIOR rear.

Did you reach out to Slee or Dissent? I think you can buy those purely online. No need to wait around for someone to send you special quotes.

Steel is steel, quality welds are welds. I'm sure it will be fine. However, structural integrity and how these are braced internally is a major risk. I'm betting they will be fine with 9-5 duty, however expect the swing outs to potentially begin to rattle and stress cracks form. If you off road hard, I would ensure you leave plenty of gap between the bumper and the body for them to flex. Saving $1,000 on a bumper might come with incurring thousands of dollars of body damage when they flex into the quarter panel.

Edit: I found the listing. I would 100000% not buy this. The departure angle, design, etc looks like garbage. The bumper probably flexes when you open the swing out. Take a look at the wing design lol

View attachment 3447790
Steel strength varies greatly.

Even in the "high quality American steel" category you can go from "mild steel" at 36kpsi to A572 at 50kpsi. Chromoly is 120kpsi.

I'd wager some benajmins the steel on that Alibaba bumper is either thin, below 36kpsi or both.

The point of a bumper is to protect body work and carry a very heavy spare tire in a cantilevered position over harsh terrain. The price for failure is very high. No idea why anyone would roll the dice on such a cheaply made thing.

Even the good American bumper makers have seen some spindle failures where the spare tire bounced down the highway into traffic. It's a very high stress assembly and a slightly bad batch or the wrong material can be catastrophic. I'd love to see the failure rates on these no-name Chinese ones...

They use that same image for the "rear bumper" for like 14 vehicles. Chances seem very slim that the picture actually shows the product you'd receive. 13/14 are wrong, at least, lol.

Steel strength varies greatly.

Even in the "high quality American steel" category you can go from "mild steel" at 36kpsi to A572 at 50kpsi. Chromoly is 120kpsi.

I'd wager some benajmins the steel on that Alibaba bumper is either thin, below 36kpsi or both.

The point of a bumper is to protect body work and carry a very heavy spare tire in a cantilevered position over harsh terrain. The price for failure is very high. No idea why anyone would roll the dice on such a cheaply made thing.

Even the good American bumper makers have seen some spindle failures where the spare tire bounced down the highway into traffic. It's a very high stress assembly and a slightly bad batch or the wrong material can be catastrophic. I'd love to see the failure rates on these no-name Chinese ones...

"Product May Vary From Images"...lol

Great info on steel. I know they have different kpsi, and several other variances. I'm on the collision side of the automotive industry and can attest that the same looking product, different quality can be life or death. That being said, I think I may have under estimated the attention to quality that the US manufactures have. I'm certainly not grouping Slee, Dissent, BIOR, etc into the Alibaba group. I'm with you on the quality of the steel. May have not been thinking right on my earlier post.

yup, would not be good to lose a part of that -especially a heavy offroad tire- on the freeway

Not sure which one you look at. I have pictures of the bumper and installed pictures of the bumper from the seller, for the bumper I ordered.

That's surprising. I chatted with someone that knew Mike at least as an acquaintance and said it sounded like it was very much a "side gig" kinda deal these days. I liked my BIOR rear.
I like BIOR rear bumper too.

Did you reach out to Slee or Dissent? I think you can buy those purely online. No need to wait around for someone to send you special quotes.
Negative.

Carry a heavy spare tire has never been my goal. I had 2 rear bumpers in the past, one didn't have spare tire carrier, second one had spare tire carrier but I had it removed. I don't plan to use the tire carrier much on this one. I wish they have a bumper with no carrier. I know this bumper will protect my vehicle better than the current plastic cover. It will work for me but not for the hard core wheelers in this forum.

Not sure which one you look at. I have pictures of the bumper and installed pictures of the bumper from the seller, for the bumper I ordered.

I like BIOR rear bumper too.

Negative.

Carry a heavy spare tire has never been my goal. I had 2 rear bumpers in the past, one didn't have spare tire carrier, second one had spare tire carrier but I had it removed. I don't plan to use the tire carrier much on this one. I wish they have a bumper with no carrier. I know this bumper will protect my vehicle better than the current plastic cover. It will work for me but not for the hard core wheelers in this forum.
I assume we're talking about the one in this thread.

Hilux Vigo:
1696638190166.png

Patrol:
1696638289708.png

One size fits all, apparently:
1696638541840.png

Patrol 61:
1696638641024.png

yup, would not be good to lose a part of that -especially a heavy offroad tire- on the freeway
Plus loosing a Jerry can with 5gallon of gas can be catastrophic for the car behind you on the freeway. Then an insurance nightmare.

I highly recommend Valleytech. Garret’s rear bumper is awesome. I’ll eventually get around to posting an install and review thread, but I’m very pleased with quality, durability, and function. The price is competitive with other US fabricators, and I had it shipped in just over two months.

IMG_7407.jpeg

Swing out design is the same in the other images, can’t imagine a massive variation in bumper design here. Alibaba is known to show products for other vehicles. I’d be curious to see the actual listing the OP pictured.

Still zero pictures of inside, or any details of the unit.

The one you linked is the same one I found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom