Radiator Tank Hose Nipple (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good luck /bad luck today. Yesterday as my daughter in law was backing the 96 80 out in 4 degree weather, the power steering went away. Luckily it was the cooler return hose which I was able to replace with a 3/8 hydralic hose. In the process of standing on my head and pushing on the undersized hose, I heard something snap. My elbow had pushed against the small hose connection on top of the radiator tank and the plastic nipple broke off. Went to a radiator shop to see if they had any experience with repair and they tried to sell me a new radiator . This one is only 3 years old. I have tried to glue the nipple with two part epoxy and then reinforced the connection with HT RTV. Letting it set up overnight to cure. Do you think this hold against pressure? Very small flow through this line which is about 1/8 inch ID. Any other suggestions?

Where do we find the brass nipple, what type/size, and what type sealant??

Bit the bullet yesterday and put in a new radiator. Afraid my fix would let go at the worst possible time. Evidently I am not the first dummy to break this thing off. New radiator job too about 3 1/2 hrs. Got the hidden nuts out without taking out the headlights but wasted a lot of time trying to get them back on. Ended up removing headlights anyway. Lesson learned. Be careful with your nipples.

Reactions: KTP
Nipple guard..... could have prevented needing a new rad.

How is the guard attached to the radiator?

Nipple guard..... could have prevented needing a new rad.

I often find 3d printed stuff is brittle, is this strong enough to not snap if you supported yourself on it accidentally?

How is the guard attached to the radiator?

The guard is captured by the Fan shroud bolt and Double sided tape ( I think the hood also holds it in place. also). I have had mine installed with out the tape and have not been able to loose it yet..

I often find 3d printed stuff is brittle, is this strong enough to not snap if you supported yourself on it accidentally?

I print with PETG, you may be used to parts made from PLA. The PETG is much more durable and heat resistant.

If you get it and think its brittle, I'll give you a refund....

It is beefy thick. I have leaned my body weight on it a few times and it doesn't flex or move. Top notch solution.

Niple Guard 2.jpg

I broke mine years ago, when changing spark plugs. I tapped it and threw a brass thread x barb fitting on it and it lasted about 10 years until the upper part of the radiator finally gave up and got a whole replacement. Of anyone in the future reads this, dont hesitate to use it as a fix. Way cheaper than a new radiator as long as yours is in good condition otherwise.

The guard is captured by the Fan shroud bolt and Double sided tape ( I think the hood also holds it in place. also). I have had mine installed with out the tape and have not been able to loose it yet..

I print with PETG, you may be used to parts made from PLA. The PETG is much more durable and heat resistant.

If you get it and think its brittle, I'll give you a refund....

Do you have to keep using 3m tape when you have to remove the nipple guard to remove that water bypass hose? I don’t see a way to remove the hose clamp without removing the nipple protector.

Do you have to keep using 3m tape when you have to remove the nipple guard to remove that water bypass hose? I don’t see a way to remove the hose clamp without removing the nipple protector.
In reality, you probably don;t even need a hose clamp there.

I just discovered last week that the other end of that hose on my truck had the hose clamp back 2" from the nipple on the head and it has been that way for 6 years and 81K miles.

I have been using mine with out the Double sided tape.... for testing purposes.. and have had no issues..

Just install mine and already saved my Nipple several times as lean over finishing rebuilding my motor. My Nipple thanks you..it can be sensitive sometimes....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom