Pulled the trigger on a H150 box for my HzJ76 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just agreed on a H150 (I think) with a part time transfer case to replace the R151 in my HzJ76.

I want to prepare everything before putting it in and hopefully do it over a weekend as this is our 2nd vehicle. (The DD for whoever is doing the lease distance on the day.) Where she really works is doing 3 or 4 extended trips around Southern Africa per year. We travel alone, are not young any longer and need reliability. The R151 is already doing the transfer of oil from box to TX case and apparently this is an early warning of trouble to com.

The box is from a FZJ71 I believe. Vin JTELJ71J4000356* Toyo DIY is a little unsure if it’s an 150 or a 151, but I suspect 150. All seem to have 275 clutches and identical forks and bearings and spigots.

My HzJ76 has the same fork and pivot ball part number, and a 275 clutch, so it looks as if matching will not be a problem.

What can I look forward to, problem wise.

I got some useful information here, but it is not exactly apples with apples.

https://www.exploroz.com/forum/103115/hzj-105-1hz-r151-to-h151-conversion

What I know I will need is a bell housing HD or Hz to H15o/151

The H151 (non turbo100) has the gear lever above the gears in the box while the R151 has the lever above the casing between gears and transfer case! So anyone know how much this will push the lever forward in the cab??

I also am not sure of the transfer case outputs, but I am expecting to have to lengthen/ shorten prop shafts, but that’s a small price to pay.

I am getting the cross member as well, so this may just fit. I expected the donner to be leaf sprung, but it has coils up front, so I am hopeful

Can anyone add to the pros and cons?

Pro:

Stronger gearbox
Retaining part time 4x4
No “conversion”, all off the shelf Toyota parts
Peace of mind in the wild

Cons:

It’s hard work.
Higher overdrive gearing
Possible body work hack for gear lever
Finding a bellhousing

It will be a pleasure to keep a thread going on this, but it may take a while, as the new box has not been delivered yet, it may a need a rebuild, bell housing must be sourced and the inevitable
GOTCHA’s that spring up.

Anyone out there done this before? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

George.

I can’t answer most of your questions, but I do have a 1HZ/H150 combo in an 80-series and an R150 in my Prado, and could get some shifter location measurements if you want. Good luck with the conversion!

Higher overdrive gearing
Possible body work hack for gear lever
Finding a bellhousing

I would consider the higher overdrive a plus, I think the 1HZ will handle it ok on flat roads
I don't think the body will need to be hacked.
The bell housing wont be easy. No one likes separating them. Can you buy them new?

So I measured the two transmissions (roughly)
H150f: 26.7cm from front face to center of shifter
R150f: 31.8cm from front face to center of shifter
The H150/1HZ bellhousing is 20cm long, not sure how long the R151/1HZ bellhousing is.

I hadn’t taken a close look at the H150 before; wow it is a lot bigger than the R-series! Looking at the transmission tunnel in my LJ78 an H150 would fill it right up!

Cheers Airhead
Lucky the HzJ76 in 2007 was built to accomadate the V8 but we got the 4.2 here in SA, so you got the hood intercooler bump, but also the
wider front end and gearbox tunnel to suit a H150/151/152. Hopefully even the cross member mounts will play nice as well.

@ Ross . I meant that the engine will rev slightly higher . the R151 is a .836 and the H150 is .881 oin overdrive ratio.
Not too worried about this. On paper, the H150 with 235/85x16 tyres still gets better revs/km than the r151 with the origional 265/70x16's

dunno if help ... but I put a H150 on my 80 and the position on the snifter it's right there .. you would not notice the difference in the real world application ( in my case )

Cheers Tap
It looks as if any mutilation will be minimal.
Thank you for not trying to convince me to go to a 300mm clutch.

G

I cant remember if this one was a 150 or 151, it was in a 05 HDJ78. But a work of art for sure.

exotic cruisers 036.jpg

exotic cruisers 035.jpg

Bloody Norah, thats neat, but no, mine will be clean and tidy, but I'm
not about to get the matal polish out. Fits nice and snug though.

Please remind me again where I can find a manual for the H150/151 gearbox ???

Not trying to hijack but this is relevant to the thread.

Does anyone have the Factory part number for the H152? Is it the same dimensions as the H150 including input shaft (splines and length)?

Does your local Toyota dealer happen to have the H152 part number Rosco? I understand it may be only an Australian market offering. Is that correct?

I'm not sure if its Australia only or not. Dealers here are not very helpful with part numbers and such. An email to Beno , your local friendly US dealer would be the best. But I think he was stumped as well. There is a thread about this somewhere from a few months back. The parts diagram only shows the gears from the 150 and 151. I have looked at Australian spec'd models with no success.
Here is one thread 2017 70 Series H151 transmission compared to 2012 H151

Found it
33030 TRANSMISSION UNIT ASSY, MANUAL
33030-60B91 H150 1
33030-60C50 H152

Its seems only the troop carrier (VDJ78) and wagon (VDJ76) are Australian market vehicles. The VDJ79 single and dual cab are GEN market.
And in the parts diagrams only the troopy and 4dr wagon has the H152. But if you look at the Toyota Australia pressroom release , under the driveline spec at the bottom, it shows all models having the H152.

Pressroom - Toyota - Press Kit Details

So is it essentially the same box and guts as an H150 aside from 2nd and 5th gear? Is there somewhere that does a side by side comparo?

Mods, please move this into another thread if it is too far off topic.

OK, so my box has not arrived yet, but the parts are comming in:
IMG_8667.JPG

As predicted by some members, the housing (Hz/HD to H150/H151) was hard to come by second hand but I snagged this one from a supplier who specializes in excess stock from the likes of Austrailia , Europe and Asia. Cost about 300 USD.
I wanted a 31111-60210 but only managed to get a 31111-60290. It seems fine and the only difference seems to be a vent in the top and two inspection openings also on top, missing.
The other good news is that the Vin fom the donor vechile points to a H151 gearbox , this confirmed by the 14 spline clutch plate.
Hz's normally use the H150 which has a very tall ( granny) 1st gear, and personally I don't like them. I think the H150 was born of heavy 80 series vehicles with 4.1 diffs. In a 76 with 4.3 diffs i believe it will be just dandy with the H151.

Stay tuned as the box gets delivered next week.

G

Rock and roll
The box is here, off loaded and some crutial measurments taken, I say crutial because they would descide on whether its going to be a long or a short project.
IMG_8739.JPG

Firstly, it is a H150, yes, it has the heavy 14 spline input shaft, but, you get 1 output rotation per 4.5 input rotations in 1st gear, so in my book that makes it an H150. Ja?? I'll take it .
The measurements I talked about are:

Distance from bellhousing/ engine face to mounting bolts on the cross member- A ball hair off being identical = Good

Distance from bellhousing to rear output shaft flange - about 2cm shorter than the R151- No need to lengthen the output shaft-and if i do, it wont need to be straight away.= Good

Distance from bellhousing to front output shaft flange- identical= very good

IMG_8740.JPG

Bellhousing to gear lever - about 8cm further forward , but the gear lever bends backwards, so, eyeballing it, it looks as if the knob will be in a similar position.

Bellhousing to transfer lever- Hard to say, but still not going to be bashing into the heater and it looks as if it can be bent backwards as well. Not a train smash, as we say here.

Identical drive shaft flange bolt patterns : 60mm square front and 66mm square rear.

Cross members look identical- certainly the frame mountings are, so I don't expect any problems here- It's one area where I would tolerate a spacer washer or ovaled out hole, but , for now, it looks golden.

Definately has a HF1A fully manual (No motors) transfer case. H,L,N and 4x4 all on the same lever- so I retain the part time 4x4

So, for now it looks as if the only cutting may be the tunnel for the gear levers, just a bit, and I got the tunnel cover from the donor truck.

Reversce and 4x4 switch plugs look the same.

IMG_8745.JPG

Speedo is also electric and plug looks the same, but I'm b not sure if its going to work properly without some jiggy pockery.

So with a few big friends and a gearbox jack, it could be a 1 day job.

G

OK, so for those interested the vin from the donor was JTELJ71J400003568,

Things are looking good, and I guess some of you ask why I don't just wack it in and be done with it.

Well, the donor was probally running OK when it hit a sand bank and got scraped, but I have no idea of the km's on the clock. It all seems to work and clicks and engages in all the correct places and the oil, was present and did not look too bad. Also, there are no gouges on any of the bolts which hold it all together, so if it was pulled appart before it was not by a wrecker.

It is a box where you can remove the transfer box and caseings without upsetting the actual settings ( Thrust clearences), so, I may just do that and have a look around and check all the clearances that I can, and replace seals while I'm there.
There is leak anyway, but it may have a been a plug seal, who knows.

Is this Toyota sealant, or has the box been worked on?? It seems quite firm and is not cheap silicon?
IMG_8742.JPG

IMG_8741.JPG

Are there any gaskets in these boxes, or just sealent and oil seals???

More good news is that the existing bellhousing ( FZ) is 6mm shorter than the new HZ/HD housing, so gears levers further back, and cross member location will now be perfect, and better for the rear drive shaft which will now be about 1,5cm short but, IMO, well within the slip joint travel.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom