2017 70 Series H151 transmission compared to 2012 H151 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As we all know, Toyota has updated the H151 transmission in the 2017 70 Series making changes to 2nd gear (7% taller) and 5th gear (15% taller).

Perth Diesel Performance has a short video covering the installation of a 2017 H151 in a 2012 70 single-cab. They compared rpms at 3 speeds between the two transmissions.

2012 gearbox, 33" tires, 80 kph, 1950 rpm
2017 gearbox, 33" tires, 80 kph, 1550 rpm

2012 gearbox, 33" tires, 100 kph, 2400 rpm
2017 gearbox, 33" tires, 100 kph, 2000 rpm

2012 gearbox, 33" tires, 110 kph, 2525 rpm
2017 gearbox, 33" tires, 110 kph, 2150 rpm

I haven't done the calculation but 400 rpm over the life of the transmission could be worth the gas saved, if you were to switch to a newer transmission and sell off the old one. That, and the benefits of that many fewer gas stops over the life of the vehicle, etc.

Just for clarification, the new transmission is the H152 and its replacing the H150.

Hello,

The FZJ71/73/75/78 also had the H151 transmission, at least in some select markets.

Juan

Does anyone know the part number of the new H152 gearbox?

I have a h151 at home that's in need of a rebuild if anyone can find me the parts number for the taller 5th from the h152

I'll see if it will fit the shafts on the 151, which I'm pretty certain share the same shaft as the 150 maybe that way it will be a cheaper modification rather then buying a whole box

I have a h151 at home that's in need of a rebuild if anyone can find me the parts number for the taller 5th from the h152

I'll see if it will fit the shafts on the 151, which I'm pretty certain share the same shaft as the 150 maybe that way it will be a cheaper modification rather then buying a whole box
The only parts you can reuse from the h151 will be main shaft, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Cluster shaft is different and 1st is from the h150, 5th and the cluster shaft is h152 specific.

I posted this question over at LCOOL as well and am waiting for a response and I thought I would post here as well.

Has anyone successfully swapped an H152 into an HDJ78/79 or HZJ80? Is the box and gears (aside from 2nd and 5th) essentially the same box? Are the input shaft length and size/spline count, and output shaft to attach a transfer case the same, or would you have to swap them over from your H150?

Would it be better to look into the 360 Gearbox and Diffs H15* with a taller 5th gear?

I have heard it has been done but haven't seen/heard results. Thank you in advance for more info.

Last edited:
I know terrain tamer and safari make a taller 5th gear assembly for the r151 and h150 transmissions.

Know of anyone who has successfully changed out their 5th gear using these suppliers?

Know the part number specific to the H150? What all comes in a kit to change over?

Looking for real world actual documented before and after change over information more than Safari or Terrain Tamer supplier website notes/photos.

H150/151 in a 70 series won't be the same as the H150/151 in an 80 series though? Or are they the same? I thought that the 70 series ones were different.

I'd like to get a taller 2nd and 5th gear in the h150f my 80 currently has but don't know how much compatibility there is between 70 and 80 series manual boxes.

Hey Sunrk,

Since you are in Aus, would you contact the Terrain Tamer folks locally and ask them about compatibility between the 2 models? I for one would be very interested in knowing and might pull the trigger on one with more info. Like I said above, I don't want to read the mfr's website so much as have someone with firsthand experience say "Yep did it and it's awesome!" or "Yep did it and it's not worth the time and effort" kind of thing.

There's a place in Oz called 360 Gearbox and diff that do modifications to landcruiser gearboxes to upgrade them for heavy duty use, towing, etc. so I wonder if they've done any work to see if stock 80 series boxes can have a higher ratio 5th gear. h151f already has a higher ratio 1st and 2nd gear compared to h150f so I'm not really sure why there's a need for a higher-again ratio 2nd gear but US market needs are different to Oz market needs. We don't have massive tank-like vehicles that are very common in the US so maybe the desire for a higher 5th gear is to keep up with the Jones so to speak?

Interesting to note that allfourx4 here in Newcastle where I live stocks the TT 70 series 5th gear upgrade. I know that my 80 really has to be pushed to do 100 kph and it sits at 2400 to 2500 rpm in 5th at that speed.

As for 70 vs 80 boxes, I'm told the 70 series h150 is not the same as the 80 series h150?

Last edited:
Haha. Keep up with the Jones’ in the sense of staying with traffic here. The highways and freeways have 65-80 MPH speed limits everywhere.

I contacted 360 over a week ago and asked the same question about the H150 and haven’t heard back.

If I was as close as you are to the expert people at Allfourx4 who knew all about the new H152 I might drop in and ask. My guess is that there may not be much difference between the new H152 box and the older H150 box but those guys could tell us more I bet. They could tell us whether the 70 and 80 series H150 boxes are the same or not. My guess is that they’re the same.

Ask Allfourx4 and tell us what they say. :)

allfourx4 are marketting the TT 70 series gbox kit. I guess the 80 series is seen to been not worth investing time and money into now.

Craig, you're probably correct. The VDJ7* market is where they have their focus set. Lots of $ to be made swapping up to the H152.

The big picture is still "parts is parts". If the H152 box is the same dimensions as the H150 (which should be regardless of 70/80 series), it will physically fit. If the input or output shafts are the difference, they would need to be swapped in order to work. This is the question that needs to be addressed and answered. There isn't access to an H152 in North America that I know of to do a side by side comparo like you could in Aus. The guys at your local AllfourX4 who do the swap over work have probably seen the 2 boxes enough times to know the difference(s) if any and could tell you pretty quickly that they are way different or fairly close (aside from the bellhousing differences).

The larger/longer bellhousing and input shaft extension is exclusive to the VDFT-V engine application and can be removed and replaced with the bellhousing for the 80 series application.

I would bet that you would get an answer from them if you stopped by to shoot the breeze with them. Have you dropped by to ask them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom