Question about exhaust: what else do I need? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I blew a hole out of my O2 sensor connection, got real loud, and kinda stinky in the cab. I took it to my exhaust shop guy to see what kind of magic he can work, and he says the previous owner has hacked on it quite a bit and I pretty much need to replace the whole exhaust. He told me to get the parts and he'd put 'em in there.

I love the OTRAMM stainless setup, but $$$ damn.

So here's what I'm thinking:

the Magnaflow y-pipe MagnaFlow HM Grade Federal / EPA Compliant Direct-Fit Catalytic Conver

the Borla 14590 cat back 1995-1997 Toyota - Land Cruiser / Cat Back / Touring

Do I also need the Magnaflow second cat to make it fit together? MagnaFlow HM Grade Federal / EPA Compliant Direct-Fit Catalytic Conver

I'm hoping someone else had already gone this route. It appears to be all stainless, maybe not over the frame like I'd like, but I don't really have the opportunities to wheel it like that anyway. The hangers appear to be intact, though very ugly. Anything else I might need, or a better idea?

Those headers are purdy... but the exhaust manifolds don't need replacing.

I don't have to care about emissions here. I just want it to fit together and not smell like rotten eggs. Oh yeah, and the whole environment thing I guess. If it will fit together without a $273 second cat, I'll gladly skip it.

The muffler shop guy said the rear pipe is the only good thing on it, but the little tail pipe is gone and the little muffler in the back is kind of bashed in.

Read this one as well as most of the rest of the thread.....

You'll need something to go between the magnaflow y pipe and the cat back. The 2nd cat fills that hole perfectly, as it's designed to. You could also have an exhaust shop make a straight pipe to fit that spot and just run the single cat that's built into the y pipe. But yes, you'll need to put something there between the y pipe and the catback.

You'll need something to go between the magnaflow y pipe and the cat back. The 2nd cat fills that hole perfectly, as it's designed to. You could also have an exhaust shop make a straight pipe to fit that spot and just run the single cat that's built into the y pipe. But yes, you'll need to put something there between the y pipe and the catback.

Thank you, exactly what I was wanting to know.

Read this one as well as most of the rest of the thread.....

That first thread you quoted was pretty disheartening... so I'm fairly likely to get a crappy(er) Bosal part in a Magnaflow box, even if I get it directly from Magnaflow's wesite...

That first thread you quoted was pretty disheartening... so I'm fairly likely to get a crappy(er) Bosal part in a Magnaflow box, even if I get it directly from Magnaflow's wesite...
I bought (3) from O'Reilly's and got Magnaflow every time. I chose to get them locally so I didn't have to fight the return issue.

I bought (3) from O'Reilly's and got Magnaflow every time. I chose to get them locally so I didn't have to fight the return issue.

Sweet. There's an O'Reilly not far from here, and about the same price.

Sweet. There's an O'Reilly not far from here, and about the same price.
I bought (3) of them because I needed to use one, I wanted another to hoard, and a third in case one of the other two was poor quality. I did need to run a drill bit through the O2 sensor holes to clear out the weld BB's.

I went with an OBX racing stainless steel muffler and resonator.

Added a new high flow cat. All aluminized piping from the Y all the way out, along with a new o2 sensor (one was cracked and leaking) all new hangars.

My exhaust guy did a great job.

My ish is quiet. I had a magnaflow on it prior but it was just too loud for my liking.

I have installed the borla and second cat frim magnaflow last weekend. Used my magnaflow y pipe that I replaced a few years ago and it turned out fine. I had to cut the exhaust tip for the borla since I had a 4x4 labs rear bumper. I wanted the otramm exhaust kit but it was out of my budget. I also ordered oem nuts , bolts, oem exhaust gaskets from the manifold to the y pipe and ones used before and after the cats. The borla exhaust has a flat gasket that goes between the muffler to the rear tail pipe. While I was in there I replaced my o2 sensors and globbed my hardware with never sieze. I did everything myself in about 6 hours but thats with cleaning up the hangers and replacing the small nuts. The borla does loop over the frame and comes down after the rear axel. I'll post a pic tomorrow showing how it goes over the frame.

20201205_101506.jpg

The Bosal / Magnaflow issue seems to be dead and no longer a concern. Order Magnaflow and you get Magnaflow.

Im in the same boat as OP and doing Magnaflow y pipe and bosal version of the Borla option you suggest. It’s like $150 vs the borla $600 or whatever.

So single cat with Magnaflow y pipe on my 96. Then local exhaust shop bends pipe OVER the frame to the bosal muffler and tailpipe.

i think this is it but will verify tomorrow.

I have installed the borla and second cat frim magnaflow last weekend. Used my magnaflow y pipe that I replaced a few years ago and it turned out fine. I had to cut the exhaust tip for the borla since I had a 4x4 labs rear bumper. I wanted the otramm exhaust kit but it was out of my budget. I also ordered oem nuts , bolts, oem exhaust gaskets from the manifold to the y pipe and ones used before and after the cats. The borla exhaust has a flat gasket that goes between the muffler to the rear tail pipe. While I was in there I replaced my o2 sensors and globbed my hardware with never sieze. I did everything myself in about 6 hours but thats with cleaning up the hangers and replacing the small nuts. The borla does loop over the frame and comes down after the rear axel. I'll post a pic tomorrow showing how it goes over the frame.

View attachment 2521373
Got that pic? Curios to see how it goes over the frame. Do you have sliders?

The Bosal / Magnaflow issue seems to be dead and no longer a concern. Order Magnaflow and you get Magnaflow.

Agreed. I bought magnaflow and got magnaflow 8 months ago. My buddy got a magnaflow just a few weeks ago.

I had mine shipped from Auto zone so I could return to local store if needed.

Also agree on the oem gaskets. My magnaflow ones leaked within a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom