Putting in my old school stereo in my fj. Anyone else have same Era gear in their rigs? Or even if not, show me your custom stereos! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just realized I didn't get a pic of my subs. I'll get one after dinner and post it.

20200302_165652.jpg

20200302_165550.jpg

20200302_165522.jpg

20200302_165512.jpg

Old school gear. Including an ads powerplate I got at a yard sale last summer for a 2 or 3 dollars. It works. One Boston pro and one soundstream reference tweeter. Can't find the matches for them... It's been about a dozen years since they were used.

20200302_192527.jpg

20200302_192544.jpg

20200302_192538.jpg

20200302_193257.jpg

Love it! It completes the period-correctness of these old rigs and if you don't need bluetooth or cameras, just feels right. I have a special liking to those PPI amps as they were very big in the IASCA circuit when I was competing, and was on the record-holding dB Bronco at the time. I also liked their output much better than the former white "tropical" version that preceded them. I've got a mix of an old Alpine deck, Xtant amps and Zed US Acoustics amps to power MB Quart speakers and a Ground Zero sub of that same era. I remember those Orions in paired 10"s being the hot stuff back then, a little before Kicker Solo-Barics came on the scene. Of course, everyone flocked to the Cerwin-Vega Strokers.

Love it! It completes the period-correctness of these old rigs and if you don't need bluetooth or cameras, just feels right. I have a special liking to those PPI amps as they were very big in the IASCA circuit when I was competing, and was on the record-holding dB Bronco at the time. I also liked their output much better than the former white "tropical" version that preceded them. I've got a mix of an old Alpine deck, Xtant amps and Zed US Acoustics amps to power MB Quart speakers and a Ground Zero sub of that same era. I remember those Orions in paired 10"s being the hot stuff back then, a little before Kicker Solo-Barics came on the scene. Of course, everyone flocked to the Cerwin-Vega Strokers.
I actually had a first Gen solo about 5 years before these came out. The square solos came out the next year if that's what youre thinking. The first 2 or 3 gens were round but they all were meant for the same small sealed box. Just like these orions.but these offered dvc and were much much louder. I have done comparisons with the same amps and same boxes but these well outperformed the solos. I imagine because of the dvc. I am debating building a plexi windowed box for them to show off their cool old school cast baskets. Trying to figure out the dimensions for a 4th order bandpass right now. Fs are 22 and qes is. 46 if anyone has a box calculator program.

Old school amps are cool, but the capacitors probably need replacing. There is a large group of people who restore them.

Those old Boston speakers were/are awesome. Probably one of the best sounding, I have experienced. They can probably use new surrounds.

Old school amps are cool, but the capacitors probably need replacing. There is a large group of people who restore them.

Those old Boston speakers were/are awesome. Probably one of the best sounding, I have experienced. They can probably use new surrounds.
The Bostons actually look pretty good. I haven't fired them up but they are rubber surrounds so they haven't deteriorated. I fired up both the 250 and the 2100 yesterday and both pounded the one Orion 2nt and a freebie kicker compr 12 that I got gifted to me. It's a 2016 version. And my orion even in a box that didn't seal up correctly way out performed it. Both dvc wired to 2 ohms.
I have replaced some of the caps on the 450 myself. And have no problems doing the work myself. If I need to. But this generation has some great caps that seem to stand the test of time. The 450s caps weren't blown but when I had it open to repair one of the rca inputs I inspected them and noticed I think a pair that were bulging. It's been about 10 years since I did that so im not sure if I'm remembering correctly. It was the last time these saw any action. Haha maybe even 12 years.

I have my ebay notifications set to tell me any time one of these amps comes up for sale. I jumped on the 2100 within 5 mins of getting the email last summer. The guy posted it buy it now for 100 bucks.. I couldn't pass that up! I actually hadn't even tested it until last night. So glad it worked. Haha

My PPI 2150 was pretty good. Just ran a single 10" sub in a 5th (or 7th?) order bypass. Also had the Bostons in 6.5 in the doors. Good times...

The Bostons actually look pretty good. I haven't fired them up but they are rubber surrounds so they haven't deteriorated. I fired up both the 250 and the 2100 yesterday and both pounded the one Orion 2nt and a freebie kicker compr 12 that I got gifted to me. It's a 2016 version. And my orion even in a box that didn't seal up correctly way out performed it. Both dvc wired to 2 ohms.
I have replaced some of the caps on the 450 myself. And have no problems doing the work myself. If I need to. But this generation has some great caps that seem to stand the test of time. The 450s caps weren't blown but when I had it open to repair one of the rca inputs I inspected them and noticed I think a pair that were bulging. It's been about 10 years since I did that so im not sure if I'm remembering correctly. It was the last time these saw any action. Haha maybe even 12 years.

I was a fan of the Phoenix Gold M series and PPI Art Series (Should have been called Asia album artwork series).

Now if you can produce a Zapco 200A or an Orion HCCA, post up.

I have a bunch of old school car audio. Phoenix gold ms2250s ms275s ms2125s mps2500 mq430 oz audio super man series 6 1/2 separates bunch of mb quart seperates audio control 4xs in white color epicenter Phoenix gold nass cube jl audio first gen 12w6s some orion processors. I competed for years and also worked at a car audio shop named discount auto sound in Va Beach Va from 1992 till around 2000. Built all kinds of competition vehicles worked on wu tangs vehicles before anyone knew who they were Teddy Riley Missy Elliot Timberland and a bunch of other big name people and a bunch of big time drug dealers too ooooh the 90's. We were also ppi dealer had ellma gates bronco at our shop for about a month along with the Panasonic/ PPI desert race truck that was real fun to ride in.
Tommy

I have a bunch of old school car audio. Phoenix gold ms2250s ms275s ms2125s mps2500 mq430 oz audio super man series 6 1/2 separates bunch of mb quart seperates audio control 4xs in white color epicenter Phoenix gold nass cube jl audio first gen 12w6s some orion processors. I competed for years and also worked at a car audio shop named discount auto sound in Va Beach Va from 1992 till around 2000. Built all kinds of competition vehicles worked on wu tangs vehicles before anyone knew who they were Teddy Riley Missy Elliot Timberland and a bunch of other big name people and a bunch of big time drug dealers too ooooh the 90's. We were also ppi dealer had ellma gates bronco at our shop for about a month along with the Panasonic/ PPI desert race truck that was real fun to ride in.
Tommy
You ever want to sell any of it? If I am going to go period correct I want to do it right.
I'd give it a good home, pay a reasonable price and build log for everyone.

Tommy
I had a m100 with a solo 15 for a little bit. I loved Phoenix gold gear. The zx(?) series I believe it was, with the fans and plexi were soo friggin cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom