Radiator repair or replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My radiator is leaking along the top seam. It's plastic. Would it be possible to repair it in some way? Even temporarily? My 93 is my only transportation and I need to get it running again quickly. A friend of a friend has a different year 80 series that they are pulling parts from. I think it's a 91 or 92. Would a radiator from that year be compatible with my truck? Any other years besides 93-94?

If it were me, I would just go ahead and replace it and not have to worry about it. If it needed to be fixed right away and get back on the road then fix it and go ahead and buy a new one or replace it. I think the only difference between the 91-92 and the newer ones is that the 91-92 is metal instead of plastic. Don't hold me on it though, would like to get another opinion on it just to make sure about that.

A new Koyo radiator is like $170...

Exactly. And if you can change a tire you can remove and replace a radiator. It isn't hard to do. A few very basic tools are all that is needed.

riiiiight :love:

Green or Red never both... And if you are in a warm climate consider moving closer to a 15/85 mix of coolant/distilled water. h2o has about 1.5x the cooling capacity compared to coolant, so it will help you run a bit safer. We keep at least 15% coolant in the system for lubrication and anti-corrosion properties.

If you end up going towards a 15/85 mix and want some style points add some water wetter (unless you are using toyota red, then don't). It does increase the cooling capacity of the coolant, not as much as the bottle claims but every bit counts right?

Amazon has TYC for about $125. Bunch of us run them here in Phoenix deserts with no problem. About the best cooling capacity we have found so far. The 91-92 is for a 3fe motor, kinda different from your 1fz. Not compatable.

If you want OEM, I got a new rad from here Radiator - Toyota (16400-66040) | Boch Toyota South

Currently $303 for a new rad not including shipping. If you prefer OEM you may be able to use this, or similar online pricing, to negotiate a better price locally. Many good choices other than OEM as previously mentioned if you want to save a few $. HTH.

I just got a quote from the shop. $617 That's a lot for me right now.:frown:
If its your DD then buy a new one and replace it its not that hard takes a couple hours and its gold to know how to repair your own LC. jmo

I personally really like water wetter. Back when I was a younger and even poorer man, the radiator in my FJ40 was marginal. I could not afford a new radiator. Put in some water wetter. Lowered my temps right up. Ran it that way for 6 months, including summer, while I saved up for a new radiator. Now I always add a bottle to any rig when I do a flush.

Thanks everyone! I tried ordering one from Amazon which turned into a disaster, thanks to UPS. Ended up getting one from Autozone and installing it with help from a friend and great instructions from a thread here on MUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom