Broke radiator nipple, ugh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been super careful and made it through a valve cover gasket R&R, intake R&R, Plenum R&R, IAC repairs, radiator hose replacements, belt swaps, water pump R&R, etc. and thought I'd succeeded in avoiding the fate of my past 80's and didn't break the dang nipple on the radiator. Then last night I was removing the alternator (think my bearings are shot) and snap... Frack. Many expletives $%^&*().

I tried to drill, tap and steel epoxy a brass nipple, but I'm not happy with the janky repair.

New Koyorad radiator and SolveFunction nipple protector inbound... Lets see if Amazon robots or delivery people can get it to me undamaged...

If you haven't already bought one, the SolveFunction nipple protector seems like a good purchase. Well worth $24 if it dodges a radiator replacement. I ordered one last night. Nipple guard for FJ80/FZJ80 Landcruiser or LX450 - https://solvefunction.com/shop/ols/products/150053325-nipple-guard-for-fj80-fzj80-landcruiser-or-lx450

Any other tips or tricks for radiator removal? I'm off to the FSM to research it now.

I use wobble sockets to get the bolts through the grill or remove it. Pretty simple job. Might think about replacing the rubber hose that connects to the nipple and the other two aft of it, think they are called water hose 1,2,3. One starts next to the phh and up to throttle body, then next one other end of throttle then the one you broke

Ugh. Pegged my shop profanity meter breaking my nipple when I KNEW it was potential concern. Was perched on engine, lost balance, next thing I know ordering new radiator and SolveFunction nipple guard.

I have a perfectly good radiator, sans bypass nipple, sittign on my shlef. And a broken plastic tube sitting on my desk to remind me how much I hate this design. That's why I put a metal CSF in my other 80 when it need a new headgasket.

I use wobble sockets to get the bolts through the grill or remove it. Pretty simple job. Might think about replacing the rubber hose that connects to the nipple and the other two aft of it, think they are called water hose 1,2,3. One starts next to the phh and up to throttle body, then next one other end of throttle then the one you broke
Thanks.

I just ordered the hose for the one I broke.

Now all of my coolant lines are new!

I recently removed and capped those other two (throttle body coolant lines).

Removing the radiator is almost too easy, but I did take out the grille and removed the headlights.

I kind of wish I waited to do the water pump and alternator since there are a lot of the same things being removed and access is a lot better without the radiator there. Oh well, I didn't know I was going to be doing a radiator so soon...

I'm also glad I'm still running distilled water and flushing out green coolant. I'd hate to waste this much Toyota red. Wasting $1.50 a gallon water is better than $$$ Toyota coolant.

If i remember right one of our mud members/vendors makes a really neat sheet metal guard that bolts over the top of that nipple and protects it so you can't break it off

Last edited:
Thank you. I ordered the SolveFunction protector as soon as I came in from the garage after breaking the nipple. Too late to save me that time, but maybe it will help prevent me from doing that again.

If i remember right one of our mud members/vendors makes a really neat sheet metal guard that bolts over the top of that nipple and protects it so you can't break it off

People really buy those metal ones?

Heck, I can cut so many out from all my scrap metal.

New Koyorad arrived undamaged from Amazon (via a third party seller). Miracles do happen!

Thank you. I ordered the SolveFunction protector as soon as I came in from the garage after breaking the nipple. Too late to save me that time, but maybe it will help prevent me from doing that again.
Only problem with the Solve Function unit is that the glue pad that fastens it to the tank is wasted whenever you need to gain access to that hose fitting for removal. I used the S F unit for several years but after needing to remove it once I have yet to figure out a way to replace it securely.

Can't you just replace whatever they use with the heavy duty 3M double sided VHB tape?

Radiator replaced, new upper hose, filled with distilled water (still flushing out old green coolant residue), all is good with the world. My solve function protector should be here any day and all should be good with the world again. :)

Can't you just replace whatever they use with the heavy duty 3M double sided VHB tape?
Yea, could. Gotta figure out how to clean the old crap off. Whatever it is, it is strong. Wish I knew.

Yea, could. Gotta figure out how to clean the old crap off. Whatever it is, it is strong. Wish I knew.
Will Brakleen cut the VHB?

Will Brakleen cut the VHB?
Gotta find the damned part! It's been migrating around the shop for a while. It's tuff when you have 4 mechanics working in the same space!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom