PS box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In planning stage for the PS conversion on Oink55. I currently have PS from the previous owner but it’s a Saginaw box. Problem is the chunk out of the front crossmember that I don’t like. What year FJ60 has the most adaptable box? I’ve also heard 77-79 Bronco boxes can work. Ideas?

10CA6E61-D4CA-4BC4-9323-E0AC8AC03870.png

Any 60 or 80 box will work. It requires some fab work. The early 60 box has a different bolt pattern than the later boxes. The later style bolt pattern is the same as the 80 box, so a direct swap if you decide to upgrade.

I'm set up a 60 front axle and in the end went with an 80 box (stronger), but used the 60 pitman arm because I have 60 tie rod ends. I'm not sure if the 55 tie rod ends will fit a 60 box (pitman arm). In any case I would send it off to Redhead and have it rebuilt right away. Some fellas are using different type boxes like @Megadoomer which work well, too.

I got a 78 Bronco box. It is bigger and less than half the cost of the the toyota 60/80, and the scout box that is basically unobtanium now.
Do you have any pix of your conversion? I've looked, but there is so much information on this site that I can't find particular items generally.... but it does lead to lots of fun surfing....

I'm set up a 60 front axle and in the end went with an 80 box (stronger), but used the 60 pitman arm because I have 60 tie rod ends. I'm not sure if the 55 tie rod ends will fit a 60 box (pitman arm). In any case I would send it off to Redhead and have it rebuilt right away. Some fellas are using different type boxes like @Megadoomer which work well, too.

I got the heads up that a brand new 80 box is available, I researched up here and found it to be anout the same cost as buying (another) used box and having it rebuilt… dunno?

My conversion starts on page 28 of the Megadoomer build. I just saw the price you linked for that box. When I was looking 60 and 80 were like $500-$900. I got my Bronco box for $350 from Rockauto and there was no core charge.

Thought I had a genuine FJ55 power steering box but…if I try to attach it to the stock manual box mount the input shaft faces either up or down, not towards the steering column. I’m confused….

133DF482-88F4-4CD6-972A-957FD48A5E68.jpeg

D67A7F9A-0F81-4091-8576-13F824AF6313.jpeg

9B05C421-6D55-498F-BEF9-0E10667B977D.jpeg

40BDD9B8-731B-46C3-B553-850F32A65181.jpeg

I’m no expert but that looks like a mini truck box.

Did you get a RHD box on accident?

Easy peasy conversion using an early mini truck box (I think 1985 and earlier is the cutoff) with the right mount. I think my mount came from Iron Pig Offroad back in the day. Some claim they won’t hold up to hard use with big tires but mine’s been fine with up to 33s. But I do run a GM small block so 200+ lbs lighter in front than any F engine. Nice ratio. Much nicer than the Saginaw box a PO put into my first Pig. Steering on that one was way too light and fast and I never liked the crossmember surgery.

The only value I can add is that you might try Georg @orangefj45 of Valley Hybrids for a mount that will put a mini-truck box on your 55 in the factory location.

I went 60 box on my 40, and then my Pig came w/ 60 series PS conversion already complete.
The 60 boxes do have two different bolt patterns. Ironically, I ended up w/ both patterns between my 40 and 55.

If I were doing it again, I would check out an 80 box w/ 60 pitman arm.

I think it was Ron @scrapdaddy asking if you could use the 55 relay rod to a 60 pitman arm - I don't think you can do that. I believe you need a 60 series relay rod end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom