Read a lot now need some pics please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cascadeclimbs.com
I have read many threads on which lift to buy in here for my stock 1977 FJ40 and now that I have selected with my budget going with a TPI Smokey mountain suspension lift kit I need to decide on a 2-1/2" or 4". It's mostly a weekend rig with some 4 wheelin fun once in a while and not any rock crawling so far. Deep ruts and hills out here in Oregon with mud. I recently bought BFG's MT 33X12.5's but have not installed them yet as I am still at stock height. Although they fit anyway as is but I'm sure going off road will rub. Please enter some of your FJ40 rigs pictures with 2-1/2" and 4" lifts so I can see how they look, no SOA for me right now though. Yes I've found some pics already but with limited info about them like lift height and tire size of the rig shown.

Thanks!

4" Skyjacker w/ fender cutouts and 33's...
side01.jpg
front02.jpg

Last edited:
I will throw a wrench in your plans and see if you considered the Dakar springs by old man emu. They just hit the states and could be your best price/value alternative. I would go with 4" but then you may be forced to go with larger tires if you are 31" or below.

Alf

31's and 2.5" OME

Here is 2.5" OME with 31's.

alf
2.5 OME w 31s.jpg

Nice!

Very nice looking rig DomSmith! Do you find the lift too high at all getting in and out? I like the look a lot, are those 12.50 width tires? Mine has Bushwacker fenders installed and appear to have been cutout as well. How do you like the Skyjacker ride? I have read some that didn't like it much but that goes for all lifts-good and bad writeups.

Thanks Pwelco- I don't have a problem getting in and out at all. I kept the stock side steps (along with the front cage to grab) which makes it easy. The ride is stiffer than stock but not bad at all. I have ridden in some seriously rough rigs and mine is not. Although this is not my daily driver so I can put up with a bit of bump. I do drive it 100+ miles now and again and it's fine. I did have a slight sag almost immediately after install but it seems to have subsided and I think it was due to shackle bolt tightness. The tires are BFG MT 33x12.5x15 and I like them as well. They are stiffer than the AT's I just replaced but not any noisier so it seems. Good luck.

alf said:
Here is 2.5" OME with 31's.

alf
Looks good Alf, I assume you like the ride as OME has been listed many times as the best out there, at least the most expensive. How long has the lift been installed and do you still like the height?

2.5 ome

I drove it for 6 months with the OME and it was just fine. A little stiff as it had not been flexed very much. And I did not have an ideal rear shackle position.

I then tore the entire truck down to the frame about 2 years ago and I am about finished. I kept the springs but went with a shackle reversal in the front and a body lift. I cut the tub off as it was a rust bucket and got a 3/4 aqualu tub. Here is a pic as it sits now.

I am trying to finish by late April.

alf
side view.jpg

Last edited:
4" Looking good

The 4" kits are looking pretty good to me. Keep the pictures coming though. Can you fill me in on the items of concern with 4" though too? Longer brake lines, shims for front axle alignment, longer drive shafts? Seems a 2-1/2" avoids those issues.
Thanks!

Here is my cruiser with the 4 inch bds susp lift and 35 inch swampers.
DSC00680small.jpg

Oh and about your questions. You should install longer brake lines. I bought the skyjacker extended stainless steel braded ones. 50.00 per axel. But you could go with cheaper ones if you want. I have had no problems with the driveshafts, or axel alignment. I am going to install 3 inch lift shackles though and thats when I am going to have to mess with shims.

4" skyjackers (first generation), advanced handling kit, 2 1/2 rears, 33" bfgs
lemon2.jpg

I don't have a pic of a 40 but, I put a shackle reversal on my 45 and wouldn't ever think not to again.
The ride is awesome and handles better on the rough stuff.

The 4 inch seems to be pretty popular if you want to run the big meats. But for those of us who choose to remain somewhat conservative and retain a semi-stock look - here's a pic of mine with the recently installed 2.5 OME Dakkar springs, OME shocks, & greasable tri-shackles. I posted a similar pic on another thread yesterday - but it shows the look of the lift pretty well. Big improvement in ride and handling over stock springs. Still running 31" BFG AT's, but I have a spare set of new 33" BFG AT's that I may try out at some point.

Last edited:
here is my junk with 4" skyjacker, cut rear quarters and 33x12.5 TSL radials.

An extended rear brake line is the only one completely necessary. You can double up lines too. (ie buy another stocker from napa and just screw them together).

2 degree front shims will correct caster for skyjacker lift. (not necessary for all, more correction necessary for others).

Nothing else is necessary to run this lift...

4lift.jpg

2.5 inch OME, custom U Bolt flip kit, 33X9.50 skinnies on stock rims powdercoated grey. Am I cool or what? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom