Putting a swaybar on 1984 rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
I’ve been using my FJ60 for longer trips now that I’ve got a new fuel injected motor. I am about to put a RTT on it for the first time.

I’ve been running an Alloy ARB roof rack with some weight on it but not quite as much as the new FrontRunner/AutoHome Columbus will be.

Suspension now is an OME heavy with 2 leafs out of the rear pack on one side and one on the other to make it sit level (ish)

Because of all that I get a bit more sway. The front bar is hooked up but I would like to add one to the rear now. I think that will make it perfect for mountain roads.

I’ve got a FJ55 rear swaybar setup here on my parts pig. Has anyone ever added an FJ55 sway bar to an FJ60?

Also, I could source a FJ80 or 62.....

My 60 ......

74657A78-6ACD-44C0-A6BD-7D8245D2C68D.jpeg

Use the 62 axle. I have September 85 and had the tabs already on rear axle. I bought a rear sway bar and mounts off someome here on MUD. The only delay was just sourcing the extended rear links for the lift which I forgot to buy. You will like the stability on the highway.

If you are interested I have a set of mounts for the frame, just need to press in one new bolt..old one broke. Good luck

Making tabs out of some 1” square tube and welding them to existing rear axle to use the 62 swaybar would be the first way I would do it.

I’ve been using my FJ60 for longer trips now that I’ve got a new fuel injected motor. I am about to put a RTT on it for the first time.

I’ve been running an Alloy ARB roof rack with some weight on it but not quite as much as the new FrontRunner/AutoHome Columbus will be.

Suspension now is an OME heavy with 2 leafs out of the rear pack on one side and one on the other to make it sit level (ish)

Because of all that I get a bit more sway. The front bar is hooked up but I would like to add one to the rear now. I think that will make it perfect for mountain roads.

I’ve got a FJ55 rear swaybar setup here on my parts pig. Has anyone ever added an FJ55 sway bar to an FJ60?

Also, I could source a FJ80 or 62.....

My 60 ......

View attachment 1590265

Yo! I snapped a couple pics of @xtiaan2000's FJ55 which he has adapted his FJ55 swaybar to mount to his FJ60 FF rear axle. Hope this helps in your quest.

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

Heck yes! That’s what I’m looking for

He welded tabs onto the axle for the sway bar brackets.

The upper away bar mounts were a custom fabricated deal. You'll likely find something that will work on summit.

The 62 front sway bar is larger diameter than the 60. Since the 62 came with front and rear, I assumed mr t engineers had a plan and I have ft and rr 62 sways on my 60. It handles much better on curves roads. Once you settle the weight into the turn it corners very flat and consistent.

as I recall the 86 and 87 year mode FJ60 had the holes in the frame and the tabs on the axle for the sway bar that the FJ62 went to in 88. Seems like it would not be much of a big deal to fab similar tabs on your present FJ60 axle and potentially also drill the related holes in the frame for the FJ62 sway bar mounts. I bought a sway bar off a FJ62 in parts as i recall and it came with the frame mounts...I think the rest of parts are/were still available (new.) and I used some extended links too. Anyway the FJ62 bar is almost a bolt on type of thing, even on the older model FJ60 having to modify the axle (tabs) and make the couple of holes). Don't know what might be available new, seems like the bolts that mount in the frame (the end links of hte sway bar) seem to deteriorate pretty bad. In my case I could use the used frame mounts but the related bolts were almost to the post of being trashed given the degradation of the threads due to rust and the bolt in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom