Pygmalion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I bought my 1972 FJ55, I was clearly suffering a complete lack of creativity and thought SilverPig would be a decent name. As I've gotten to know her, she deserves a more appropriate name, thus Pygmalion.

Pygmalion is not a restoration. With an early 80's 2F, a 4 speed in place of the original 3 speed, a completely non-original interior, and a solid color paint job, that ship sailed a long time ago. I've decided to go down the path of replacing what needs replacing and upgrading what I feel like upgrading.

I want to thank a few members of the board who have made it possible to make Pygmalion a rig that will run for the next 40 years. Bob's (BobM) mastery of metal has allowed me to replace the floor pans, mounts, supports, and sills. James' (Midgainc) work on the hinges and the rear window gear replace parts that are largely unobtanium. Steve's (A1500Ram) replacement panels are a godsend. Each of these gents embody what I believe is the best part of this community and are performing a great service for everyone.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I will be posting a bunch of pics following Pygmalion through the process of repair, replacement, and upgrade. Hopefully you enjoy the ride at least half as much as I am!!

image-2030737077.jpg

Your rig looks fantastic.Nice to see the hard work pay off with an awesome finished product.Some talk about building and others get r done.:cheers:

Doors off, interior pulled. Ready for floor pan and sill removal.

image-1359814832.jpg

image-2158293648.jpg

BobM,

Looks can be deceiving but not after I'm done with it. Everyone bit of metal that you've sent me will be used and maybe then some! The base is solid but needs some TLC and a complete new interior.

BobM,

Looks can be deceiving but not after I'm done with it.

Is BobM. actually doing the metalwork? or just supplying the panels?

Looks good to me. After you get the body work done, will you repaint and if so, what colors?

I like to ask everybody that one.

I think I will leave her silver for a little while. The silver paint is relatively new and in good shape. I have a few ideas about a more original two tone color scheme for the long run but nothing firm.

The main reason I bought Pygmalion is that she had a solid core; a 2F in decent shape, a 4 speed, and a body with very little rust. The interior was a complete mess and needed new everything (seats, door panels, headliner, carpet, dash pad, etc).
Pygmalion was advertised in Wilmington, NC as a daily driver. We flew down with the idea that we would either drive her back to CT or have her shipped by a friend who runs a classic car restoration business. Upon inspection, it was clear that she was not a daily driver. She had no battery in her, a 1/32nd of a tank of gas with a broken fuel gauge (she ran out of gas on the test drive) which killed the fuel filter, weak fuel pump which had to be replaced, dead oil pressure gauge, carbs that were completely out of tune, a bad brake master cylinder with dead front brake pads, the front end was completely shot (death wobbles at speed and on braking requiring tie rods, ends, draglink, and steering arm) and the steering relay had to be rebuilt. With all this, I agreed on a price reduction with the seller and arranged for shipment up to CT.

Sent from my iPhone

Given that a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a few of the interior. Headliner is shot, door seals are all shot, door panels are beat up, interior, pillars and roof all need to be sanded, treated, and painted.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391439691.840756.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391439711.018740.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391439727.757051.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391439691.840756.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391439711.018740.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391439727.757051.jpg

There's no truth in advertising, period, especially eBay.

Learned that on the first Pig, so thought of play it safe and buy the second from Mud.....and was screwed on the title for it.

Anyhow, what's the story on the dome light?

image-3800202486.jpg

image-3800202486.jpg

I believe the dome light came from underneath the previous owners' kitchen cabinets.

If anyone is looking to redo a kitchen in 70's retro classic and would like to buy my dome light, message me.

Sent from my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom