Quad Cab - 4 door coil sprung shortened troopy/extended swb build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Following ever step of this great build. Any new progress? Im looking at doing a 45/47 cab onto a vdj-- chassis. Im assuming the 1vd-ftv wont fit without widening the body or did you widen yours for some other reason?

On your vdj/45 make sure you check out the NA code in the adrs for side intrusion bars and all sorts of other wonderful things that you will have to engineer . Will cost some $$$ if you have to do intrusion bars as per the rule.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/files/ADR_Applicability_Summary-N-Group.pdf

'So, after the best part of 8 months I spent 3 days working on the 4 door thing finishing off little jobs.

Almost got all of them done, but pulled the thing down ready to send it off to panel and paint work.

Still have to work out the dash console but have that underway and a few ideas running through my mind. Need to get cracking on them as the paint guys will be onto this soon.

As it has sat for the last 8 months, minus the roof that we sent away as it had a hump in it that needed to be addressed.
IMG_6002.JPG

Various stages of bits coming off.

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

Displaying the huge 1VD-FTV engine up front. This thing is a huge engine, wider than a 502cuin big block.

IMG_6020.JPG

Looking good mate

one of my favorite threads. I was so excited to see a new post.

Cheers

one of my favorite threads. I was so excited to see a new post.

Cheers
Should be a few more posts coming along. Had a bit of work on so projects took a back seat for a bit, but work slackened off at the moment. Hopefully will have the dash console sorted this week and then nothing but panel and paint then upholstery and electrical and other fun things.

Lifted the body off the chassis today so we can chuck it on a rotisserie and tidy up the underside.

Getting close to having the body finished. The speedo surround will hopefully be laser cut by Friday so we can then sort that out. Thats the last of the 'argh-doing my head in' things but hopefully the effort will be worth it.

From now the chassis will come home for a bit so i can tidy bits and pieces up, then the panels will be off to paint.The body will get a quick sand blast to get rid of all the grim and crap that it will have accumulated over the last 3 years that it has been worked on.

Last time the chassis was off it bent in the middle as there wasn't much strength in there. This time, a lot more metal there.

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

In taking out 100mm in the rear doors I also have to shorten the rods for the door latch and door lock mechanism.

Dummy run. Came out okay

IMG_6051.JPG

Made a rough guide and then with the new handles and rod made one to go into the door once painted. Here is the rough one and the new aftermarket mechanism,

IMG_6052.JPG

Finished job. Also had to modify the lock part as well. You can see the mechanism here.

IMG_6053.JPG

Also, the winder mechanism fitted okay but the bracet on the bottom of the window had to be moved and modified due to its location relative to the edge of the door changing. Took about 50mm off and welded it onto the other end.

IMG_6054.JPG

Working on the dash clusters at the moment.

Speedo cluster has been a pain in the backside but hopefully over the hump and coasting downhill now to get it completed. Got some bits made up using a laser cutter. Looks 40ty'ish and that is what I wanted.

IMG_0317.JPG

Backside of the cluster.
IMG_0321.JPG

Center console has come up nicely and just needs a small tidy up and thats done.

IMG_0313.JPG

Chassis went off to be painted today. Exciting times ahead.

IMG_0315.JPG

Finished the speedo cluster today. Welded some machine screws to the out ring and then welded that outer ring to the front face panel. Came out quite good I reckon. The cut some acrylic to size and put a hole in there for the toggle thing to poke through. Will tear the plastic cover off the acrylic at some stage and hopefully it isn't scratched.

Wanted to keep it 40tyísh looking.

IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_6066.JPG

Really like that way.

any updates?

any updates?
No much. The body is still at the panel beaters awaiting paint. I will be calling in there next week to see when it's likely to be painted.

In the mean time I have been working away on this. Panels are now coming off as most of the work is completed and I am taking some off to the blasters today/tomorrow for blasting then another panel and paint shop for them to paint.

IMG_6809.JPG

I just found this thread and it is awesome. I am building a similar project right now, but using a 60 frame, 6bt cummins and 1 ton axles. I am trying to decide how much to widen my body. Initial thoughts was 6 inches to match the increase in axle width, but am now rethinking after seeing how good yours looks with 2 inches. What do you think about widening that much?

I just found this thread and it is awesome. I am building a similar project right now, but using a 60 frame, 6bt cummins and 1 ton axles. I am trying to decide how much to widen my body. Initial thoughts was 6 inches to match the increase in axle width, but am now rethinking after seeing how good yours looks with 2 inches. What do you think about widening that much?

Thanks. Been a very interesting journey.
I was happy with the 2" as when you look at it you would never pick it up. I have seen one with 8" and to me it looks too wide in the body with the original sized guards. I went for a happy medium, 2" body and 3" guards (I think) as down here we have to cover the wheels or else the local coppers like giving us fines and stuff.

I am doing a ute as well and had to put 4" into those guards. To me it's too much as I am not a fan of the wide guard look.

It's a lot of work to do it. Some have said why do all that for 2" but after 3" I reckon it will start to be noticed and look hummerish and I didn't want that style. So 2-3", to me is a nice happy medium. Also it allowed that huge wide engine to fit there as the steering column only just cleared the head. There is a 40 in perth, Australia with one it but I haven't seen how they got around the head with the steering column, maybe used a dog leg style and that isn't good for heavy off road

SWB with 200mm (8") in the body I think.
wide 40 1.jpg

wide 40 2.jpg

Ute with 4"wider front guards. Different use for this thing so not too concerned about the flying guard look.

IMG_7034.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom